Sad day for high quality. Pioneer ends Plasma Production

RobertR1

Pro
Legend
Glad I have my PRO151. Without a rabbit to chase, I wonder how Panasonic and Samsung future offerings will be in terms of performance. Thanks for the Kuro Pioneer. It's damn awesome.

02/06 12:12P (DJ) DJ Pioneer To End TV Production, Spin Off DVD
Development-Nikkei
Story 6368 (6752.TO, 6753.TO, 6773.TO, PC, SHCAY, JP3359600008...)
TOKYO (Nikkei)--Pioneer Corp. (6773.TO) will pull the plug on its
loss-ridden television business and shift its DVD player operations to a new
venture with Sharp Corp. (6753.TO) in a sweeping overhaul, The Nikkei reported
in its Thursday morning edition.
The company had been planning to end in-house production of plasma panels by
the end of March and outfit its TVs with Panasonic Corp. (6752.TO) panels
instead. Faced with worsening profit margins, however, it has decided to end
TV development and production altogether.
Pioneer will idle its lone domestic TV factory in Shizuoka Prefecture
sometime this year. Factories in the U.S. and Europe are already slated for
closure.
Sales of Pioneer TVs will continue for the time being. The company has not
yet decided what to do when inventories run out.
Meanwhile, Pioneer will spin off its DVD player operations, which are
equally steeped in losses, to a new company to be set up with Sharp as early
as this spring.
The company plans to eliminate several thousand of its roughly 40,000
groupwide jobs in the year ending March 2010. Pioneer is likely to post a
consolidated net loss of more than Y100 billion for the year ending this
March, wider than the Y78 billion loss it forecast earlier.

Stopping TV production/development altogether? Wow, that really sucks.

Given the price premium and Kuro reputation along with the plan to get panels from Panasonic, I'm really surprised they can't be profitable on TVs, even if just for that niche of enthusiasts.

Wow that is quite surprising! It will be interesting to see the prices for the remaining Kuro's on the market. I have always been interested in those tvs.

RobertR1,

how sure are we on this being the case? I have not been over to AVS but so far this is the only source I have seen with this news. I love my Kuro!

RobertR1,

how sure are we on this being the case? I have not been over to AVS but so far this is the only source I have seen with this news. I love my Kuro!

I had a question...did you do anything special to prevent burnin? Have you got your PS3 (if you have one) hooked up to it? Do you mainly watch videos on it or do you do gaming on it as well? I will be in the market for a TV in March end so I am quite curious. I would love to have a plasma, but the higher power draw, possibility of the buzzing sound when the tv operates and burnin are some things that I am concerned about.

When I got mind I follow the process as members had pointed on on the AVS forum, I adjusted my tv settings as per DNICE Burn in thread, downloaded and may my burn in DVD and left it running in my player for the 200 hrs as suggested. Since then, wow I am happy. I wish I could have gotten the 60" but the pocketbook just would not spring for that much. I have it hooked up to my PS3, Xbox360 and the Comcast cable box. I watch all DVDs (execpt for the few HD-DVD) via the PS3. I do all my gaming via the Xbox360. I have not been able to hear the buzzing but due to the way we have our setup I am about 9 ft away. I have turned off the TV if I am playing the game and have to be away for a bit (ie I have not saved my current game and dont want to shut down everything and loose my place) to help to avoid burn in.

When I got mind I follow the process as members had pointed on on the AVS forum, I adjusted my tv settings as per DNICE Burn in thread, downloaded and may my burn in DVD and left it running in my player for the 200 hrs as suggested. Since then, wow I am happy. I wish I could have gotten the 60" but the pocketbook just would not spring for that much. I have it hooked up to my PS3, Xbox360 and the Comcast cable box. I watch all DVDs (execpt for the few HD-DVD) via the PS3. I do all my gaming via the Xbox360. I have not been able to hear the buzzing but due to the way we have our setup I am about 9 ft away. I have turned off the TV if I am playing the game and have to be away for a bit (ie I have not saved my current game and dont want to shut down everything and loose my place) to help to avoid burn in.

Thanks a lot for the post. Appreciate it. I will do a search on that burnin thread. Do you have a link for that burnin DVD? Is that mentioned in that thread?

RobertR1,

A lot of different sources are mentioning the same thing.

