Movie Reviews 2.0

I just can't even begin to take that Pacific Rim seriously, but who knows maybe I'll see it... Star Trek isn't out here yet, about two more weeks to go, I'm planning on going to see that next.

Saw Django Unchained and I was entertained! A good one.

Yeah Evangelion, Voltron, Power Rangers. I couldn't even sit through the entire trailer. I love big monster movies but that just looks a bit too kiddie for me. I'm sure it will do well.

Warm Bodies - 7/10, good. Great concept.

I've been wary of this one since I saw the trailer. I'll try most Zombie movies I was sincerely hoping it didn't end up Twilight teen romance crap with zombies instead though. So it does have some intellect behind the writing?

I've been wary of this one since I saw the trailer. I'll try most Zombie movies I was sincerely hoping it didn't end up Twilight teen romance crap with zombies instead though. So it does have some intellect behind the writing?

It's a romantic comedy with emphasis on comedy. It's not high-brow cinema, but I enjoyed the narration of the protagonist and the quirky concept. Maybe not as original as something like Ink, but still an entertaining 90 minutes.

I get more of a power ranger feeling.

I think it's more similar to Evangelion with the imagery of the giant mechs transported by helicopters, or the pseudo-since of neural interfacing with the pilots and the breathable fluid in their suits to compensate for acceleration forces, and the psychological issues that the mind-melding stuff implies.

Power Rangers had absolutely no depth at all and the imagery wasn't too strong either. I think the only common things are the white armor on some of the pilots and the giant robot vs. monster stuff.

I wasnt really, Khan doesnt realise you can move up and down in space....

And in this one nobody even moves in 2D really during the fights in ST:ID. The original looks much better in comparison to this one with some actual tactics being used.

When the Galactica warped into an atmosphere to launch vipers - that was awesome...

Yip and nearly tore the ship apart in the process as it fell down. At least that jumped into the atmosphere and didn't do a re-entry like ST:ID did.

I saw that plot device a mile off - regenerating blood I wonder what that will be used for

They could have left the tribble out of it, had Kirk unconscious and barely alive and then have Bones make the leap about the blood based on the sample he drew. Would have been an easy script change.

Hate to tell you, but that's exactly what Abrams is going for with his new Trek movies. A less cerebral (not that Trek was terribly cerebral), more Star Wars-ish set of action flics. And this is probably why Disney tapped him for episode 7.

Yeah I know that this is his aim, so yay - he hit what he was targetting. Doesn't mean I like the target chosen.

I really should learn with the guy and just know he is going to do another mystery box type affair where he really hasn't thought through the logic of the story being told at all. Sadly this used to be what you could count on Ridley Scott to do, but then Prometheus happened which while I enjoyed it so badly needed better scripting.

Abrams did Super 8 too which had much better story and characters on top of the spectacle, but it made far less money compared to the first Trek. The box office dictated the direction for the sequel. We'll see if it was the right choice.

Super 8 was pretty decent, I thought, until the last 20 or so minutes. I found the end of the film was poorly-handled and almost completely lacking in tension considering it should have been a climactic finale. To be honest, the good parts of that film seemed to be mostly Spielbergian to me with the rest left to Abrams. (Lens-flare - my eyes! ;))

Ultimately, I'm sorry to say that I just don't think Abrams is very good at writing or making movies.

Abrams can come up with some decent concepts and plot points but just can't follow it through - his Magnus Opus, Lost, was aptly-named as I lost interest in it during the first series though I did catch a few episodes in one or two of the later series when I had nothing better to do.

I think it's more similar to Evangelion with the imagery of the giant mechs transported by helicopters, or the pseudo-since of neural interfacing with the pilots and the breathable fluid in their suits to compensate for acceleration forces, and the psychological issues that the mind-melding stuff implies.

Power Rangers had absolutely no depth at all and the imagery wasn't too strong either. I think the only common things are the white armor on some of the pilots and the giant robot vs. monster stuff.

Also the way they 'launch' the big mechs, and many other aspects, camera angles etc (it's one of my favourite things in the universe, i remember a lot about it) are just taken straight from Eva. Which is kinda good kinda bad.

I heard someone was making an Eva movie? What happened to that?

Story wise though Eva is not a story of triumph hope and humanity fuck yeah, it's a story of DEEP and the inescapable misery of the human condition.

And no depth at all seems to fit Pacific rim as well :)

In related news, i just obtained the third part of the Evangelion remake (Evangelion 3.33) - looking forward to tonight!!
The first two were great, thought the story is very much different in parts. Looks like the third goes even further.

Back