Super Bowl: Steelers Cardinals

Great game with an utterly horrible ending. When it gets a name for history it won't be a positive one anywhere except Pittsburgh. You have to call a review on that "fumble." You simply have to, just to call one you have to. His arm was clearly in motion.

I don't really follow the NFL much, so I always root for the underdog in the superbowl. It's too bad the cardinals didn't pull it off. They were close.

Great game with an utterly horrible ending. When it gets a name for history it won't be a positive one anywhere except Pittsburgh. You have to call a review on that "fumble." You simply have to, just to call one you have to. His arm was clearly in motion.

I thought they would review it, but I don't think it would have gotten over turned. The arm moved forward, but he did not have control of the ball so it was clearly a fumble. Still given there was only one play left afteward anyway I would not get my self in a tizzy over it anyway unless I was excited about getting myself in a tizzy. After watching it one of the things I think if adding another ref behind the QB to see the constant blatant holding might not be a bad idea, though it would ruin tradition I guess.

That was a good game.

You know I was driving to work today looking at the multi billion dollar stadium the gaints and jets are building and I thought.... shit if there is ever a jets vs giants super bowl it would not be played here. In fact we spent hundreds of millions as jersey tax payers for teams that don't bare our state in their names and for a domeless stadium.

oh well.

Yuck you sound like my father. Be a man, football was meant to be played outside, not in a dome. :p

Yuck you sound like my father. Be a man, football was meant to be played outside, not in a dome. :p

Yea , be a man and stop for comercial breaks !!!

Seriously though I love the snow games up in jersey as much as the next guy but 1.6B on a stadium and you can't get the biggest event of that sport there ? Why even bother ?

I think its crazy to limit where the games are played to begin with but come on building a 1.6b stadium and not putting on a dome.... seriously

Yea , be a man and stop for comercial breaks !!!

Seriously though I love the snow games up in jersey as much as the next guy but 1.6B on a stadium and you can't get the biggest event of that sport there ? Why even bother ?

I think its crazy to limit where the games are played to begin with but come on building a 1.6b stadium and not putting on a dome.... seriously

The only benefit to a dome imo is they could have hosted concerts in the winter

You're right about the dome. It would be a decent place to have a concert especially since it would be cheaper access to those not living in NYC.

I fell asleep during the first half the game. Had too much beer at first and wasn't coherent at all. Sobered up a bit for the second half and was rooting for the Cardinals in my mind. All my friends wanted the Steelers to win. Some of them made a comment that Arizona deserves the loss to rub it in their face and relating it to the election.

Some guy made a comment about not reviewing fumbles and things like that during the last 2 minutes of a quarter or the game, or that the teams are not allowed to ask for a review. I know little of football.

Coaches cannot ask for review at the end of the game it has to come from the officials in the booth. They did review one and not the other fumble/pass. The last one was actually IMO a fumble as there are pictures showing that Warner did not have control as his hand came forward which is the prerequisite for it not to be a fumble. The defender had his hand on the ball when it was back not on Warners arm. When they only get the arm the quarterback can fling it forward and get it called an incomplete pass to save a sack, but when the defender has his hand on the ball they are pretty much screwed b/c it is going to come loose as soon as it starts going forward which makes it a fumble.

It should have went to review and the rule explained on the field. Instead they've built doubt up and once again made a Steelers Super Bowl win one questioned for its officiating.

Instead they've built doubt up and once again made a Steelers Super Bowl win one questioned for its officiating.

I don't know if I would go that far. Let's say the call was reversed, what are the odds the Cardinals score a touchdown on a 50+ yard hail mary? And while I feel the call should have at the very least been looked at, I do believe it was fairly clear it was a fumble. Ultimately (and most importantly), the call was right.

I don't know if I would go that far. Let's say the call was reversed, what are the odds the Cardinals score a touchdown on a 50+ yard hail mary? And while I feel the call should have at the very least been looked at, I do believe it was fairly clear it was a fumble. Ultimately (and most importantly), the call was right.

