New PS3 board shown at CES

The new mobo looks to be about half the area of the original. XDR RAM is shrunk. Heat spreaders are as large as ever, but branj812's images suggest a far smaller two-part heatsink. The weight must be well down. Where's the most likely source for power readings?

The outputs have moved too. And what is that silver thing at the top on the second photo? Seems like there's a pretty big difference.

Who knows if there's a "PSthree" in our near future, but there appears to have been a somewhat significant rearrangement of the guts.

A long way to go...

Amen to that! I can't understand why people persist in speculating on a slim PSthree anytime soon, here's a post I put in another thread

Me said:
From reading some of the threads about process shrinks etc I think that's still a few years away, it took 4 process shrinks over the course of 4-5 years to get a combined PS2 chip, the PS3's just been through 1 round of shrinks. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see a slim PS3 until sometime in 2011.

In addition to that the PS2 went through (IIRC) 10 or 12 internal revisions over those years before the slim version hit.

Amen to that! I can't understand why people persist in speculating on a slim PSthree anytime soon, here's a post I put in another thread

In addition to that the PS2 went through (IIRC) 10 or 12 internal revisions over those years before the slim version hit.

I hope the PS3slim comes sooner rather than later, like Christmas 2009.

The PS3 needs a slim like relaunch to get the hardware moving in Japan.

The PS2Slimline was releases in November 2004, 4 years and 7 months after the PS2 was launched, March 2000.

If the PS3slim were to launch in November 2009, that would be 3 years from the console launch in Novemeber 2006, a year and a half quicker than the redesign was accomplished with the PS2.

The only way Sony would be able to achieve the redesign in a much quicker timeframe than with the PS2, is if this project was giver greater resources and capital to achieve it's goals, this seems unlikely.

The other factor to consider is the actually finalisation date of the PS3 hardware versus the launch date. It would be safe to assume that the PS3's delay from March 2006 launch to November, means that the work on the redesign started a little earlier. Probably still not enough time to expect a PS3slim any sooner than 2010. But there is always hope.

PS3slim (or X360 slim) will have to deal with the added encumberment of the enclosed HDD though. Wont be so easy this time around as with PS2.

Too bad the pic only shows the "new" mobo versus the "original". I mean, who knows how "new" the smaller one really is?

Hopefully it means a price cut around Kz2 time though. We can hope..

Sony sold 74.34 millions PS1 before PSone
Sony sold 73.90 millions PS2 before PStwo
and even in their first versions, this consoles has low power consumption CPU/GPU with more fast process evolution and no HDD
maybe we will have a new PS3 design but not really a slim version

wow hopefully by 40nm they can shrink the ps3. I'd buy a new one if they can get it to a quarter of the size. both my systems are way to large

The new board is roughly 2/3rd of the original boards size in surface area from my measurements.

The important part of getting PS3 that is significantly smaller than what we have know is getting the amount of dissipated heat to go down. Almost half the volume and most of the weight of the current build is the cooling system. They've already made pretty big improvements with the 40GB model as far as power consumption (135W down from 200W).

Also the Bluray drive itself is fairly big. It's basically full PC form factor size minus a little bit. I'm sure by now major component reductions on the drive itself could result in a much simpler drive unit. Sometime more like a laptop size optical drive is no doubt the goal. This will probably also be key to getting a PS Slim.

Combining RSX and Cell is probably not going to happen for a long time. But I seriously don't think Sony will wait for that to happen before doing a relaunch of the console in a new form factor. I don't think PS2 is going to be the model with just one major iteration per generation. It will likely be modeled after the PSP which has had already 3 major hardware relaunches from the consumers perspective.

I'm pretty optimistic that they will be able to pull off a PS3 that is almost half the size of the current model in this year.

I'm not sure it's a new board it looks exactly like the 3rd one minus the extra piece. So unless they cut off quite a few chips or moved it to the backside. I'm not sure what's going on there.

I'm not sure it's a new board it looks exactly like the 3rd one minus the extra piece. So unless they cut off quite a few chips or moved it to the backside. I'm not sure what's going on there.

I spot several changes in actual component parts and layout besides that extra long bit.

2csf8kk.jpg

PS3slim (or X360 slim) will have to deal with the added encumberment of the enclosed HDD though. Wont be so easy this time around as with PS2.

Too bad the pic only shows the "new" mobo versus the "original". I mean, who knows how "new" the smaller one really is?

Hopefully it means a price cut around Kz2 time though. We can hope..

1.8" HDD may do the trick (but with some additional cost though)

The extra piece is only for the wireless connection. It was a separate board earlier. Maybe moved back again.

4 XDR ram chips down to 2. I doubt there'll be much more significant changes over the board. The components are still going to be needed with reduced chips and there's only so much an IC can do. When the process shrinks enable both GPU+CPU on one die, then the board should see more significant simplification and shrinkage. Just a change from 90nm GPU to 65nm GPU isn't going to result in a huge change though.

Back