Speakers buzz when graphics card turns on

Sxotty

Legend
I noticed recently I get crazy buzzing in my speakers when the 3d card is spooled up running. (Not the fan, just the frequencies b/c it happens as soon as 3d rendering starts).

Anyone have an issue like this before or a solution?

Sound card is ancient game theaterXP, gpu is 8800gt.

Anyway thanks if anyone has a solution or at least a reason for it happening. (I was thinking it might be a power issue, but I have a 480Watt antec PS).

Get a new soundcard, unless you're keen on wrapping the old one in tinfoil :) That's an electromagnetic interference and older hardware usually wasn't properly protected against that.

Maybe just changing the slot will help, but no guarantee.

Yeah I have that happening once in a while on my rig as well. Its not noticeable but I know it was very much so in Crysis and Warhead lol. Especially when the game levels are loading.

I have not had a chance to check any of this stuff yet, but thanks for the input. I will see if I can move the card first. I don't want to buy a new one right now though I can eventually.

No nothing whatsoever. Unless you think that the same process makes no noise, but interferes with my sound card somehow, which I guess is possible. It did the same thing with my ATI card previously though I just never noticed till I played a game on mute b/c my wife was talking on phone, but speakers were still on. (I.E. the sound was software muted).

I noticed recently I get crazy buzzing in my speakers when the 3d card is spooled up running.
I used to get that with a old PC with my PCX2 in it - when it was DMAing data into the 2D card across the PCI bus, the poor quality sound card would pick up the electrical noise and output it as a faint squeal.

I've found that some video cards will dump noise into the power supply. My 8800GTX does that big time. I have a FX 5950U that does it too. Seems to be the big, power hungry cards usually.

You can hear it unless your sound card does some really good noise filtering. Can hear it from the card itself, maybe in the PSU, and through speakers.

Ok everyone I went to a x64 OS and as a result no drivers for soundcard.

I swapped to onboard sound and there is not intereference noise whatsoever now. It took awhile to get it done as I needed mini-->RCA cables which I got from monoprice so it took like 5 days to get them shipped.

Anyway my speakers still have a very small noise they make, but it is consistent and actually is quieter with computer on than off. (This is b/c of how they are hooked up, they go from soundcard--> Amp which is at full blast all the time and has no volume controls). I guess I need some new speakers sometime, but oh well (mine are midiland 7100, but I don't use the box as I lost remote and it only does stereo and dolby digital not surround sound).

Back