I read that there was a penalty called against the Steelers on the play, so the ball actually would have been on the 30 yard line, which is very doable in one play.

I don't know if it was a fumble or not because I don't know the exact ruling. It looked like his arm was moving forward to throw, but the ball was falling out of his hand pretty early in the motion. If someone can explain how the fumble is determined, I might have more of an opinion.

It seemed like it would be worth a longer look, at least, but maybe by the rule it is very clear cut.

That was not a fumble. It was a poor job by the booth. The arm was in forward motion of throwing. It's a fumble if he's just holding onto the ball and moving around. Once his arm starts the forward motion of throwing the ball, it's an incomplete pass.

I read that there was a penalty called against the Steelers on the play, so the ball actually would have been on the 30 yard line, which is very doable in one play.

Well it was a personal foul call iirc, so best case scenario it would have been placed at the 35 (full disclosure, I don't know the exact rules in this situation, just guessing where the ball would be placed). Having said that, I don't find a 35 (or 30 even) yard hail mary "very doable in one play". It's still extremely unlikely that Cardinals score a touchdown in that circumstance.

That was not a fumble. It was a poor job by the booth. The arm was in forward motion of throwing. It's a fumble if he's just holding onto the ball and moving around. Once his arm starts the forward motion of throwing the ball, it's an incomplete pass.

The ball was moving around in his hand as he started his throwing motion, thus a fumble.

whbja8.jpg

Take a good look at your DPoY. *applause*

I'm not saying the Cardinals would have won the game or that the call was even going to be reversed. But going to review and a on field explanation would have made people saying its a bad call mute.

As for a 50 yard throw by the Cardinals... higher than any other team in the NFL.

Well it was a personal foul call iirc, so best case scenario it would have been placed at the 35 (full disclosure, I don't know the exact rules in this situation, just guessing where the ball would be placed). Having said that, I don't find a 35 (or 30 even) yard hail mary "very doable in one play". It's still extremely unlikely that Cardinals score a touchdown in that circumstance.

They can always get a pass interference call on the defense. The game can't end of a defensive penalty so they'd get an additional play with no time left on the clock.

The ball was moving around in his hand as he started his throwing motion, thus a fumble.

I'm not going to argue something that subjective. To me, the Cards got a bad call.

According to NFL VP of Officiating Mike Pereira, the replay official upstairs did see the play clearly.

“We confirmed it was a fumble,” said Pereira. “The replay assistant in the replay booth saw it was clearly a fumble. The ball got knocked loose and was rolling in his hand before it started forward. He has to have total control.

If you would like they could have dithered around for five minutes and told you the same exact thing. Or they could let the game play out instead of interrupting it when they already had clearly decided upstairs (that is where the replay decision is made in case you forgot). It was fairly obvious in slow motion it was a fumble, if you don't think so I can understand wishful thinking, but I personally don't engage that much in it in football. I even though Santonio missed the touchdown at first until they replayed it in slow motion.

The one thing I learned is it is illegal to pull a player into the touchdown as the steelers tried the one time (though they did not get it on review anyway). I was not aware of that rule, but it made me wonder if it is illegal to push as well since all teams do that all the time.

I don't know why the cards are so upset about the officiating. Number 69 did hold on almost every play and could have been called way more often. Fitzgeralds catch in the end zone would normally have a 50% chance of being ruled an incompletion. He had it on his helmet, the ball hit the ground before his hands, the ball moved in his hands when it did so. That often is counted as an incompletion. I was wondering why the steelers did not challenge that, but Tomlin chose not to. Perhaps it was b/c the cards would have like 2 more chances from the 1 yard line so there was no point, but it seemed foolish to me. (I am not talking about the superb 64 yard catch and run, but rather another superb catch in the endzone.) And I did think he caught it well enough as I think the rules is often applied poorly in that situation where the refs say the ground assisted with the catch when in reality the ground interferes by jarring the bowl partially loose.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back