Extremely high cpu temperature

weaksauce

Regular
It's an e8400 with the standard cpu cooler and the standard thermal paste that came on the cpu, and everything is fitted as good as we can get it. While simply surfing and installing applications, the temperature goes over 110C. I've checked the temp in bios, speedfan and everest, it's the same. It has never restarted, although it may shut down when you change bios settings (instead of restarting), or it may suddenly close down in vista. There's some fat (I mean finger prints) underneath the heatsink because they've fiddled with it, but I can't believe it would have such an impact. Furthormore I am suspecting it's something with the sensors, because other than the utterly random shut downs, it's flawless.

Just tried prime95. It jumped to over 80 in just four seconds, and continued to 112, where I stopped it just in case it is actually the correct temperature. Otherwise it's working fine, playing 1080p just splendid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the heatsink feel like it's getting that hot? If it's a bad sensor you should be able to tell by just touching the fins, at 110c they'd be scorching!

Does the heatsink feel like it's getting that hot? If it's a bad sensor you should be able to tell by just touching the fins, at 110c they'd be scorching!

It feels like it's in the 40's. I checked the cpu itself sometimes and could not percieve it to be hotter than normal. Although this dude has the exact same setup and similar symptoms, and they think the readings are accurate:
http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx...board_id=1&model=P5N-D&page=1&SLanguage=en-us
Which is rather insane because you'd figure it'd be dead by now. Intel must have some badass quality silicone.

It's my friends computer and he's gonna call the store he bought it from tomorrow, maybe they have some policy in case somethings defect, otherwise we're gonna try with another heatsink later (with reapplied thermal grease since we don'thave that atm..), unless anyone here knows something better.

Have you set your CPU voltage manually?

Some motherboards mess the settings up real bad in auto mod when changing other stuff.

It should be around 1.225v (my E8400 is 1.225v).

Extremely high (if accurate) CPU temps and a cool heatsink mean you don't have a good thermal path from the CPU to the heatsink.

I don't know if you can reach the motherboard around the CPU, but if that's screaming hot and the heatsink is cool, you probably have something wrong with the heatsink mounting.

It doesn't sound right and I would try a different heatsink if you have one to spare.

BIOS updates sometimes resolve issues like this also...

We received a new heatsink from the store, cooler master tx2. With it the cpu reaches a top of 87C under prime95... The heatsink itself feels like it's no more than 40though, it's pretty cool... I just suppose it is mounted alright, because other than pushing down the pins I don't know what to do, they've made it too easy... Even if I try to support the heatsink by just pushing it a bit with my hand, the temperature doesn't really change because of it what I can see.

and the voltage is set manually at 1.22500

edit after some messing around witht he heatsink fasteners it has gone done to 56 on load which is OK but still not quite as it should be I think. Maybe the fasteners aren't crammed down as much as possible, but I don't want to press too hard of fear of breaking the motherboard, so I figure I'll just leave it like this...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back