Movie Reviews 2.0

Just saw Man of Steel on bluray. I have to say that it is spectacularly bad. The script is so bad and the action sequences are just so over-done. No aspect of the movie made me care; Superman fighting Zod? I don't care. Superman saving Lois Lane? Who cares? Metropolis totally destroyed? Okay, so what? Superman wins? Okay, fine.

There's no humour, no tongue-in-cheek which makes Iron man or the Avengers fun.

It takes itself too seriously, it has a terrible script and no amount of decent acting can save it. I give it 2/10.

I wouldn't go that far, but I saw it recently as well and for me the scene with the dad, the dog and the twister kind of typified to me why the movie didn't quite work. It was all over the place, taking in too many ideas with too little function or the wrong proportion/intensity. I did like the way superman grew into his hero role, I felt that was a story about Superman that hadn't been told to me like that before. But they didn't quite succeed to focus the movie in that direction well enough.

Speaking of twisters have you seen previews for that new "Twister 2" movie? It's called something else but basically it's about a bigass tornado wrecking shit. Could be as goodbad as the first one.

Speaking of twisters have you seen previews for that new "Twister 2" movie? It's called something else but basically it's about a bigass tornado wrecking shit. Could be as goodbad as the first one.

No way! How have I not heard of this? Twister defined my teenage life. Well, 10 minutes of it anyway.

Watched Pain & Gain yesterday.
Daniel Lugo (Wahlberg) convinces his dim-witted fitness instructor buddy Adrian Doorbal (Mackie) about how life's been dealing them a shitty hand for too long, and that they ought to take matters into their own hands and do something about it. The plan is to kidnap a rich Jewish businessman whom Daniel has been training at the Miami Sun Gym, then toture the poor fella until he's willing to sign off all of his eartly belongings to the guys. Lugo even deems this act perfectly just. Afterall the man hasn't been working out hard enough and is therefor deeply unpatriotic and just a plain bad person. In Lugo's eyey, the man simply doesn't deserve the American dream. In order to pull the job off, they seek the help of some extra muscle in the recently converted convict Paul Doyle (a ridiculously juiced-up yet still utterly charmismatic Dwayne The Rock Johnson) It doesn't go quite as planned though, and the man figures out the identity of his captors thanks to Lugo's shitty Cologne. Now they need to get rid of him permanently. Not and easy feat when your hired muscle has found god and basically swore off violence entirely. So despite their worst intentions, the captor manages to survive afterall. It all goes even more sideways from there, as cokaine-fueled arrogance gets the best of the three idiots; toes are being shot off; people get their heads crushed beneath barbells; and cheap Chinese chainsaws prove to be a poor choice for taking human bodies apart.

I don't really get the utter contempt that's generally being leveled at the movie. I also don't get the reverence from a select few critics. I heard people complain about how Bay glorifed the 3 idiots, their superficiality and their crimes, but I never got that impression from the movie at all. Bay makes fun of them all the way through (and of his own body of work for that matter. Maybe even his audience), and we're laughing at them. Never with them. Even Bay's trademark humor that's equal parts casual racism, sexism and dick jokes comes across as oddly fitting for a change. It's also worth mentioning that Wahlberg's manic performance is fantastic. Both him and Johnson have a proven track record when it comes to displaying a real knack for comedic timing, and it's paying off rather handsomely here.

My biggest beef with the film was the bloated 130-minutes running time that's now become a staple of every Bay movie. For a satire about superficiality and physical perfection, there was certainly an awful lot of fat and filler on display, but maybe that was the point all along. Either way, it was certainly boring for extended stretches of its running time and nowhere near as edgy and outrageous as Bay probably thought it was, so I'm only giving it a very mild thumbs down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Watched Pain & Gain yesterday.
Daniel Lugo (Wahlberg) convinces his dim-witted fitness instructor buddy Adrian Doorbal (Mackie) about how life's been dealing them a shitty hand for too long, and that they ought to take matters into their own hands and do something about it. The plan is to kidnap a rich Jewish businessman whom Daniel has been training at the Miami Sun Gym, then toture the poor fella until he's willing to sign off all of his eartly belongings to the guys. Lugo even deems this act perfectly just. Afterall the man hasn't been working out hard enough and is therefor deeply unpatriotic and just a plain bad person. He doesn't deserve the American dream. In order to pull the job off, they seek the help of some extra muscle in the recently converted convict Paul Doyle (a ridiculously juiced-up yet still utterly charmismatic Dwayne The Rock Johnson) It doesn't go quite as planned though, and the man figures out the identity of his captors thanks to Lugo's shitty Cologne. Now they need to get rid of him permanently. Not and easy feat when your hired muscle has found god and basically swore off violence entirely. So despite their worst intentions, the captor manages to survive afterall. It all goes even more sideways from there, as cokaine-fueled arrogance gets the best of the three idiots; toes are being shot off; people get their heads crushed beneath barbells; and cheap Chinese chainsaws prove to be a poor choice for taking human bodies apart.

