monitor screens

Davros

Legend
A long time ago (in a galaxy far away)

I used to work on a green screen dumb terminal, it came with a screen cover made of black mesh which really improved contrast. Are these things still for sale do they work with modern lcd's
tnx..

Even better than a mesh would be one of those "anti-glare" glass screens that fitted over monitors, with an anti-reflective coating. Eventually this kind of anti-glare became standard on decent CRTs. That mesh was just a cheap first attempt at doing the same thing, as I understand it.

My mind boggles at the fad for "glossy" LCD screens. It's like we've gone back to, erm, 1970-something in terms of ergonomics.

Jawed

Ive had the glass anti glare screen and it wasnt as good as the old mesh thing I had, maybe its because I wasnt comparing like for like green screen crt vs colour crt.

The mesh will prolly alias with the pixels of your LCD. If you happen to have some tights lying around you could stretch one across your LCD to see what happens :LOL: :LOL:

Jawed

My mind boggles at the fad for "glossy" LCD screens. It's like we've gone back to, erm, 1970-something in terms of ergonomics.

Jawed

if they have decent anti reflect they can be better than matt screens providing you don't have bright lights behind you.

if they have decent anti reflect they can be better than matt screens providing you don't have bright lights behind you.
This might seem like a stupid question, but do any glossy LCD screens have any kind of anti-reflective coating? I've not seen one so far - but it's not something I've been shopping for.

My CRT has a good anti-reflective coating, so that's what I'm expecting to experience if an LCD is similarly equipped.

Jawed

This might seem like a stupid question, but do any glossy LCD screens have any kind of anti-reflective coating? I've not seen one so far - but it's not something I've been shopping for.

My CRT has a good anti-reflective coating, so that's what I'm expecting to experience if an LCD is similarly equipped.

Jawed

I must admit I've not seen one either!

Weird as, afaik, the coating isn't exactly expensive.

I'm still on a crt on my home pc, still waiting for someone to bring out some 100/120Hz LCDs

Well, aren't LCD's usually equipped with a glass screen to increase color "vibrancy" and thus anti-glare coating would be counterproductive.

Regards,
SB

Anti-glare coatings got popular because CRTs are made of glass, and so you get reflections and glare from other lightsources in the room. The coatings reduced this. As most LCD screens are plastic and matt, they effectively have their own anti-glare coatings built in and don't need them. With LCDs the issue is more to do with the relatively low contrast lighting in an LCD being overpowered by other light sources in the room. For instance my LCD has a "movie mode" that brightens and increases saturation in order to show better colours in brightly lit rooms.

However, some manufacturers have added glass panels in front of the LCD panel. This is to give a hard, protective covering to an otherwise soft LCD panel. The ones I've seen also seem to have some kind of polarising/filtering effect, which does increase vibrancy. To me, they look like you've got sunglasses on your screen, so they are probably also cutting out some of the light from the screen. That's not a big deal as most LCDs seem to need their backlights turned way down to get to good colour levels.

Well, aren't LCD's usually equipped with a glass screen to increase color "vibrancy" and thus anti-glare coating would be counterproductive.

Regards,
SB

Antiglare does not reduce vibrancy, it simply eliminates the vast majority of reflected light.

It's the same kind of coating you get on spectacle lenses and I don't really know of the physics behind it but from observation of some aging spectacle lenses, light transmission is greater through the coated areas than those parts which the coating has worn off.

Antiglare does not reduce vibrancy, it simply eliminates the vast majority of reflected light.

It's the same kind of coating you get on spectacle lenses and I don't really know of the physics behind it but from observation of some aging spectacle lenses, light transmission is greater through the coated areas than those parts which the coating has worn off.

I understand that, but if you compared a LCD with a Glass cover versus one with a Glass cover and an antiglare coating over it, it ends up looking similar to regular LCD screens or even worse with reguards to color "vibrancy." Or how well the colors stand out. Maybe there's a better word for it.

Regards,
SB

Back