Help: Backing up PS3 HDD without PS3

Hmmm...Hmmm...I'm a little bit dubitative...I'll check on the PSStore tonight...I've already downloaded WipeoutHD and Siren:Blood Curse twice,on the same PS3 but different HDD...But i'm pretty sure the terms and conditions are the same for all the PSStore Games...:oops:

Dude. Press games can only be downloaded once. WipEout HD is no longer in my downloaded games - because I could only download it once.

Dude. Press games can only be downloaded once. WipEout HD is no longer in my downloaded games - because I could only download it once.

Wipeout HD full game icon has been replaced by the demo one on the PSStore(maybe the reason why you can't see it in your downloaded games list), so you download the demo, and it will activate the key to the full game according to your PSN ID...Siren:Blood Curse is a press game too and I downloaded it twice, that wasn't a dream ... ;)

Wipeout HD full game icon has been replaced by the demo one on the PSStore(maybe the reason why you can't see it in your downloaded games list), so you download the demo, and it will activate the key to the full game according to your PSN ID...Siren:Blood Curse is a press game too and I downloaded it twice, that wasn't a dream ... ;)

lol. Are you video games press? I think you're misunderstanding what I mean...Sony sent me a code to download the games for free. They can only be downloaded once, so I can't share games-not-bought with other people.

Your situation really stinks man, but at this point you really have no option. When you put an HDD into a PS3 that doesn't share the same hardware ID, the data will be lost because the system will force a format.

Honestly...I don't know what to say man. I really really really do not like gamesharing too much, but it seems at this point, that may be your only option to get these games back without a charge.

Edit: Also, now that I think back, even with my backups that I make regularly, on the two new PS3's that I got (as a result of their deaths) I had to re-download all of my games, because it would not re-install the titles onto a new PS3 with a new Hardware ID. So even if you manage to make a PS3 compatible backup, if you get a new PS3 (as opposed to the one you own now) it will not reinstall the data for you, the only things that are restored are media (vidoes and pictures) and game save data (user data as well, IIRC).

Last edited by a moderator:

I think you're misunderstanding what a "press game" is.

A full "retail" game on PSN would be what you're referring to (in this case, Siren and WipEout HD).

A "press" title is something sent directly from the publisher to members of the enthusiast media (aka the press) so they can preview/review the games.

Your situation really stinks man, but at this point you really have no option. When you put an HDD into a PS3 that doesn't share the same hardware ID, the data will be lost because the system will force a format.

Honestly...I don't know what to say man. I really really really do not like gamesharing too much, but it seems at this point, that may be your only option to get these games back without a charge.

Edit: Also, now that I think back, even with my backups that I make regularly, on the two new PS3's that I got (as a result of their deaths) I had to re-download all of my games, because it would not re-install the titles onto a new PS3 with a new Hardware ID. So even if you manage to make a PS3 compatible backup, if you get a new PS3 (as opposed to the one you own now) it will not reinstall the data for you, the only things that are restored are media (vidoes and pictures) and game save data (user data as well, IIRC).

OK. This sucks. Surely this is a massive disadvantage to the PS3 (which seems to be failing a lot recently...even so much that Sony has extended the 1 year warranty). If your 360 fails you can copy over your HDD data without it right?

Yes, reports of PS3 failures aren't as uncommon as they were. I thought with XB360 the service is a return-to-base one, so you get your HDD or content back, but it's a 2+ week wait? Whereas Sony apparently make a doorstep replacement, so there's no delay, but the issue with HDD's then rears its ugly head.

I think the only option is to contact Sony directly explaining your position and hope they can make an exception, which isn't an issue for 99.99% of PS3 owners who can download their content again.

which seems to be failing a lot recently...even so much that Sony has extended the 1 year warranty
I've not read stories about lots of failing PS3s, and I see http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/Warranties/PS3, and it still says 1 year warranty. In the UK, I believe it's still 1 year too. Do you have any links to share about this?

As far as the failing drive, I guess you're expected to use the backup utility from time to time if you have critical data that you need to keep (ie: saves you want to keep, press-only downloads etc).

I backup every month or so, and while I know this doesn't help you right now it might be worth doing in future.

Dean

But backups don't restore onto a different PS3! Had Deepbrown backup up everything onto an external HDD, when the replacement PS3 arrived he'd put it in and get almost nothing restored, and certainly none of his press-games. Sony provide no solution to this whatsoever. A backup is only good for upgrading your HDD, not restoring your PS3 you want/need a replacement. When PS3slim comes along, all those press games will have to go again. But from Sony's POV, that's fair. The press versions are for review. Once the game is out, if journo's want to play the game they ought to buy it, I guess. The only serious problem is if failure of the system prevents a review from being made, which Sony ought to deal with directly.

I think he meant "backup" in the loose sense.

It's a missed opportunity for Sony. I wouldn't mind having a service or a small gadget/software to auto-sync my game saves periodically.

