Movie Reviews 2.0

Finally saw Prometheus.

Cannot remember a film with this amount of story holes and unlogic acting. Dissapointing, shows again that all film makers are dumb.

On the plus side: like the universe, like the many references to Alien, like the style, first movie with 3d having a (tiny) positive impact, liked the effects, CGI was very good imo.

Overall probably still a must see! I hope that some of the most jarring plot holes are solved in the sequel (unfortunately, lot's of them cannot be solved in a sequel, we need a 3+h directors cut).

Last edited by a moderator:
Also watched Pixars Meridia during my holidays...not much to say, but god!!! those red curly hairs is CGI at its best in my opinion absolutely astounding!

Also watched DKR. Seems that I am the only one dissapointed. The only thing I liked: reference and some story conclusion to the prequels. But then, this was such a different movie...to be honest: got bored during the first half of movie, then got bored during second half as well. You watch nearly 3h and wonder after the film what happened, thry needed 3h to tell this trivial story, what took them so long?

Where I lost my patience: the end of Bane...

Last edited by a moderator:
Total Recall - the protagonist doesn't get to Mars in the original short story either, as far as I know...

Philip K. Dick's work is very unique in that it's full of very original setups and story ideas, so it's no wonder that he's probably the SF author with the most adaptations to film. Blade Runner, Total Recall, Minority Report, A Scanner Darkly, Impostor, Paycheck... just to name a few.
On the other hand he's not good with characters and he usually messes up the plot at some point, it's usually just about paranoia and chase and all the crazy schemes turning out to be true. So it's no wonder that every Hollywood adaptation is a serious rewrite as well, because - IMHO - none of his originals would work as a movie at all.
The problem is that most scriptwriters/producers mess it up at some point and the results are a lot worse :(

Also watched DKR. Seems that I am the only one dissapointed. The only thing I liked: reference and some story conclusion to the prequels. But then, this was such a different movie...to be honest: got bored during the first half of movie, then got bored during second half as well. You watch nearly 3h and wonder after the film what happened, thry needed 3h to tell this trivial story, what took them so long?

Where I lost my patience: the end of Bane...

You are not on your own.

I find it the weakest of the 3 movies.

Plotholes galore and what the fvck, was that the most pathetic ending ever in a Nolan movie?! Character development were just awful but the actors were all good considering the script. Gulp, and the "Dark Knight Rises" part really sucked from a character development point of view. I totally agree with the way Bane goes down ...

It should have been much darker as the prequels and I was really sitting in the theater and hoping for the turn-around, the point where I would feel, the plot goes dark and sinister. Never materialized :(

My favorite is by far The Dark Knight, which is dark and sinister and wonderfully accompanied by the score (eg. background music / distortion). Guess it is much more psychological.

Finally saw Prometheus.

Cannot remember a film with this amount of story holes and unlogic acting. Dissapointing, shows again that all film makers are dumb.

Screenplay in part by Damon Lindelof, who is well versed in writing shallow, trite and incoherent messes (Lost).

Too bad Dan O'Bannon died in 2009.

Cheers

london-boy said:
So has anyone heard of a film called The Dark Knight Rises?? Is it good?

Well if you liked the prequels, you probably should be prepared for a dissapointment. The trick is: don't expect to much...

Just got back from watching TDKR. I'll be generous and give it 6/10.

Unfortunately, it was just too jam-packed with typical nonsensical plot-points, many already mentioned in this thread.
Plus yet another megalomaniacal omniscient bad guy an inexplicable supply of suicidal flunkies, who likes blowing stuff up whilst waging psychological warfare on the inhabitants of Gotham. What is it about Gotham that allows bad guys to roam around setting vast explosive charges in major infrastructure without anybody noticing?

A bit too long, too, as 30 minutes could easily have been trimmed off the film without affecting the storyline. Some decent action sequences in there, however and Anne Hathaway looked nice in her rubber catsuit so I can just about forgive the sheer pretentiousness of much of the dialogue, which was not helped by the over-orchestration. I did find myself smirking at way too many of the supposedly serious scenes.

One final point:
why do experimental and inevitably dangerous fusion reactors always get built in the middle of a major city in comic-book land? Yeah, I know about the Chicago pile so don't use that as an excuse!
:smile:

One final point:
why do experimental and inevitably dangerous fusion reactors always get built in the middle of a major city in comic-book land? Yeah, I know about the Chicago pile so don't use that as an excuse!
:smile:

Because nothing remotely similar could ever be done in secret by a corporation in the heart of a populated city. Never I tell you! http://gizmodo.com/5909961/kodak-had-a-secret-weapons+grade-nuclear-reactor-hidden-in-a-basement

So I must've been the only one who liked TDKR? Id give it a 8.5/10 or maybe even a 9.

The best thing I liked about this movie and basically the trilogy was the rise and fall of Bruce Wayne's character + the constant emphasis and perspective (Nolan's commentary) of the socio/political issues that we deal with in todays times by using characters/character interactions that symbolised those issues/themes. To go indepth as to what I mean, refer to the link because this perfectly summarises my thoughts on Nolan's take on the batman. Quite an interesting read.

Link

I also recommend to watch the first two movies before you watch this one. The other two can be watched as a standalone movie, but the 3rd one requires prewatching the first two prequels.

Oh and.. Hans Zimmers always producing top notch work :cool:

Just saw TinTin and John Carter in 3D to test my new little 27" 3D tv and they were both stunning. Highly recommended if gou have a 3D capable display. John Carter was a much more entertaining movie than I expected too, with lots of surprises.

Back