Nehalem-EX news...

fellix

Veteran
Intel confirms 8-core, 16-thread Nehalem-based Xeon processor

46003583bc3.png

Yummy, eight cores and sixteen threads. I have no clue what I'd use all that power for, but turning on my PC and watching all the lights in my neighborhood go dim for the first two seconds of POST would give me wood...

:D

Heh, and my girlfriend was just blown away by the performance of Adobe Fireworks on my E6600. Damn I want one of these!

What a monster!

I noticed it is Xeon family. Does it mean it needs special mobo and RAM?

Most probably. I think this one is quad channel too.

Yeah and I think this seems like it is sort of a stepping stone to what the Westmere is going to be next year. Boy I cant wait for next year when I splurge on all new machine again! :) Not that my machine right now isnt adequate...well the graphics cards arent...:(

I think it's socket LGA-1567 and it seems to still require FB-DIMMs (Why?). It also has 4 QPI Link so I think you can go 4-way for 32 cores system capable of 64 threads. It'll be a beast. It'll chomp your wallet with your hand. :)

Seriously you're going to splurge for this ?

This is a Tigerton replacement, its socket will only be found on four-way boards. It will be incredibly expensive, and not targeted at power users in the least. It's not a workstation CPU.

Westmere will apparently have six cores, it's not related to this any more than other Nehalem designs.

to add a precision, it has been said the new itanium will run on the same socket and chipset (that's right, itanium.). I wonder if they will even allow xeon and itanium running on the same system.

Back