Movie Reviews 2.0

Just got reminded: also get the damn brewery out of the Enterprise already!

I'm not sure if the vast, cavernous spaces of the Enterprise engineering section really make too much sense. You'd tend to think that a complex fusion reactor hundreds of years in the future wouldn't look like a 20th century chemical factory.

All-in-all, it wasn't too bad. I think it was a little better than Abrams' first Trek though I don't think that's saying too much! The humour wasn't bad but unfortunately, it was much too easy to predict what was going to happen in this film. It was possible to guess most of the plot points long before they occurred.

One final comment. My eyes, my eyes! Too many lens-flares absolutely every-fricking-where including all over the place on the bridge for no reason whatsoever.

I do fear for the new Star Wars movies under Abrams' direction though he probably couldn't do a worse job than the prequels under Lucas.

I was rolling my eyes somewhat with the Kirk/Spock reactor sacrifice juxtaposition. Talk about laying it on a bit thick! Also, the "I'm injecting a dead tribble with Khan's blood" bit was cringeworthy foreshadowing. I did enjoy Cumberbatch's attempt to chew as much of the scenery as possible in his performance. He's a seriously talented actor so I can only imagine that Abrams wanted him to overact to such a level.

New Star Trek movie is meh. Only character I like is McCoy. All others are a bit annoying. Maybe Spok as well, not sure. Khan is a disaster...the mouth of this actor when talking makes me crazy.

The story and character development in this film is so crazy: inconsistent, no logic applied, basically a bunch of action scenes tossed together.

To much 'forced' references to the old Star Trek universe...should be more subtle and natural.

Also, some scenes where so dumb that it hurts...people should learn what gravity is and how it reacts, that it always points to the same direction even if you turn your spaceship around.

I liked the tec of the movie. Also, lens flare was more 'subtle' in use, but still a lot.

Nice senseless action popcorn movie, but surely no Star Trek and with respect to The Wrath of Khan it bothers blasphemy.

I liked new Trek movie and was quite impressed by the quality of 3D effects in cinema (this might be due to new projector used at the place where I go, but more likely JJ team simply made great job with it).
I mean, they definitely made ST more appealing to general audience as both my son and wife enjoyed Into The Darkness. I personally am more TNG fan, so JJ ST's are a bit too predictable and flashy, with too little tactics in space combat and completely not working shields ...

Still very good movie worth watching in cinema!

I'm not sure if the vast, cavernous spaces of the Enterprise engineering section really make too much sense. You'd tend to think that a complex fusion reactor hundreds of years in the future wouldn't look like a 20th century chemical factory.

Not chemicals, beer.
I'm not kidding.

Caught Into Darkness yesterday - 7.5/10 I wasn't a big fan of Abrams' first crack at Trek, but this one was fun and felt respectful in its derivation to the story it was borrowing. And Alice Eve. . .yummy. Oh, and Ms. Saldana too.

Not chemicals, beer.
I'm not kidding.

At least he got away from the brewery for the Warp Core itself. The outside had obvious waveguides and looks like part of the fusion research projects. I saw lawrence livermore labs credited too.

As for the film it is better than the last one. However Kirk still displays almost no brains or ability other than dumb luck. The best bit of character development in the whole film was him trying to spare the crew. The whole film was lacking in tactics and signs of intelligence in the characters. Wrath of Khan was clever because both Khan and Kirk were thinking about their next moves and clearly planning ahead. We had one instance of that in the whole film with Harrison. Also the shields seemed to be completely tissue paper..

Things he got wrong included still way too much lens flare - for fecks sake he had street lights doing it. The Enterprise now apparently can enter an atmosphere and the sea (which she was never designed for) without ill-effect. (Aside from Scotty kvetching.) The Klingon Neutral zone is within easy visual range of Qo'nos and Praxis - which makes no sense astronomically speaking. Also apparently Praxis has blown early in this universe. Geology isn't making much sense either as having a cliff with deep enough water directly off it to hide a twenty story starship in. Speaking of design goofs - who puts a massive light well with crossing bridges in the middle of a starship? I get they don't feel cramped for space but having such a massive air volume that servers no purpose other than looking cool and giving you a massive volume that damage can breach and suck air out of. Sensible for a cruise ship, maybe. But an exploration vessel that might have to take combat? Not so much.

That also is the thing that makes little sense. So much waste space within the ship. It takes energy to lug the ship around so all these big airy rooms that have dead space in them make little sense. Hell even the 'cramped' Dreadnaught had huge rooms in to let them slip n'slide around in. Scale of the universe was way off with how fast warp moves you around too.

Add on spectacularly unsubtle foreshadowing with both the kid and the tribble, characters who don't seem to show much intelligence (Kirk gets two moments at Starfleet headquarters with the query about the point of the London explosion and how he downs the attack hopper, Spock gets one.)

There was the potential for a classic in here. If they had expanded the maneuvering between Kirk and Harrison and also expanded the base theme of what StarFleet's purpose is (like, y'know, some diplomacy actually working) this could have been really good. Instead it is a pop-corn action film which is fun but lacking...

Wrath of Khan was clever
I wasnt really, Khan doesnt realise you can move up and down in space....

The Enterprise now apparently can enter an atmosphere
When the Galactica warped into an atmosphere to launch vipers - that was awesome...

Add on spectacularly unsubtle foreshadowing with both the kid and the tribble
I saw that plot device a mile off - regenerating blood I wonder what that will be used for

Instead it is a pop-corn action film which is fun but lacking...

Hate to tell you, but that's exactly what Abrams is going for with his new Trek movies. A less cerebral (not that Trek was terribly cerebral), more Star Wars-ish set of action flics. And this is probably why Disney tapped him for episode 7.

The little kid in me who used to watch Godzilla movies on Saturday matinees watches that trailer and yells, "TAKE MY MONEY NOW!!!!!"

Last edited by a moderator:
Back