Movie Reviews 2.0

Some food for thought after watching promethus

After doing some reading, it looks like what happened to the derelict ship that force landed on LV-426 dont have much relevance to the one in LV-223.

However what it does tells us is that the "Engineers" have been working on bio weapons. The first of its kind, or maybe the "previous" kind like the ones found in the alien movie i.e. egg/need human/biological host/spawn xenomorph. In promethus, it looks like the eggs are replaced with those Urn looking objects that storage the black goo.

Now instead of requiring a biological host or anything like that, the black goo is all it is needed. Like a bacteria, or some sort of disease that infects the living environment where you either die or mutate several times til eventually reaching the xenomorph state (or something similiar). So applying this to planets would be far easier to exterminate any sort of lifeforms compared to their previous bio weapon.

Its interesting to note that alien carving when they entered that room, you can see on the bottom right hand corner of a facehugger implanting its load to something that looked like a humanoid, where as on the left hand corner you see the humanoid struggling against the facehugger. That carving at the back, if zoomed out looks like an alien egg.

Anyway, why they created it, and what were they intending to do with it is another question..

And for the ship that landed in LV-426, it looks like it crash landed there along time ago since you can observe how the spacejockey's remains (suit) and the chair fossilised together.

Although the movie itself was fascinating, I think it left FAR too much space for imagination.. Most definitely there will be a sequel to this.

However what it does tells us is that the "Engineers" have been working on bio weapons.

It's only what the human characters believe...
but they haven't seen the opening shot where the same substance is used to create new life.
I'd say instead that the black stuff on its own is just a tool and not a weapon. It can be used in the wrong way, just as a hammer could crush skulls; but a huge storage room of hammers still doesn't mean that the owner is preparing for war.

So applying this to planets would be far easier to exterminate any sort of lifeforms compared to their previous bio weapon.

The entire 'aliens as bioweapons' concept is far too convoluted IMHO. Infecting and impregnating and mutating... it's all an uncontrollable mess, takes a lot of time, is never guaranteed to succeed, and so on.
We already have easier methods for stuff like destroying life but keeping the infrastructure intact; a space faring race should have even more advanced technology and weaponry.

It's far more likely to have a parallel like this, especially in light of the murals in the room:
- when used for creation, the black liquid shapes the new life in the "image" of the engineers; which is why we humans look like them
- when used for destruction, parasitic life is created instead, in the "image" of the alien; which is why all the various creatures share a few common attributes and the need for hosts to reproduce

Iron Sky : Nazis on the moon
not as funny as i thought it would be, infact not funny at all - just a bit crap

The Dictator
not as funny as i thought it would be

Regarding Prometheus, I think I'm going with the "Space Jesus" hypothesis for now. The alien bioweapon thing just seems too crude for an advanced space-faring species.

Prometheus plot discussion:

I'm wondering if the "engineers" are actually worshipping the aliens. They've created architecture and body armor suits resembling what the aliens create (as seen in "Aliens", for example, when the marines go in under the heat exchangers to retrieve the lost colonists) and what they look like, and there's murals and wall sculptures with alien motifs. Looks pretty obsessive/religious, IMO...

Prometheus is not exactly a new classic but I was mostly entertained.

The heaviest theme was obviously creation/evolution/engineering of life, on many levels. We had the old Wayland who wanted to be immortal. We had David "created because we can". Humans were engineered by much more advanced beings probably as a side project for kicks. I think the aliens are presented as an advanced version of the Alien-universe humans (probably the writers' opinion of where the real world is going). Although I thought they brought the faith/creationism topic up too many times and it felt artificial to me.

I liked the mysterious agenda of the Weyland Corp and Weyland vs his evil daughter. I think there was something missing though for the Weyland Corp investment of the mission. They spent a trillion $ to pull this off but there wasn't a lot of talk about what they hoped to gain beyond the semi-secret Charles Weyland immortality desire. I imagine there was a desire to get technology to stomp out the competition.

I liked David the android. I liked how he played the idiot humans and had his own agenda. Humans create an exceptionally intelligent being and treat it like shit and surprise! Superior capability brings superior ambition? "I wear a space suit because it makes you people comfortable". :)

I liked the futuristic aesthetic. The visuals were superb. Everything fit well and felt very professional / measured (ie not over the top). I couldn't spot the classical CGI problems at all.

The scientists were portrayed as complete idiots for the most part. I hate it when Hollywood does this. It was actually frustrating to watch a lot of the movie because of this, because of how the scientists recklessly approached such a complex and yet momentous situation.

