*spawn* PS3 backwards compatibility

Phil

wipEout bastard
Veteran
Mod : Spawned from the God of War 3 thread.

Would you happen to know if these games work on an EU launch PS3 (emulated EE, GS on board)? I might pic it up cheap...

Though I have to say, for some strange reason, I have more problems replaying my favorite PS2 games than I do playing the pixelated mess that was PSone games... maybe my favorite games on PSone just lend themselves better to replaying a few years later and are timeless (Final Fantasys)....

Would you happen to know if these games work on an EU launch PS3 (emulated EE, GS on board)? I might pic it up cheap...

Last I heard launch PS3s have full BC. I don't have GoW, but none of the other PS2 games I have had a single problem. They are region-locked like regular PS2 games, though.

But don't launch PS3s actually have an EE and GS on-board? The 80Gig models (out in 2007) are the ones with some software emulation.

I have a 60Gb EU PS3 (October 2007), and GoW I & II are working perfectly... And if you own a PSP, you should give a try to GoW Chains Of Olympus also. ;)

I have a 60Gb EU PS3 (October 2007), and GoW I & II are working perfectly... And if you own a PSP, you should give a try to GoW Chains Of Olympus also. ;)

Ditto on the GoW I&II working on launch EU 60GB PS3s, which, by the way, do not have same kind of full BC that the launch US and Japan PS3s have - rather they are like the 80GB BC PS3s that were launched later in the U.S. before the non-BC PS3s were released (ugh ... ).

But don't launch PS3s actually have an EE and GS on-board? The 80Gig models (out in 2007) are the ones with some software emulation.
20GB and 60GB NTSC launch units have hardware BC ... None of the PAL PS3s have Emotion Engine iirc ...

Played thru both GOWI and II on my MGS4 80BG PS3. Both ran flawlessly as far as I can tell.

I'm really looking forward to 3.

20GB and 60GB NTSC launch units have hardware BC ... None of the PAL PS3s have Emotion Engine iirc ...

I know the discontinued 60GB PAL PS3 had BC but the latest 40/80GB dont. I've seen some refurbished 60GB selling at EB for nearly 33% higher than a new 40/80GB unit.

None of the PAL PS3s have Emotion Engine iirc ...

That's right, the launch PAL PS3 60Gb has hardware GS but software emulated EE. All the PS2 games I've tried on mine (PES6, GT4, MGS2, MGS3, GTA:VC, Black, Burnout Revenge, plus others) have worked flawlessly.

That's right, the launch PAL PS3 60Gb has hardware GS but software emulated EE. All the PS2 games I've tried on mine (PES6, GT4, MGS2, MGS3, GTA:VC, Black, Burnout Revenge, plus others) have worked flawlessly.

I think this is also true for my MGS4 80GB PS3, right????

AFAIK 80GB MGS4 PS3 bundle is same as 40gb but with larger harddrive. No BC for you!

No I definitely have BC. I've played through GOW I and II on it.
I was able to play RE4 on on it, although I haven't finished it yet. I also purchased Person 3 FES for it, but I haven't opened it yet to test it.

One of the reasons I got the MGS4 bundle was that there was rumors that it would be the last BC capable PS3.

I was wondering if it was the one with a GS, but no EE.

Nearly every PS2 game will work on the Euro consoles. At least any game I have :D

Tell that to my beloved Jak & Daxter or ICO (that I still haven't completed... :oops:)... :cry:

But thanks for the advice on GoW! I will pick it up if I find it cheap :D

Tell that to my beloved Jak & Daxter or ICO (that I still haven't completed... :oops:)... :cry:

Ico PAL (UK) worked perfectly on my uk PAL Launch PS3. Does yours fail? Or did I misunderstand?:???:

Mine didn't work (at the time). Just a black screen. I had to hook up my old PS2 to be able to play it. Maybe it was solved in one of the updates... I haven't really bothered to check. :S

The US 80GB MGS4 bundles were the last ones with partial BC, but Europe seems to get screwed over more.

I believe the PS3s with partial hardware BC play around 88% of PS2 titles and the full hardware BC PS3 are suppose to be in the mid to high 90s. Of course, it doesn't matter if your particular games won't play. :)

I played ICO on my Euro console - worked perfectly well. Played Shadow of the Colossus too. I also believe that Jak was fixed (originally didn't work, patched later)

Back