Movie Reviews 2.0

The Hobbit as a literal work feels much different to the Rings trilogy. It's not nearly as heavy and wordy for starters, in fact rather easily absorbed. I read The Hobbit for the first time in my mid-teens, in English, and it was a really good read IMO. I'd previously read the Ring trilogy in Swedish, and noted the difference myself despite the change in language. That it in movie form should have another kind of flavor is just a positive thing I'd say and might be a sign that the people behind it got it right.

I'll have to see it for myself to know for sure though, I never trust movie reviews. They're pure shite just too often. Like that overrated, well-known whatsisname who dissed The Usual Suspects for example. What an idiot.

Yeah exactly!

The same feelings (or similiar) can be felt between the movies as you would in the books is what I was meant to say :cry:

Regarding reviews.. I tend to think the same. The only thing I tend to check is what the majority of the people thought in terms of rating. For instance, a 9/10 from rotten tomatoes normally results in really great movies where as a 5 would be "not too bad/but could be better/will not be watching it ever again" for me of course.

But if your a fan or even remotely interested in this genre, I really recommend it. Wanted to try out the HFR version but ended up watching at the IMAX 3D due to my partner :LOL: The only downside with the standard 24fps 3D was that the motion wasn't fluid enough during action packed scenes and tended to blur(?) which was abit irritating.

Saw the hobbit early early morning. I didn't know what to expect but found it pretty good overall and in awe at parts of the film due to how the fluff was visually presented on the screen! I can see non-Tolkien fans might disengage from the plot i.e. the movie from time to time due to some pacing issues.. But one thing for sure is that it felt like a completely different movie compared to LOTR. Im thinking the hobbit trilogy will have its own identity and not fall victim to being the typical "prequel" movie which some movies suffer from. I think Sir Peter balanced it nicely so that it inter-relates to the events that lead up to LOTR but don't deviate from the actual story too much.

Id give it a 7 or 7.5 out of 10. Eagerly anticipating the next movie.. :cool:

I saw the hobbit four beers ago.
As you noted, the movie has a different feel, and I believe that reflects the difference in the books as well.

Now to the 24 vs 48 fps part.
I saw the movie in High Frame Rate, hereafter HFR, and 3D, it would be kind of silly for me to bring up the discussion otherwise.
HFR does give a non cinematic look, and yes, to some degree it has a TV production feel to it.
I still don't think that it, in the long run, is a bad thing, more of a thing that you need to get used to.
The amount of motion one can get away and still retain sharpness without juddering with in the scenes surprised me, and it felt like they took advantage of that. The amount of motion in some scenes was distracting, and I think that it partly is because I was seated close to the screen.
I was less and less distracted by HFR as the movie went along, but I'm the same way with 3D, I notice it when the movie starts but after a while I forget about it.
Another thing I noticed was that it sometimes felt like it was playing too fast.

All in all I still think that HFR is here to stay, all it needs is some getting used to, and once you've done that you don't want to look a 24 fps movies.

Oh, and yeah, I enjoyed the movie, it was a bit too silly in some places, but I'd give it a 7/10.

All in all I still think that HFR is here to stay, all it needs is some getting used to, and once you've done that you don't want to look a 24 fps movies.
I'm sure this is the case, but it amuses me a bit that because for so long we've gotten used to this low framerate in the box office, and a slightly higher framerate in TV, I know that I still have a somewhat visceral reaction against the higher TV-only framerate. It doesn't make any sense whatsoever, but I still think it's a bit funny.

After Earth... Is that Will Smith's own kid? Damn he must have grown up fast in that case, he was like...tiny, in the new Karate Kid movie. That was like two years or what ago though, wasn't it? ...Or something. Might be a cool movie, might be a bit pretentious, squeezing a father-son drama into a survival-against-all-odds type flick, with a sci-fi angle to it. Dunno.

Pacific Rim looks kickass, but what's with the glados voice? It's very distracting and breaks my suspension of disbelief. I hope that's just a temp track, put in there to create positive buzz on the internets... :LOL:

Pacific Rim looks absolutely shitty. Can't believe this is coming from Guillermo del Toro, the same person who gave us marvels as Pan's Labyrinth and Hellboy.

Pacific Rim looks absolutely shitty. Can't believe this is coming from Guillermo del Toro, the same person who gave us marvels as Pan's Labyrinth and Hellboy.

Have you seen The Devil's Backbone? Apparently, Pan's Labyrinth is a "spiritual successor" to that. If you haven't and you enjoyed Pan's, definitely check it out.

I saw the hobbit four beers ago.
As you noted, the movie has a different feel, and I believe that reflects the difference in the books as well.

