European Console Sales (2009 Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The original MCV article also says this...

"However, a closer inspection of the documentation sent to retailers seems to suggest that the Xbox 360 Arcade listing is a placeholder for an as-of-yet unspecified SKU"

May be a little more to this than a price hike. A price hike to the Arcade model and a dumping of the 5 games seems wholly unrealistic to me.

Anyway it means that entry price of 360 will get higher in the UK, Shifty may be on to something, rising the price to be able to announce a cut right before christmas may work in the mysterious world of PR.

The original MCV article also says this...

"However, a closer inspection of the documentation sent to retailers seems to suggest that the Xbox 360 Arcade listing is a placeholder for an as-of-yet unspecified SKU"

May be a little more to this than a price hike. A price hike to the Arcade model and a dumping of the 5 games seems wholly unrealistic to me.

Perhaps Microsoft are just going to go with 1 SKU from now on?
It has been said that the new 120GB Elite was going to cost £160. And now we have this snippet of info that the Arcade 'placeholder' is being advertised at £160.

Could it be that they are in fact refering to the same product?

Since the platform holders report sell-in and not sell-through as their sales numbers, awaiting a channel to clear does not help you meet your sales projections.
Of course not. It means you don't restock (as much), so you ship less, but it's a temporary thing, and you're going to make up for it once the new model rolls out.

That is if we believe that the channel itself desires a certain level of stock, and it's now falling below that. Not every unit sitting in a warehouse somewhere is "channel stuffing" and only wanted by the manufacturer to inflate the next shipment report.

Wow if that survey is even close to true Microsoft has a rabid fanbase despite building an atrociously bad machine from a QC standpoint.

Perhaps Microsoft are just going to go with 1 SKU from now on?
It has been said that the new 120GB Elite was going to cost £160. And now we have this snippet of info that the Arcade 'placeholder' is being advertised at £160.

Could it be that they are in fact refering to the same product?

£160 corresponds to $262 and that would include the British VAT. If your theory is true MS is dead serious about fighting for the UK market.

I wonder how low Sony maybe able to go if they announce a price cut of the PS3 tonight. £199 is probably a psychological barrier that would trig some buys.

Edit: £199 is not very likely, it´s far lower than the leaked €299 price and would make importing a worth while business for main land Europe.

Edit2: Looks like £249 could be the new PS3 price. That would be more inline with €299.

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy sh!T!

Well truth be told out of my 4 friends that own a 360, 2 of them experienced a hw failure.

One got the RROD and the other got the disk killer. His 360 would scratch any disk inserted in it.

Tons of others I met got a rrod after a year or two of use.

None of my 4 friends that own a PS3 experienced a hw failure.....yet.

Personally my two friends that own a PS3 have hw failure… so PS3 have 100% hw failure? No.

No, that's too small a sample base. Nesh was only adding his observations to the results of the poll and seeing some correlation, not making a claim based solely on his experience.

The poll results do look whack to me. As we know, chances are people who had a fault are more likely to reply than not. Perhaps the relative proportion of failures is captured though, with 4:1 XB360s dying relative to PS3?

They both know you. Coincidence? I think not. ;)

Are they 40GB models by the way? I've got a feeling that the first batches of those are less reliable than most of the others. There was a chance in the manufacturing process for that one I think, different laser or something like that. Would be interesting to have statistics on if there's a correlation. I personally also don't know anyone with a failed PS3 (I know about 12 irl).

Whereas out of 3 PS3 owners in my immediate sphere of experience, 2 have had failures. But we've covered all this before and it's pointless to rehash. Suffice to say the %ages shown here are unlikely to be accurate, and we can't attribute half of XB360's European (and worldwide) sales to being replacements for busted consoles!

No, that's too small a sample base. Nesh was only adding his observations to the results of the poll and seeing some correlation, not making a claim based solely on his experience.

The poll results do look whack to me. As we know, chances are people who had a fault are more likely to reply than not. Perhaps the relative proportion of failures is captured though, with 4:1 XB360s dying relative to PS3?

Yep

Sorry Shifty I don't want to claim that PS3 are 100% failure rate (thinking in french than english is not good for writing english! ;)), but more the fact (like you say) that we don't base claim on own small users bases we known.

@Arwin: May be I'm made some Voodoo on them… I don't really remember… ;)
One is first 60Go and other 40Go both have blu-ray dying.
The 60Go die after one year warranty so 120€ repair in store, the 40Go die after one month and take two months for repair.
But in both case the owners find these normally and don't reclaim something like me with MS SAV when I send two time the 360.
In both case they're not following web actualities so I think is really the "averages consumers" target, in non pejorative way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those of you scoffing at Silent_Buddha seem to be suggesting, please correct me if I am wrong, that for a second-quarter that is halfway complete, with retailers being told not to expect more shipments until the end of this month or the beginning of next month, where YoY downward trending sell-through has not outstripped sell-in, that the second quarter numbers will be so phenomenal as to NOT necessitate Sony needing to ship 5 Million units over BOTH of the next two quarters? Sony would need to hit 1.9M units this quarter just for them to "only" need to sell 5+ million in the holiday quarter and then ANOTHER 4-5M in the massive drop-off quarter following the holiday...is this what you all are saying?
I'm actually only saying what I'm saying. If you prepare the introduction of a new model that is more cost effective for all parties involved, why would you keep restocking the old model at the same rate? You wouldn't. You want it run as close as you can to 100% dry just in time for the official launch of the new thing . Every unit of the old type you keep making and shipping is excess cost. Ergo low shipments of the old type, immediately before the introduction of the new thing are to be expected.

I never said they'd ship nothing btw. That'd be exceedingly risky. It has to be balanced in a way that still allows retailers to satisfy the existing demand.

Fun question: are sell-through rates down y-o-y by the same percentage as shipment rates? Can't tell with confidence with the incomplete sales data we get but I think not. Sure, NPD sell-through is down, but not by enough. I think the preparations to introduce a major hardware revision weigh down on shipments significantly.

If the slim is going on sale this quarter, shipments for the July-September quarter should be way above the norm and more than balance out the low shipments in the April-June quarter. That's all I'm saying. What the year total will end up as, I have no idea. I'd have to speculate on pricing first to even make a guess.

I am part of the statistics

WTH!
My PS3 has broken last night - I just started killzone 2, then it froze and finally a blinking red light.

I've tried everything I could find in the internet with no sucess.

The main reason I've bought a PS3 was due to rate failure of X360. What a chance!?

I'll have to contact sony tomorrow - I'm very dissapointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back