A comparison of PS3 and 360 as media players

I would personally expect Sony to partner with Google because they probably can't compete with Microsoft on their own for service/app development.

Gah, I have been struggling to get some foreign language movies with English subtitles on my PS3.

It seems the PS3 only supports subtitles for DivX, DVD and AVCHD files - and DivX doesn't support H264 video meaning I'll have to reencode to the crappier quality DivX codec - all while trying to keep the file under 4GB so it can be easily transferred to and from my PS3 via USB.

Is there any other way to get subtitles to show? (besides burning them into the video)

Have you tried PS3MediaServer or other DLNA streamers?

PS3MediaServer used to work (althought somewhat unreliably - stuttering etc - I think it's the bandwidth of my wifi network, or other people in the house using it simultaneously).

Now it simply refuses to recognise the PS3 on the wifi network (where before it always used to), I just downloaded the latest version of PS3MediaServer yesterday and deleted and reentered my WiFi network settings on the PS3 again but it still wasn't working.

So I would prefer a file based method as streaming seems somewhat temperamental (also makes it hard to take videos to friends places to watch on their PS3s/360s)

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you watching an mkv movie using PS3MediaServer ?

I went through the PMS forum quickly the other day. I vaguely remember someone had a problem with his movies that used to work. There is a simple setting change.

I can't remember anymore, but I think one of the DLNA servers can automatically cache the converted movie on the server. So you can copy that converted movie instead.

EDIT: Oh PMS can't recognize your PS3. Check the server log in PMS for errors.

Gah, I have been struggling to get some foreign language movies with English subtitles on my PS3.

It seems the PS3 only supports subtitles for DivX, DVD and AVCHD files - and DivX doesn't support H264 video meaning I'll have to reencode to the crappier quality DivX codec - all while trying to keep the file under 4GB so it can be easily transferred to and from my PS3 via USB.

Is there any other way to get subtitles to show? (besides burning them into the video)

I don't have any problem using .mp4 + .srt with my ps3, as that's all I use.

Really? Do you have the SRTs embedded in the MP4 or in the same source folder?
And you aren't streaming right?

Also check that it isn't DivX in an mp4 container.

Does anyone know how to get AVCHD files on a USB recognised properly by the PS3? (so that you can select subtitles while playing the video)
Is there a particular folder structure I have to observe?

Does anyone know how to get AVCHD files on a USB recognised properly by the PS3? (so that you can select subtitles while playing the video)

No, I'm not streaming. I just plug a USB drive in and play my .mp4 file. The SRT is in the same folder with the same name as the .mp4 file.

AVCHD subtitle may be embedded in the .mts file

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVCHD

Audio, video, subtitle, and ancillary streams are multiplexed into an MPEG transport stream and stored on media as binary files.

No, I'm not streaming. I just plug a USB drive in and play my .mp4 file. The SRT is in the same folder with the same name as the .mp4 file.

Ok, I have an MP4 with H264+AAC streams and an .srt with the same filename in the root folder of my USB drive and the movie is playing fine but when I go to select subtitles in the player menu, it doesn't find anything?

Do I have to put the files under a particular folder name, like in a VIDEO folder?

I tried making an M2TS file with embedded subs using tsMuxer, but the subtitles still don't display - apparently only works if you burn an AVCHD folder to a DVD or something.

I'm pretty sure PS3 doesn't support MP4's with subtitles (unless its Divx), contrary to what Apoc says I don't seem to find anyone else saying that is possible.

Ok, I have an MP4 with H264+AAC streams and an .srt with the same filename in the root folder of my USB drive and the movie is playing fine but when I go to select subtitles in the player menu, it doesn't find anything?

Do I have to put the files under a particular folder name, like in a VIDEO folder?

No, I just name my video whatever.mp4 and the subtitles whatever.srt. When I play the file i just turn on the subtitles and it's good to go.

Hmph, Is Video Unlimited in the PS Store ? I was under the impression that Video Unlimited is a (purely) streaming service, but the PS Store is a video download service ?

In any case, good news that I can transfer the videos to another device now. Kudos to the studios and Sony.

Is this relaxed policy implemented worldwide or NA only ?

This was one of my worries for the PS4. That the media that I've purchased on the PS3 would be stuck, languishing, on the PS3 with no way to move it.

Nice touch Sony. They really seem to be turning the screw with MS. Now all they need to do is extend the PSN sharing to a system similar to the XBone friends system but without the arbitrary limit imposed.

You can play any games on any PS4 using your account, so the virtual library is there. And PSN already supports game sharing with one console which I guess won't be removed. So I think Sony are the same in that regards (better even if there's a no-limits second-PS4 access to all your games).

There's no limit access to your DD games/media on any 360 if you run the license transfer app. But that'd be for one system at a time, and there may be some limit on the number of times you can run it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back