There was no horror here though. Just some standard gore that was a bit fun. The end scene of the proto-Alien being born was a bit too explanatory though I thought.

Can someone who doesnt recall or care about Alien lore enjoy this on its own? Planning to go tomorrow.
I am not steeped in Alien lore (watched bits and pieces of the first two over the years, watched all of 3 many years back without knowing the full story behind the first two and also watched 4 an thought it was an abomination) and I went to see this largely due to the Ridley Scott interview on Kermode and Mayo (even though Kermode reviewed it as "a mixed bag"). On the whole I have to say I rather enjoyed it, and it has actually been one of the few movies that has actually stuck with me after it ended and I've wanted to find out more about it. Thats not to say the movie isn't without it problems - such as being quite predictable in places and some extraneous elements...
such as after apparently killing off Charlie the him turning out not to be quite dead and the crew inviting him into the ship in an exercise in nothing more than a mechanism to off a few more of them...

Wow. Okay... What a waste of an opportunity then! I thought this would be a genuine prequel, explaining how it all started. :(

I'd suggest downloading the interview with Ridley in the June 1 podcast here, the interview is about 35 mins in (but this is the best film review show there is, so it is worthwhile listening to it all! :p ). He points out that, in effect this would be the pre-pre-prequel to get the the Alien timeline.

I liked how they completely ignored the awful AVP movies. I was curious if they would use Lance Henriksen as Charles Weyland as in those movies but obviously they did not.

More Prometheus

I took the black stuff to be like the first basic cellular stages of the bio-weapon lifeform, which adapts its characteristics and requirement based on its host. A bit like the beginnings of life being algae but in a massively accelerated form specifically designed to produce certain results after a few generations (the bio-weapon ala alien) but taking characteristics of its host to customize its potential.

The boyfriend was infected then copulated with her who produced the first generation octopus face-hugger. Whether or not the ability to produce eggs is built-in to its dna or was taken from the human host, it then layed the egg in the engineer and (in my mind) produced the first generation queen alien you see at the end.

Coupled with the mural imagery of the alien in the urn room indicating previously end-generation likeness you have a biological structural target bio-weapon the engineers created.

What's obviously left open in the end and what she asks several times before taking the ship, is why they were created and why they wanted to kill/infect their creation (humans on earth).

Much of that a stretch?

Also I really enjoyed the movie, glad it wasn't a Bay-like action fest throughout. It was also my first cinematic 3D experience, it really changes the way a movie is presented! Amazing!

Saw Prometheus last night. I liked it. Enjoyable movie. Great visuals. A couple parts that were kind of dumb, but overall solid. I'm trying not to think to hard about the "questions" the movie leaves you with, because I think they're mostly unanswerable and people are coming up with really terrible or crazy explanations.

I'm not buying the "bio-weapon" story. The first scene of the movie is clearly showing them using the "primordial" goo to create new life on a young planet by mutating, altering or recombining DNA from a living "Engineer." The human DNA is a match to the "Engineers," which I took to mean we were created with that goo.

Prometheus. 7.5/10. I found the lack of details to be over the top. You can do suspense and mystery while still informing the viewer. Cheesy dialouge at times also. The action and visuals were amazing though.

I think the 30-year pause on Scott's touch for Sci-Fi has taken its toll. I really hope this "infection" doesn't ruin (too much) the upcoming Blade Runner remake.

I really hope this "infection" doesn't ruin (too much) the upcoming Blade Runner remake.
He's re-making Blade Runner too? Whoah. Didn't know that was on the cards. Not that that movie really needs re-making though. Other than some rather scientifically dodgy dialogue from Dr. Tyrell on the matter of replicator lifespan, stemming from the scriptwriter not having the faintest clue about biology and related things, there isn't much to complain about. Even the special effects look remarkably good despite their age due to the misty-foggy nature of the movie, and could look even better if touched up using modern compositing technology - assuming all the original source film has been preserved of course but I'm not sure that's strictly neccessary. Sometimes the "life" and "texture" of the visuals is lost when such things are re-done in the modern era. It starts looking uncanny valley-like instead, not matching the rest of the movie. Oh well... *shrug*

It's remake-mania.

The wonks who run Hollywood are too scared to risk producing something particularly new and instead do the old tried and tested sequel after sequel and remake after remake.

I mean, another Spiderman reboot? It's only 5 minutes since the Sam Raimi films which weren't bad (well, apart from the third one).

What they actually need to do is make sure that they have decent screenplays and storylines for new movies. Not too bloody difficult to work out, is it?

Back