help- Closing bank account- Moving out of state

Moloch

God of Wicked Games
Veteran
I am moving to Indiana and there isn't a branch of my bank (Bofm) within a reasonable distance(nearest is over an hour an half away) so I need to close the account, the problem is that I will still have some activity going on (deposits) when I leave. When I get a new bank will they be able to close the account and transfer all my money? I've never closed an account before and google wasn't that helpfull :oops:

Just wait to close it till you move.

Get a new bank setup whereever you move.

You can use internet banking while you are away.

take most $ out in a cashier's check to you
open new account at new bank with check
write a letter closing the old account

Or have them direct wire money to the new account.

Or have the new bank direct withdraw from the old account.

You don't need to be there in person to do any of this.

Or have them direct wire money to the new account.

Or have the new bank direct withdraw from the old account.

You don't need to be there in person to do any of this.

Though you almost always have to send a closure notice in writing.

When I switched bank about 10 years ago I never had to contact my old bank about it. I went to the new bank, asked them to open an account for me, and transfer the money. They could even close the old account with the other bank for me.

When I switched bank about 10 years ago I never had to contact my old bank about it. I went to the new bank, asked them to open an account for me, and transfer the money. They could even close the old account with the other bank for me.

In the US? Wow. I've had to use letters the several times, but maybe that was bank policy.

In the US?

No that was in Sweden. Might be different in the US. Or between different banks. I don't know. All I know is that it was a very problem free experience when I did it back then.

On the other hand, I still have a bank account in Canada, which I can't close without visiting their branches. It was a pain transferring the money when I moved to Sweden. But that's between different countries so I suppose that's a different deal. I eventually wrote a cheque to myself and had my new bank deposit it to my new account. That was the only way to transfer the money without showing up in person, which was kind of hard when I had then moved permanently to Sweden. Took a couple of weeks for the transfer to get through. And they charged me like $100 for it. Cheques are pretty much extinct over here and banks don't want to touch them with a ten foot pole.

Anyway, I figured I might as well keep the Canadian account. Not much money there, but if everything goes to hell here I at least have a small amount saved elsewhere in the world. :)

Humus make sure they don't have inactivity fees. Some banks will start siphoning off your money if you don't do anything with it for a long time.

Good point. Turns out they do. After a year of inactivity the account becomes dormant. And as it turns out, my account went dormant a couple of weeks ago. Couldn't even see my balance when I logged in, other than by looking at account history for last year. It'll be another year before they start charging any money though. But in any case, I guess that means I better grab that money while I can. It's small enough that I can use a bank machine to get it.

Two things...

1. Where you coming to here in Indiana?

2. Don't fret about the bank stuff, just PM me all your account details along with your personal information and I'll take care of it all for you.

I have an account on one of my bank before that became inactive for a couple of years. They never informed me that my account was closed because my credit was below remaining balance. I just found out that there's no money left when i personally visit the bank. They must have sent me a letter or an email to remind me but they didn't.

Wow. Talk about thread resurrection and by a zero post member?!

As to the original 2009 thread: F! BofA - go with a credit union!

Wow. Talk about thread resurrection and by a zero post member?!
No idea why, but the spambots always manage to dredge something up from way back when when posting.

It must be awfully convenient for the mods when banning them, though...

its seems counter productive when the bots is intellegint enough to post in correct topic with relevant post content. but choose out of date topic...

dont they add date/time checking?

Back