I read through all ~40 pages this weekend. :(

Not sure if I'm going to spring for an Elite...even if I can find one.

A lot of different sources are mentioning the same thing.

I read through all ~40 pages this weekend. :(

Not sure if I'm going to spring for an Elite...even if I can find one.

I guess the thinking is if something goes wrong with the tv then it wont get serviced because of lack of parts? Because I see 60 inch Kuros brand new at 3500 from one of my favorite sites which is completely within my budget.

RobertR1,

Yeah it got confirmed by D-Nice also. I'm just hoping the Pioneer sells off the Kuro tech to Panasonic and they can quickly integrate into next year (not upcoming) models.

As for burn in, I followed the breakin in procedure from D-Nice on my pro151, not because of burn in fears but wanting a similar process so I'm more in line with his ISF settings (these settings rock!) I don't worry about all about burn in with the Orbitor turned to "Mode 2" I'll leave my 360 on a game pause screen for an hour + sometimes or have marathon sessions of the same game and never once even seen a trace of image retention, nevermind burn in.

It's just sad to see the rabbit drop out of the race. I was quite excited to get a 11thG ECC 5lumen Elite from Pioneer but that's gone now :(

So now would probably be a good time to get a Kuro then...

Yeah. Go on avsforum. Contact a couple of avsforum sponsors and see what pricing you get. If it's good enough for you, go for it. The Elites come with a 2 years warranty and 1 year for the regular. You can use service menu offsets in the non elites to fix the grayscale but they still won't have the color accuracy of the Elites nor will you be able to defeat the DNR options.

Roman and buybestplasma.com john marty at axxisdurango.com are if you're in the NY areas Robert @ valueelectronics.com is great also. I got mine from John Marty at axxis and it was a wonderful transaction. I'd recommend a Kuro to anyone that cares about picture quality.

Yeah. Go on avsforum. Contact a couple of avsforum sponsors and see what pricing you get. If it's good enough for you, go for it. The Elites come with a 2 years warranty and 1 year for the regular. You can use service menu offsets in the non elites to fix the grayscale but they still won't have the color accuracy of the Elites nor will you be able to defeat the DNR options.

Roman and buybestplasma.com john marty at axxisdurango.com are if you're in the NY areas Robert @ valueelectronics.com is great also. I got mine from John Marty at axxis and it was a wonderful transaction. I'd recommend a Kuro to anyone that cares about picture quality.

Thanks a lot for that info. I am in the Atlanta area right now and I would love to have a Kuro. I found a non-elite 60 inch for around 3500 but I am sure the elites are going to run me around 5k which is fine as well. I take it you are the proud owner of an elite? :)

Thanks a lot for that info. I am in the Atlanta area right now and I would love to have a Kuro. I found a non-elite 60 inch for around 3500 but I am sure the elites are going to run me around 5k which is fine as well. I take it you are the proud owner of an elite? :)

Yeah, I had a 6020 but a small (and financially stupid) voice in the back of my head kept saying "why don't you get the elite so you can stop thinking of the stuff you're missing out." As often, the voice won and I got the 60inch Elite and have been very happy with it's performance.

Yeah but that's not the only thing I've left on pause. BR's, HD DVD's, DVD's, cable programs. I abuse pause.

Thanks RobertR1! Good to know. I think I will be making a few trips to the home theater places around where I live...apparently I found quite a few from Pioneer's website. I am going to find out and see what's what. I am torn between the 55 inch Sony XBR8 or the 60 inch PIoneer...still not sure about the Elite model but I guess it does not make sense at all because the XBR8 is more expensive than the Elite!! Go figure...

Thanks RobertR1! Good to know. I think I will be making a few trips to the home theater places around where I live...apparently I found quite a few from Pioneer's website. I am going to find out and see what's what. I am torn between the 55 inch Sony XBR8 or the 60 inch PIoneer...still not sure about the Elite model but I guess it does not make sense at all because the XBR8 is more expensive than the Elite!! Go figure...

That is because it says "sony" and they can still charge more for that even if the quality is not as high.

Is there a LCD, either Sony or Samsung that can rival Pioneer's dynamic range and colors ? IMO, even Panasonic's PZ/PY series are better than any LCD out there in all aspects expect power consumption.

Back