Movie Reviews 2.0

The basically straight chick with the Dragon Tattoo

Yeah, Hollywood's version of the Swedish hit.

I went to see it last night. It was shown using Sony's "4K" technology and that was a factor in my choosing it. It was the only film shown in 4K by my local theater. They even used two of their theaters to show 4K presentations.

4K is impressive though TGWTDT doesn't really serve as an ideal demo for what 4K can offer. TGWTDT has lots and lots of dark scenes.

I would have went to the new Mission Impossible flick or even the Sherlock Holmes flick if they were in 4K or even film. But no, just regular digital projection.

Very good cast, good direction and cinematography. Good script in so far as dialogue.

They really softened and glamorized Lizbeth. Even had a fetching wardrobe.

And as my title says, they altered her sexuality.

My potential movie list for 2012:

Underworld (I know they're cheesy but I really like them!)
The Grey (Liam Neesom being a badass)
Batman
Hobbit
Avengers (depending on reviews)
Prometheus
Men in Black 3
Star Trek 2

I'll probably leave room open for 3-4 other random ones throughout the year but that's about all I can think of.

My daughter is a big fan of the Tattoo books and, though she liked the first Lizbeth, she said the Hollywood portrayal (very slight/tiny physically, etc.) is truer to the book with the exception of the de-emphasis on her bisexuality. She thought each movie got a little bit right that the other didn't and wouldn't pick one over the other. Neither comes close to the book...anyway, enough of an endorsement for me to want to see it.

Just took the family over to the USAF museum's Imax theater to watch Hubble. My mind is incapable of processing the sheer size of the known universe.

I know it's not a new movie, but I was given "Book of Eli" on bluray as a christmas present by me best mate, and we watched it on his projector screen due to me having neither a TV right now, nor a working bluray player for that matter.

(Spoiler alert, for all paragraphs below!)

Was a pretty cool movie, on the whole, except for...well...the whole religious angle, really. While I usually like movies based on religious/christian mythology (Christopher Walken as the angel Gabriel in that 1990s movie whatsitsname, for example), this particular one felt pretty reactionary, like it was made to be christian propaganda from the outset. If society had actually been destroyed, I seriously doubt bibles would be the first thing people would want to re-print for example.

The hero had this whole "god's warrior" about him, scripted invincibility against superior forces in number and firepower and all of that. A bit boring, felt a little like a Steven Seagal movie. :LOL: Still, it was very well done.

I also like that the movie strongly implies the hero's actually blind, with his superior sense of hearing and smell, the braille bible, and a shot of his eyes in one particular scene. That's pretty cool I have to say. From that perspective, divine guidance works as a concept.

Was a pretty cool movie, on the whole, except for...well...the whole religious angle, really. While I usually like movies based on religious/christian mythology (Christopher Walken as the angel Gabriel in that 1990s movie whatsitsname, for example), this particular one felt pretty reactionary, like it was made to be christian propaganda from the outset. If society had actually been destroyed, I seriously doubt bibles would be the first thing people would want to re-print for example.

It seemed more a cautionary tale about religion to me.

the bibles were destroyed because people blamed religion, Gary Oldman's character wanted the bible to use it as a means of control, not because he wanted to make copies. And I never really got the impression that Denzel was blind, but I don't know how the story works if the book isn't braille, I guess it could have been in another language or something.

the bibles were destroyed because people blamed religion, Gary Oldman's character wanted the bible to use it as a means of control, not because he wanted to make copies. And I never really got the impression that Denzel was blind, but I don't know how the story works if the book isn't braille, I guess it could have been in another language or something.

Yeah I think you totally missed the point Grall. Wolf is right. And that movie is pretty great except a few parts of it.

you dont have to be blind to read graille but I thought he was and it was a fun twist. And the people that wanted the book wanted it b/c it is important in a cultural context. They had all sorts of other stuff there if you didn't pay attention. It wasn't a bunch of christian monks to save the world. It was just important books. If someone has the movie tell us what other books were there. I tried to find them but could not.

Also not that the Torah and Koran were already on the shelf (books 1, 2 and then he brings (2 and 3) of Mediterranean/Middle-eastern mythology).

Personally I found it quite depressing.

The world was destroyed because of religion, which is strongly implied by the fact that all the religious texts had been hunted down and destroyed, and what does blind god boy do? 'Save' a copy of the bible so the whole process can start over again.

It reminds me of Depeche Mode's 'Blasphemous Rumours' a chunk of lyrics going -

"I don't want to start any blasphemous rumours,
but I think God has a sick sense of humour,
and when I die,
I expect to find him laughing."

Other than that the action is nicely done, it is a stylish movie but the plot had various holes in it that don't make a lot of sense once you think about it.

A buddy of mine might give me free tickets to see "The Grey" tomorrow, which would be nice because I'm really interested in it. I'll report back with a review.

Finally got around to watching Tron Legacy the other night.

I won't disagree with the widely-held view that it is a complete load of crap.

I sometimes wonder if the folks in Hollywood are vying with each other and trying to come up with the least exciting and intelligent plot and screenplay possible.

I really don't think a lot of movies are made in Hollywood with any real serious attention to good plots or movies that make much sense. That doesn't sell movies to the masses, cool action scenes with CGI and explosions does. Look at the uptake of 3D in the cinema. The actual content of the movie matters little, as long as the 3D effects make the viewer go wow! Hence Phantom Menace is coming back to the cinemas in 3D.... long considered an intelligent movie.

Finally got around to watching Tron Legacy the other night.

I won't disagree with the widely-held view that it is a complete load of crap.

I sometimes wonder if the folks in Hollywood are vying with each other and trying to come up with the least exciting and intelligent plot and screenplay possible.

I liked it...with that said I think a lot of people like to jump on the whining bandwagon just because it's trendy. I mean what the hell did you expect TL to be?:???:

Kinda of reminds me of all the whiners and complainers about RE5 controls..which I've personally never had a problem with..:LOL:

I liked it...with that said I think a lot of people like to jump on the whining bandwagon just because it's trendy. I mean what the hell did you expect TL to be?:???:

"Whining bandwagon"? :rolleyes:

In fact let me double that. :rolleyes:

If you don't care about a lack of half-intelligent plotting or dialogue in a film, then good for you. However, please don't try and criticise me for being disappointed that, with all the possibilities that modern technology allows directors/producers, they can't come up with something better than the dross which is so often released.

If smaller-scale independent films can come up with good screenplays and plotting, then why can't the big Hollywood productions do the same?

If smaller-scale independent films can come up with good screenplays and plotting, then why can't the big Hollywood productions do the same?

I guess with a smaller budget, you have to be creative...
Hollywood doesn't have to, they have everything at their disposal so that hey don't have to take risks.
I think that good screenplays, equals risk, while explosions equals easy money... :p

I really don't think a lot of movies are made in Hollywood with any real serious attention to good plots or movies that make much sense.
On that note, I watched "Cowboys and Aliens" on a recent long flight, and was surprised that it wasn't too bad.

As a total contrast, I also watched "Foster" and (if you have young kids (or even if you don't)) I recommend the John Lasseter directed "Winnie the Pooh",

Back