Now to the 24 vs 48 fps part.
I saw the movie in High Frame Rate, hereafter HFR, and 3D, it would be kind of silly for me to bring up the discussion otherwise.
HFR does give a non cinematic look, and yes, to some degree it has a TV production feel to it.
I still don't think that it, in the long run, is a bad thing, more of a thing that you need to get used to.
The amount of motion one can get away and still retain sharpness without juddering with in the scenes surprised me, and it felt like they took advantage of that. The amount of motion in some scenes was distracting, and I think that it partly is because I was seated close to the screen.
I was less and less distracted by HFR as the movie went along, but I'm the same way with 3D, I notice it when the movie starts but after a while I forget about it.
Another thing I noticed was that it sometimes felt like it was playing too fast.

Oh, and yeah, I enjoyed the movie, it was a bit too silly in some places, but I'd give it a 7/10.

I just came out of the cinema about 10 minutes ago, and I agree pretty much about the HFR. First of all, I didn't expect our local cinema to feature it at all - I was sceptical of their 3D presentation alone. But the quick panning shots in all directions rubbed my face in it immediately. It is shocking how smooth that makes it - it feels almost exactly like going from a 30fps game to a 60fps game. So they did pans initially at a far higher speed than any other cinema does, simply because it could, and that is jarring after 100 years of cinematographists slowing down panning scenes on purpose to prevent you from getting a headache.

And like you say, what it does initially is enhance the uncanny valley a little - in combination with the 3D especially, suddenly the size of the characters make you feel like the dwarves are the giants and you, the viewer, are a midget (a toddler at that), and suddenly also screen resolution starts to become the bottleneck again, as with all the other big bottlenecks gone, you start seeing again that it isn't as sharp as real life. But the 3 hours of the movie (and we didn't get a break either) give you plenty of time to get used to that.

As for the movie itself, I enjoyed it. As I fully expected, the movie pacing did the original book much more justice than the Lord of the Rings movies did (however much I enjoyed them), and I also wish that I could have seen them in the other order, starting with these three movies, and then watching the Lord of the Rings movies afterwards. Incredibly, many scenes still felt as if they were going too fast. Just about the only scene that felt more or less at the pacing that I remember from the book, was the very beginning (and even there, if I remember correctly, the book gives more backstory).

In fact I was surprised how far the movie came in those three hours. The final scene was the scene I remember most prominently from the book. My father read the book to me each night when I would go to sleep, from when I was about six I think, and I've had some really bad nightmares about the Warrgs ... (they did a good job at making them pretty scary in the movie too).

All in all I'd rate it pretty highly. The only distraction was that I kept being reminded of Merrin/Pippin for the first hour or so, before the main character in fact settled on me as Bilbo, and some of the dwarves were almost a bit too recogniseable from their real life counterparts for comfort (but they did a pretty good job anyway).

I'd give it a solid 8.5/10, and I can see myself enjoying this more than the second and third LotR movies, as I think these can stay closer in tone to the first LotR movie, which I still like the most by far.

Really hope HFR is here to stay.

Apparently, the better solution to the new HFR craze would be mixing high and low rates for the different scenes. Wide panoramic gliding vistas are perfect for HFR, for instance, as well as some fast peaced action sequences. Character dialog and close-up shots are better off with 24FPS... in fact, any face-dominant shot should be kept with low frame-rate. The situation is similar to the stereoscopic shooting, where not every scene is suitable for deep eye-popping 3D. It's all about the right balance.

I'm not sure I follow. I mean of course it doesn't matter if you shoot HFR is there isn't much going on in the scene, but I don't see how switching between multiple framerates during production makes much sense (unless you have a scene that you want to present in ultra-slow-mo or something, in which case even 48fps might not be enough).

There's no reason for a director not to shoot an entire production at full 120Hz and then scale down and up the rate in post-production, not only for different scenes, but even down at individual sequence level. At such rate there's also a "free" headroom for slow-motion takes. It's a new learning curve for Hollywood that will take some time and tryouts, but it's doable.

I don't see why you think dialog scenes would be better suited to 24FPS.

This whole negative attitude against higher framerate cinema stems from the idiotic view that smooth motion video somehow isn't "cinematic", but rather low-budget, TV-like. People thought much the same about color in cinemas as well at one point, and before that, audio soundtracks. Where did that attitude get these people? Nowhere, they're all obsolete now, and everybody thinks they were silly for thinking so. :p

This whole negative attitude against higher framerate cinema stems from the idiotic view that smooth motion video somehow isn't "cinematic", but rather low-budget, TV-like.
Ive gotta agree.
I cant believe ppl arent thinking about this logically.
it looks too realistic? WTF sure actors etc hate higher res cause you can see all their skin blemishes etc, but higher framerates!

Am I understanding right that the 48fps camera's currently have more problems picking up colors, presumably because they have half the time to pick up the light?

Back