A Nordic point of view to Parhelia's pricing...

Nappe1

lp0 On Fire!
Veteran
Now when we have seen what parhelia has capable and though the drivers seems to be very raw, still it looks like Matrox has heavily priced themselves out of competition at least in here northen parts of Europe.

If we look at the prices at Finland:
Retail: 525-549 €
http://www.mbnet.fi/hintaseuranta/tuote.asp?TID=8999
Bulk / OEM: 498 - 514 €
http://www.mbnet.fi/hintaseuranta/tuote.asp?TID=9000
(I would like to hear prices from other Scandinavian countries as well.)

Cheapest Duron 1200 based systems starts about from 650 € here. (and that means the whole computer including 17" monitor.) I find myself asking, can I justify putting a price of brand new computer to GFX card that generally speaking is competing against 150 - 250 € cards? (GeForce4Ti4200 and Radeon 8500 128MB.)

To me, this is easily solved. If Matrox doesn't bring soon out 64MB version with competitive price, I have no choice skipping this one.
situation for me is the following:
changing ATi AIW Radeon 32Mb AGP to Parhelia: (prices in Euros.)
- selling the AIW: (+150.00)
- Buying Parhelia Retail (-525.00)
- Buying Video In card to watch television via VCR (-75.00)
- Buying WinXP license (no win98 drivers for P atm.) (-130.00)
TOTAL COST: 580.00 Euros.
(which is 75% of my monthly income right now.)

There's no way having a afford to Parhelia. :( And I have my doubts it's selling generally at the Nordic countires. Thanks to some huge VATs here, prices are more than just high.

I would like to hear some comments from Denmark, Sweden and Norway. (Of course comments from Iceland are welcome too)

Nappe,

Just wait until R300 is announced/released. I would be willing to bet that their price point will effectively force (though I understand Matrox doesn't always play by the rules) Parhelias cost downward.

In doing that, you can be sure that the drivers will have had a chance to not only mature, but be tested/addressed by actual users "in the field."

My guess is that, before it's all said and done...if you're willing to wait, you will be able to pick up a Parhelia for under $300.00 USD. For a new 3D board, I think that's pretty reasonable.

Best price in Sweden (that i could find at least) is 530 €

To compare, i got my Leadtek GFTi4400 for 320 € a week ago and the cheapest 64 Mb GF 4 ti4200 cost 225 €

You think thats bad, you should see how it is for me, down under!!!

The average price for Ti4600 is $900.

God only knows what the price will be for the Parhelia.

Found a price for the OEM (bulk) version, its the only one I could find, but these guys are usually very cheap. Now wait for it.... $924

Don't you just love being an Australian! o_O

Fuz said:
Found a price for the OEM (bulk) version, its the only one I could find, but these guys are usually very cheap. Now wait for it.... $924

Don't you just love being an Australian! o_O

Retail 128MB Leadtek GF4 Ti 4600s are around AUD$700. 64MB MSI GF4 Ti 4200s are around AUD$400. Less @ "swap meets", I'm told... Check these guys out: CWorld

In Norway I've found the Parhelia priced at 3.880,- NOK (OEM) and 4.158,- NOK (retail). With today's exchange rates that about 527€/$512 and 565€/$549. Estimated delivery date (unconfirmed) 5th of August.

I seem to remember the G400 (or was it the MAX) was ~4 months delayed in Norway compared to US/Canada, since they wanted to saturate their local markets first. If they do the same with the Parhelia, it could some mean pretty bad sales in Europe, since I'm fairly sure that we'll know a lot more about R300 and/or NV30 within that timeframe.

*Edit* For comparison some GF4 4600 and Radeon prices:
Abit 3.880NOK/527€/$512
ASUS 4.065NOK/553€/$537 (ViVo, 3D glasses)
Creative 3.603NOK/490€/$476
Gainward 3.995NOK/543€/$527 (ViVo, Firewire)
Hercules 3,052NOK/415€/$403 (8500, 128MB)
Hercules 3,695NOK/502€/$488 (8500DV, 128MB)
MSI 3,839NOK/522€/$507 (ViVo)

So, here in Norway the retail Parhelia is more expensive than the most expensive GF4 4600 (Asus). They really have to reduce prices if they want this thing to sell.

Finland is not a Scandinavian country. It's a Nordic country though.

Scandinavia = Denmark, Norway and Sweden

Nordic countries = above + Finland and Iceland

I've just seen this misconception a little too much lately, so it's nothing personal Nappe1. :)

I'm Swedish btw.

CosmoKramer said:
Finland is not a Scandinavian country. It's a Nordic country though.

Scandinavia = Denmark, Norway and Sweden

Nordic countries = above + Finland and Iceland

I've just seen this misconception a little too much lately, so it's nothing personal Nappe1. :)

I'm Swedish btw.

ah...
I was looking for term "nordic" but being tired and a bit upset from benchmarks seen today, I really wasn't keen to look for that term from dictionary. I'll fix it from my posts...

Shouldn't we all wait till Doomsday3 and UT2, even in Scandinavia or atleast till 3dMark 2002 release in Finland :LOL:
If we look at the rapid pricedump of e.g. ati 8500 and Geforce4ti it will happen to Matrox too. Arround december the price must be came down to a reasonable point 8)
And don't forget: Matrox was always something special to own and much more exspensiv than the rest ;)

Back