Thread of backlog games that don't need their own thread

PARANOiA

Veteran
I thought I'd make a thread detailing some games I'm working through as part of my backlog tidy-up. I'm procuring a lot of cheap games second-hand thanks to after-Xmas splurges and people needing cash :devilish:

Burnout Paradise
Stunning. Probably my favourite "racer" this gen purely due to fun factor. I'm impressed with the amount of free content, and while it's a bit repetitive, it's never really boring, and does the feeling of "just one more event" quite well. Well worth the $AUD40 I paid for it.

Ace Combat 6
Haven't really touched it - and haven't seen much info about it. I've not played an AC since the PS1 original, and it looks good but the first couple of missions didn't have a hook, so it's gone back on the pile.

Pure
Enjoyable popcorn. It's actually a little bit like Skate on a circuit, and I'm enjoying it. The solid visuals don't hurt of course... it's one that's good to run a few events on and then put back on the shelf for a little later.

Prince of Persia
Barely started before a blackout hit (heat wave!). A lot of the feedback I've heard has been that the quality of the game is poor. I'm not expecting Sands of Time -level quality, I just hope it's an enjoyable and stylish adventure. So far the automation of events is a little off-putting, and I'm finding myself pushing too many buttons - a simple tap of "A" seems to do most tricks which makes me feel like I'm not doing enough of the playing myself.

The Last Remnant
Incredible game. Probably my favourite JRPG of this gen, at least in terms of the hook. The battle system works so well when you click with it, and you feel like you're winning because of your brains rather than your level or skill-path. Uninspired story isn't anything worth discussion, and I'm playing it installed, which I'm told helps - haven't bothered to try without it. I'd strongly recommend it for those who enjoy both JRPG and SRPGs. I can see myself doing a second run-through soon, which I haven't done with any RPG (W/J/S) since FF7.

Far Cry 2
Enjoyable up to a point. The game works in a may that made me frustrated for a few hours, then I loved it for about ten hours, and then I got bored from doing the same stuff over and over and sold it. A good experience if you can pick it up for cheap, and makes me excited for the concepts out of this that will be copied in future FPS's.

Guitar Hero 3
Eh. I wanted more music for the GH2 guitar, and this seemed like a cheap option. Average song list, though I love having Cherub Rock in the mix. I only played on medium (thanks for the PM's on Live for those who berated me for this!) but I thought this was supposed to be hard?

Hitman: Blood Money
Interesting concept - I briefly touched the first game on PC, and need to explore this one in a bit more detail. Seems to have a lot of cult love, which is usually a good sign.

Perfect Dark Zero
Got it today for very cheap - haven't touched it yet but I like shooters, particularly non-military/realism based ones. Couldn't pass it up for the price.

PGR4
Basically more of the same as 3 (which was more of 2, etc). Pretty and arcadey - I would really like a 360 futuristic racing title. I can't believe Wipeout still hasn't been beaten after 15-odd years at the top! I'll sink more time into this, but I'm not expecting too many surprises from this one.

Beautiful Katamari
My first Katamari game. Fun and quirky, of course, although I can't believe they'd try and sell this as a full title. Games like this were made for DD.

Feel free to add your own - 'tis the season for backlog after all.

(Wow do I love these time-wasting threads)

For me, my backlog will take years to catch up with, but here's the top of my list:

Sony
FF12 (I purchased it and barely touched it but time hasn't permitted to invest in it)
Persona 3 (It is well-reviewed, old school yet fresh, but ridiculously long)

DS (I'm thinking of purchasing one)
LoZ: Phantom Hour Glass (I'm thinking of purchasing a DS for this game)
New Super Mario Bros (I'm thinking of purchasing a DS for this game)

Tales of Vesperia is currently on deck, but I could certainly add The Last Remnant to the list if people feel it's worthwhile.

Oh gosh where do I begin???

- CDO4
- DMC4
- Heavenly Sword
- Burnout Paradise
- Castle Crashers
- Lost Odyssey
- Uncharted
- etc, etc, etc

The amount of great games this gen is dizzying.

Heh - I guess the initial purpose of this thread was to talk through games you are actually playing in your backlog. I'm always interested to see what people think of any given title after the dust and hype have died down to an extent.

I just played 30mins of PDZ over the weekend and was shocked at how bad it was. On my first mission I was... shooting spider-bots. The visuals were generally poor across the board, and guns felt like toys, and eventually I got killed after running out of ammo. Ugh. I'll step back in later to see if it's "tutorial-itis", but I would have been pretty glum if I bought this on launch day.

For the recommendation above, I have played Kameo, and thought it was great. Absolutely beautiful game, though I never quite finished it. I did beat the water boss though :oops:

I am trying hard to get myself to play SIREN but R2 just doesn't let me do it :p !
ALso, I need to check out Burnout Paradisee and I am aslo currently trying to move further into Far Cry 2 !
Too much and too litttle time................................:(

Hitman: Blood Money
Interesting concept - I briefly touched the first game on PC, and need to explore this one in a bit more detail. Seems to have a lot of cult love, which is usually a good sign.

If you dont stop playing all other games and instead dedicate all your time towards this game .... I will come and kidnap you, tie you to a chair, tape open your eyes and make you watch me clock this game over and over again using the numerous paths/techniques for each mission. :devilish:

Back