I don't really get the utter contempt that's generally being leveled at the movie. I also don't get the reverence from a select few critics. I heard people complain about how Bay glorifed the 3 idiots, their superficiality and their crimes, but I never got that impression from the movie at all. Bay makes fun of them all the way through (and of his own body of work for that matter. Maybe even his audience), and we're laughing at them. Never with them. Even Bay's trademark humor that's equal parts casual racism, sexism and dick jokes came across as oddly fitting for a change.
My biggest beef with the film was the bloated 130-minutes running time that's now become a staple of every Bay movie. For a satire about superficiality and physical perfection, there was certainly an awful lot of fat and filler on display, but maybe that was the point all along. Either way, it was certainly boring for extended stretches of its running time and nowhere near as edgy and outrageous as Bay probably thought it was, so I'm only giving it a very mild thumbs down.

I'd never even heard of that film and when it popped up on Sky a couple of months back I only watched it as a last resort because I couldn't find anything else on. Turned out I loved it, brilliant film IMO and one of the best 'unplanned' films I've seen this year.

Just saw Man of Steel on bluray. I have to say that it is spectacularly bad. The script is so bad and the action sequences are just so over-done. No aspect of the movie made me care; Superman fighting Zod? I don't care. Superman saving Lois Lane? Who cares? Metropolis totally destroyed? Okay, so what? Superman wins? Okay, fine.

There's no humour, no tongue-in-cheek which makes Iron man or the Avengers fun.

It takes itself too seriously, it has a terrible script and no amount of decent acting can save it. I give it 2/10.

Batman v Superman is a tense courtroom trial movie depicting the former's attempt to get dour and joyless back, accusing the latter of having committed IP theft.

The newest still of Superman that Zack Snyder released? Another bbs was wondering if that was Metropolis or Gotham, and I replied that it had to be the latter because there were still buildings standing in the background.

I think Superman vs Batman will be the big screen adaptation of Benefits Street, following the lives of a bankrupt Metropolis - sorry but no city would be able to survive financially after such destruction - and our two heroes trying to make ends meet while juggling their romantic lives and trying to establish themselves as useful contributors to society. Clark is broke because the Daily Planet is no more and well he's a farm boy so not much to work with. Bruce was declared bankrupt after a huge investment to rebuild metropolis turned out to be a big scam by a Lex Luthor.
The end.

I saw it yesterday. Funny and clever dialogue, great special effects, engaging characters, and they even have a good reason to get the 70s music into the film. They story was pretty good, and you could understand the reasons for the characters to be motivated the way they were.

I enjoyed it very much, though after being spoiled by a nice TV at home, the cinema seemed a little washed out and not very sharp. We could only get a standard 2D cinema, as the other options were 3D or Imax3D (which neither the wife or I like very much). The film would have benefited from a 2D Imax showing as it's so full of effects.

I just saw Locke with Tom Hardy. It's about a builder who makes a difficult choice and alters his whole life and circumstances because of it.

It is basically Tom Hardy driving a car on the motorway, acting. It is very simple, but it is well done and the acting is fantastic.

I just saw Locke with Tom Hardy. It's about a builder who makes a difficult choice and alters his whole life and circumstances because of it.

It is basically Tom Hardy driving a car on the motorway, acting. It is very simple, but it is well done and the acting is fantastic.

Yeah this one intrigued me, definitely one I want to see. It's hard to make a single room (or car in this case) work in a movie but this is supposed to be done really well.

Punisher Warzone: Nice pick if you're okay with good old fashioned 80s action and don't mind a constant stream of gory ultra violence. Actor Ray Stevenson is certainly an imposing presence, and he fills the heavy combat boots of the titular character admirably. Bad guy duty is handled by Irish actor Dominic "McNulty" West of "The Wire" fame. He really puts the ham in ham sandwich as Italian-mobster-turned-disfigured-boogeyman called Jigsaw. Julie Benz looks really pretty in it too because she's Julie Benz. There's barely any plot to it so I'm not going to bother explaining. Just lots and lots of killing.

I actually somewhat enjoyed Thomas Jane's more character driven and deliberate take on The Punisher as well, but this one is certainly a lot more breezy and fun. It's like the new Dredd movie without the smarts.

Saw Guardians of Galaxy Saturday in 3D since I missed the 2D showing. 3D wasn't bad in this one, although I do think 3D in general throws off the sense of scale in some shots. The supposedly giant Kreel warship looks like a little toy sometimes due to the 3D.

The movie was fantastic. Really fun and energetic with good performances and great effects.

Back