1989-2009 - EGM is Dead - RIP

I understand why this happened, knew it would happen and probably roughly when it would happen, but nonetheless I am truly saddened. I've been subscribing to EGM off and on for most of its existence and despite all of the news that breaks on the net will miss looking forward to a booklet sticking out of my mail box in the first week of the month. This is understandable but profound. It's odd to think that it's the end of an age and I'm witnessing the death of a medium.

I started with Nintendo Power which I initially received for free after sending a couple of UPC tags from the Nintendo Cereal box (Nin-Ten-Do! It's a cereal wow!). After a few years of Nintendo Power I grew up and subscribed to GamePro. Following that EGM and it's been EGM ever since. In the end it's just less mail that I'll be getting, but wow. Wow.

I do think mags like EGM were totally irrelevant today though, except the rare occasion they could land an exclusive unveiling (and even then, the scans would be on the internet).

Put it this way, I used to have one of those free EGM subscriptions, and I let it lapse. It literally wasnt worth free..

But why were they let go if they were bought? Isn't the staff worth as much as the brand and the websites?

I loved the 1UP show, 1UP FM, 1UP Yours, I'd easily pay for them if they were available through PSN.

EDIT: Oh, read up on it. They deserved it. Stupid internet business relying on ad revenue. Don't get me started.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't say I really care to be honest. I read EGM for two years and it went way down hill in that time frame. I stopped my subscription when issues were comprised of about 30 pages of actual reading material.

I understand why this happened, knew it would happen and probably roughly when it would happen, but nonetheless I am truly saddened.

This. I feel that something needs to change fundamentally about gaming media (Not just consolidation).

I am curious to see if any 1UP guys would take his/her initiative to restart their podcast. They could put up a page to let people register their interests first to gauge viability (They need to do it quickly though, and include subscription pricing info).

I thought Qore or PULSE should involve the users more too; instead of sticking to their current format. It's too much of a monologue. I hope to see someone talk back.

Sad indeed. I subscribed to EGM for several years in the early nineties, and I still pick it up occasionally as airplane reading material. One of my favorite issues, from probably '94 had coverage of Final Fantasy 6, Chrono Trigger, and an interview with Nobuo Uematsu! Those were the days.

I'll be sure to pick up the final issue.

There are moves afoot from the original participants to resurrect 1UP Yours.

Well, except for Shane Bettenhausen and skip, the 1up Yours participants are still at 1up. Shane left for mysterious pastures -- he doesn't want to tell anyone where it is, and the rebel FM (1up FM and 1up show + Anthony Gallegos) said that they might be the ones getting the exclusive, 'to help them out'.

Back