How capable it's Wii to enhance RE remake?

ken_masters

Newcomer
Resident Evil of Game Cube is a title that shows crispy graphics today. But, can u imagine a new remake for the Wii taking advantage of Wii superior memory size, mhz...?

I speak about a 2D game like GC version, not a port from GC. For example, a remake of Resident Evil 2.

More 2d animations on screen? better textures? no 'door' loadings?

Resident Evil of Game Cube is a title that shows crispy graphics today. But, can u imagine a new remake for the Wii taking advantage of Wii superior memory size, mhz...?

I speak about a 2D game like GC version, not a port from GC. For example, a remake of Resident Evil 2.

More 2d animations on screen? better textures? no 'door' loadings?
That kind of would not be a bad idea if they remade all of the PS1 generation RE games. I don't know that the Wii would be the best platform though.

I have to agree with you that RE1 remake for the GC still kind of holds up today. It was the first Gamecube title that I kept and the first one to blow me away, unlike the launch titles released 4 months earlier. I thought Waverace was pretty impressive but not enough for a then-new Nintendo system.

That kind of would not be a bad idea if they remade all of the PS1 generation RE games. I don't know that the Wii would be the best platform though.

I have to agree with you that RE1 remake for the GC still kind of holds up today. It was the first Gamecube title that I kept and the first one to blow me away, unlike the launch titles released 4 months earlier. I thought Waverace was pretty impressive but not enough for a then-new Nintendo system.

You forgot Rogue Squadron II ;)

Mod : And you forgot a couple of little letters needed to make a real word...

Wave Race has no competence, could be better but the N64 version it's still a reference in the genre.

they added progressive scan for the port, but it looks terrible on my TV, much worse than RE4, the game is super rough, like tons of jaggies. It look decent on a regular tv but not in 480p.

Remade versions for PS3 and Xbox 360 with completely new full 1920 x 1080p prerendered backgrounds and even better looking characters and objects would be cool :D.

Last edited by a moderator:
Because ps3/60 owners are not so desperate for even a decent game that they would buy that. Unlike wii owners (like me) where you are basically jumping up and down when you finally have a game again that isnt complete garbage. Not that I would buy a remake, better have them make something new. Re:UC and RE:4 sold well enough on wii to prove there is a market.

Because ps3/60 owners are not so desperate for even a decent game that they would buy that. Unlike wii owners (like me) where you are basically jumping up and down when you finally have a game again that isnt complete garbage. Not that I would buy a remake, better have them make something new. Re:UC and RE:4 sold well enough on wii to prove there is a market.

Why don't Wii owners get another console then if they are so desperate for games?

I got $350 for mine, sold with everything the system came with + another remote and nunchuck, Wii Play, Metroid Prime 3, Twilight Princess, and component cables. I probably could've gotten more if I'd waited 'till Christmas.

The Gamecube could handle a RE1-style close quarters game with far more detail than was exhibited in RE4. Early development of RE4 was actually headed in that direction, with a Leon model that had better texturing and possibly more geometry than Chris or Jill's models in REmake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koHGjpvPN74&feature=related

The 2D backgrounds of REmake aren't exactly free. There's invisible geometry there for clipping and collision, and even streaming, the graphics have to take up some memory. But more detailed characters could have probably been introduced later in the Gamecube's life cycle. A Wii version might have supported widescreen 480p with more effects (possibly some AA). I doubt they'd go 60fps on it, because the video backgrounds would have to keep up or have the characters looking strangely out of place.

The Gamecube could handle a RE1-style close quarters game with far more detail than was exhibited in RE4. Early development of RE4 was actually headed in that direction, with a Leon model that had better texturing and possibly more geometry than Chris or Jill's models in REmake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koHGjpvPN74&feature=related

The 2D backgrounds of REmake aren't exactly free. There's invisible geometry there for clipping and collision, and even streaming, the graphics have to take up some memory. But more detailed characters could have probably been introduced later in the Gamecube's life cycle. A Wii version might have supported widescreen 480p with more effects (possibly some AA). I doubt they'd go 60fps on it, because the video backgrounds would have to keep up or have the characters looking strangely out of place.

Occlusion could have been handled by a shallow z-buffer (8bit should be sufficient) saved with the prerendered movie.
I'd really like to see something like this be done. When you see it working, it's surprisingly effective. You can even do lighting passes over the prerendered movie. It's much better than the standard flicking camera angles of the old RE's, and allows for much more advanced rendering techniques, although with somewhat more static and constrained environments.
With Wiis ~9Gb discs, storage capacity shouldn't be a hindrance to the size of the game.

Back