I don't know Dean each member at my former place who bought a 60 has had red/yellow or drive failure and gotten a replacement. I haven't seen/heard a single 40 (Shifty may have had a 40 can't remember) or 80 have problems but I know I intentionally stayed away from the 60s when buying my PS3.

I have a working 60Gb (Although I swapped out the HDD for a 500Gb last November). :)

The newer ones are quieter and cooler; should live longer.

I don't know Dean each member at my former place who bought a 60 has had red/yellow or drive failure and gotten a replacement. I haven't seen/heard a single 40 (Shifty may have had a 40 can't remember) or 80 have problems but I know I intentionally stayed away from the 60s when buying my PS3.

Obv. they will give me a 60gb replacement.

Its seems only really to be a a big issue with press games then right? Pretty much everything else can be re-downloaded.

Best thing to do for "special" cases like yours would be to speak to sony. Im sure the would give you a new code if you are entitled. Though as wipeout has been out for a while i guess you would be out of luck.

Maybe that is why press games dont have the same t&c as purchased games, they possibly not deemed valid for 'permanent' ownership and therefore are one-off downloads.

I also have a working 60GB and a couple a friends got 20GB all JAP editions from the release. Most BD failures, anecdotal evidence of people I know, its the 40GB that has had the problem.

As for the backup, I believe you are SOL, same thing happend to a friend of mine and he called Sony and they said sorry. Although he managed to get the rep to reveal that there actually is some software that can do the backup from one PS3 to another, wether its true or not, didn't matter since he said it was a Sony internal tool only.

Another thing, press games, do you get to download BD releases also? I would so love if I could purchase games on psn and just put it on download to store on my HDD. No more discs :D

Its seems only really to be a a big issue with press games then right? Pretty much everything else can be re-downloaded.

Best thing to do for "special" cases like yours would be to speak to sony. Im sure the would give you a new code if you are entitled. Though as wipeout has been out for a while i guess you would be out of luck.

Maybe that is why press games dont have the same t&c as purchased games, they possibly not deemed valid for 'permanent' ownership and therefore are one-off downloads.

And then there's all my save games...(of which there are about 100)

I think he meant "backup" in the loose sense.

It's a missed opportunity for Sony. I wouldn't mind having a service or a small gadget/software to auto-sync my game saves periodically.

Sony providing online storage and auto sync of save files for say a £2 a month could be a nice little earner for sony...

Yes, or build it as part of that Playstation Media Manager (sync game saves over the net) to grow the footprint of Sony's digital distribution.

(Shifty may have had a 40 can't remember)
Yeah, mine and my mate's were both 40 GBs, BRD drive failures.

JPT said:
Although he managed to get the rep to reveal that there actually is some software that can do the backup from one PS3 to another, wether its true or not, didn't matter since he said it was a Sony internal tool only.
And it has to remain that way. The whole problem here is piracy. If an HDD could be restored to any PS3, pirates would offer HDD clones full of content. What Sony need to do though is offer a service to transfer content from one PS3 to another, which they can keep tabs on without breaching their security.
deepbrown said:
And then there's all my save games...(of which there are about 100)
These can be backed up and restored. And distributed. If it's just the BRD drive failure and the PS3 still turns on and operates, you can backup your saves at least.

I've had all my 4 launch 60s die on me (either failing to boot or hanging repeatedly) and Sony extended the warranty and replaced each one for free. The replacement 60s they sent me haven't died yet, but some are noticeably louder.

I have one 80 gig unit that's been solid as a rock.

But backups don't restore onto a different PS3! Had Deepbrown backup up everything onto an external HDD, when the replacement PS3 arrived he'd put it in and get almost nothing restored, and certainly none of his press-games. Sony provide no solution to this whatsoever. A backup is only good for upgrading your HDD, not restoring your PS3 you want/need a replacement. When PS3slim comes along, all those press games will have to go again. But from Sony's POV, that's fair. The press versions are for review. Once the game is out, if journo's want to play the game they ought to buy it, I guess. The only serious problem is if failure of the system prevents a review from being made, which Sony ought to deal with directly.

I think you are taking his situation and applying it to all PS3 users, which is a bit unfair.

With the XB360, you can detach your HDD, keep it, and play that content whenever you like. That is their fix to a failed console.

With the PS3, you can back up your data, or, conversely, re-download everything onto the new console.

For the average user, both situations are manageable, but not ideal. In his case, he cannot redownload the press builds of these games, but that situation does not transfer to all PS3 users. If they were standard builds of games that were purchased, a redownload would solve all of the problems (well, all except the save data issue, for which a backup utility is provided).

Honestly, if Sony provides standard users with all of the tools to ensure their data can be kept safe and up-to-date (via the backup feature) I fail to see what needs to be addressed, other than the management of press builds of games and the users who may have them.

That said, the backup is still usefull, as it will restore user data, save data, install data (meaning once you back up you will not have to reinstall data from disc based games). The only thing that cannot be restored from a backup save onto another PS3 are downloaded titles, which can be re-downloaded for normal users.

Back