European Console Sales (2009 Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was thinking about the not so huge software sales increase for PS3. Could this be evidence to suggest that many of the new owners were not buying games with the system, which would in turn suggest that many of the sales would be from people buying a second PS3 or a replacement for thier current fat model?

Don't forget blu-ray, and also when you buy a new system with 3 years of presence… generally you found a lot of second-hand games so why buy full 70€ games when you can found these for 40€ or less in the same place?

Don't forget blu-ray, and also when you buy a new system with 3 years of presence… generally you found a lot of second-hand games so why buy full 70€ games when you can found these for 40€ or less in the same place?

Bingo! Totaly forgot about the second hand market :LOL:

It was reported that germany is even bigger a market than UK. But I understand.
not correct (Though no doubt UK's figures get inflated due to ppl outside there buying their software from the UK, to get around censorship issues in eg germany)

2008 figures, console software sales

74million UK
37million ger
35million fra
17million spa
17million ita
14million benelux

but if youre talking pc software sales then yes germany is the largest by far
22million vs 8.5million for the UK

They all bought one game: Call of Duty 4 (it saw a 128% increase.) Why would you need more than one game when you first get it?

A good start, but doesn't match the reported 1000% increase in sales of PS3.

Which makes the point you were replying to an interesting one. And one that appears mirrored at least on this forum.

The fact that many PS3 (fat) owners are replacing them with PS3 Slim. Which makes it difficult to predict how software sales will follow this holiday season.

Then again, the flip side to that is there will be a potential flood of used PS3's on the market. And if those are gobbled up also, then it doesn't really matter all that much if a large part of the current upswing is based on people replacing their older PS3.

Regards,
SB

Would very interesting to know how many people who got the slim as a 2nd console.
I'd guess Sony might have a decent idea from the amount of PSN accounts that showed up on a slim connecting. Although some percentage of it would be game sharing of course.

Which makes the point you were replying to an interesting one. And one that appears mirrored at least on this forum.

The fact that many PS3 (fat) owners are replacing them with PS3 Slim. Which makes it difficult to predict how software sales will follow this holiday season.

Then again, the flip side to that is there will be a potential flood of used PS3's on the market. And if those are gobbled up also, then it doesn't really matter all that much if a large part of the current upswing is based on people replacing their older PS3.

Regards,
SB

I dont think we can make anything of the figures. We dont even know what an increase of 128% in sales means in terms of actual units sold. My initial point was not well cosidered to be honest, the second hand market hadnt even occured to me. The second hand market i expect had a huge boost, new PS3 users would have a ton of great second hand games to choose from at extremely low prices.

All consoles are going ot have to deal with used games/consoles, so that's a non-starter I think when tracking software sales in relation to an upswing in console sales.

Especially when it's part and parcel of the well known trend for attach rates to decline over lifetime of a console as the install base gets bigger. More diversified userbase and more used titles.

But even with that, there should be a noticeable upswing in general software sales even if a large chunk of the new PS3 sales is due to people replacing their older PS3.

Regards,
SB

The reported 1000% doesn't mean much. It's >1000% over the previous week. It's 3x more than its closest competitor, which deepbrown estimated to around 40k. We know CoD4 went up 128%, whatever that means. Do we know anything else? I read earlier that Batman:AA was #1 for last week, over Wii Sports Resort, but I can't access charttrack to see which version.

I'd be willing to bet that this isn't the majority of buyers. OTOH I think it's quite possible that a large number of 360 owners are double-dipping for the exclusives, but that's just a gut feeling.

One thing that might affect significantly uk sales is nordic countries. At least Finnish people by ps3's in masses from amazon.co.uk as ps3 is quite a bit cheaper to order from there than to buy from finland. Those people tend to usually take the console+1game package and buy rest of the games from finland (or used or from some other webstore such as blahdvd.com as those people are very price conscious)

One thing that might affect significantly uk sales is nordic countries. At least Finnish people by ps3's in masses from amazon.co.uk as ps3 is quite a bit cheaper to order from there than to buy from finland. Those people tend to usually take the console+1game package and buy rest of the games from finland (or used or from some other webstore such as blahdvd.com as those people are very price conscious)

I'd be willing to bet on your assumption as being correct ;)

MCV inferred 40k sold the same way everyone else before them did. Chart-Track revealed that the figures were 21% less than what the PS2 slim sold in its first week, and a BBC article showed that to be 50k making ~ 41k for the PS3.

UK is the second largest individual market, ahead of Japan. At least it was in 2008.

Thats why I wrote 2nd/3rd, but AFAIK the uk=2nd thing was fairly arguable. I look at it as UK with 60m people is probably going to be smaller in the long run than Japan with 128m..even if the 60 do consume more games.
The reported 1000% doesn't mean much. It's >1000% over the previous week. It's 3x more than its closest competitor, which deepbrown estimated to around 40k. We know CoD4 went up 128%, whatever that means. Do we know anything else? I read earlier that Batman:AA was #1 for last week, over Wii Sports Resort, but I can't access charttrack to see which version.

360 version was #1, but chart track said the PS3 version closed the gap..and it was only 55-45 week prior.

MCV inferred 40k sold the same way everyone else before them did. Chart-Track revealed that the figures were 21% less than what the PS2 slim sold in its first week, and a BBC article showed that to be 50k making ~ 41k for the PS3.

Sure, they could've figured it out. Deepbrown was the first to post the calculations on GAF that I know of and it's not like these sites are above skipping all the middlemen and using the number unsourced.

KZ2 at 27 might still be a sign of increased PS3 purchasing. Or has KZ2 been consistently charting in the UK? I have to admit I don't pay that much attention to the UK charts.

Regards,
SB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back