A comparison of PS3 and 360 as media players

Does anyone know if you can use a VPN to access the American PSN/Live services from another country, including services like Netflix?

It should be possible to use a VPN/(good) proxy to fool XBL/PSN but I haven't tried myself.

Use someone else's money to try ! :runaway:

EDIT: Sony updated Music Unlimited yesterday. You can finally browse and listen to an entire genre of music, like a radio station. Previously, the app only allows you to listen to Top 100 music in any genre, SenseMe selected songs, or create your own playlist and library.

It's possible, but I have no clue how to do it. A friend living in the uk used my usa based webserver for a while in some way to be able to watch american programming that was blocked in the uk. No clue what he did though.

EDIT: Sony updated Music Unlimited yesterday. You can finally browse and listen to an entire genre of music, like a radio station. Previously, the app only allows you to listen to Top 100 music in any genre, SenseMe selected songs, or create your own playlist and library.

Have they added any Korean and Jap music yet?

Nope. I tried to search for "Nobody" by "Wonder Girls".

I think I misunderstood the update. ^_^

The "Browse" feature allows the users to browse the top songs, albums, artists and new songs in each genre. The "radio station" for each genre seems to be there earlier.

I usually play my own selection from their library, or the top 100. Totally forgot about the other options. :oops:

The UltraViolet saga continues...

Wal-Mart to Give Hollywood a Hand
http://online.wsj.com/article_email...49652072048154-lMyQjAxMTAyMDIwNzEyNDcyWj.html

Wal-Mart is in discussions to provide an in-store service that will assist customers in registering DVDs they already own with the movie industry's UltraViolet system, according to several people familiar with the matter.

The UltraViolet system, which has been slow getting off the ground, is a digital "proof of purchase" system that allows a consumer to store movie or TV titles in a free, online personal library. Once a video has been added to the UltraViolet Library it can be streamed over the Web or downloaded for viewing on a computer, TV, or a range of mobile devices.

I approve ! :p

Analyst: Disc-to-Digital Has to be Free for UltraViolet to Work
http://www.homemediamagazine.com/di...sc-digital-has-be-free-ultraviolet-work-26581

BTIG Research analyst Richard Greenfield believes Walmart could be the first retailer to announce a disc-to-digital service. He said studios want consumers to frequent authorized retailers to initiate digital transfers rather than in the home due to concerns multiple users could upload the same disc.

Kevin Tsujihara, president of WHEG, Feb. 29 told an invester group he envisions big-box retailers such as Walmart and Best Buy offering services whereby consumers could bring in their discs and have them transferred seamlessly into digital files stored in the cloud.

Tsujihara said there are about 10 billion movie discs in U.S. households (about 90 to 100 discs), of which he said about 20% are Warner titles when factoring in the studio’s market share in home entertainment.

“If consumers want to steal and share digital versions of movies, that is incredibly easy today without the need for discs,” Greenfield wrote in March 1 post. “Whereas sharing/stealing via disc-to-digital would be far more complicated than a simple Google search.”

Greenfield says studios should enable consumers to transfer discs to digital files for free rather than estimated prices ranging from $1 to $3 per DVD and upwards of $10 to transfer into high-definition.

The analyst said that for UltraViolet to work in a market increasingly shifting toward low-margin rental options such as Redbox kiosks and subscription video-on-demand, consumers need extremely low barriers to entry.

“We believe disc-to-digital needs to be done at home at no cost to the consumer, including a free HD quality upgrade, if UltraViolet is to have any hope of success,” Greenfield wrote.

Separately, he said rollout of UltraViolet has to be accompanied by the price of electronic sellthrough for new movies dropping to $10 with day-and-date theatrical premium VOD priced from $20 to $30.

They solve different problems.

(A) The above image shows that you can borrow a DVD from a library or friend and help yourself to a free copy. ^_^

(B) That author is advocating for a buy-disc-get-digital-for-free service for the entire industry. The experience doesn't have to be clunky.

It may be a long process though. Like how the music industry went from free-form piracy, to FairPlay DRM, and then back to structured, DRM-free services again. (A) and (B) are not mutually exclusive. In their latest move, Apple sidesteps the conversion process by matching pirated and legit digital music into a subscription service.

Stopping at (A) will achieve little since the studios will feel threatened by the "free copy"

We aren't talking about making copies of anything you rent, that's quite a stretch. What we are talking about is making copies of movies you purchased for personal viewing. Which, is exactly what they are trying to do, yet monetize it. The labels will never make it 'free' because the cost to run that service far outweighs the values of operating it.

We already have everything in place that we need to make this happen. The only thing in the way is labels trying to find a way to continue to make people pay multiple times for something they've already purchased. Again, which is assinine and part of the reason we are in the situation we are in.

It may be a long process though. Like how the music industry went from free-form piracy, to FairPlay DRM, and then back to structured, DRM-free services again. (A) and (B) are not mutually exclusive. In their latest move, Apple sidesteps the conversion process by matching pirated and legit digital music into a subscription service.

I think many people regarding music are sidestepping it all and just moving to an all you can eat Zune/Spotify type service which is far simpler to use. I think movies will have to eventually move to a similar type setup one day, because it's just so easy to copy them now and I don't think people will tolerate any of the drm laden schemes the movie industry puts forward partly because they are a pain to use and also because they are never gauranteed to work on all your devices.

We aren't talking about making copies of anything you rent, that's quite a stretch. What we are talking about is making copies of movies you purchased for personal viewing.

That's what you think, but it's not necessarily what's happening in the real world. The studios simply want/needs a better controlled mechanism without losing usability.

I think many people regarding music are sidestepping it all and just moving to an all you can eat Zune/Spotify type service which is far simpler to use. I think movies will have to eventually move to a similar type setup one day, because it's just so easy to copy them now and I don't think people will tolerate any of the drm laden schemes the movie industry puts forward partly because they are a pain to use and also because they are never gauranteed to work on all your devices.

Yap, I subscribe to Music Unlimited. ^_^
Eventually these services have to allow users to download their music more freely instead of slaved to the network, and/or imposing download quota. iTunes Match has its own twist to compensate rights owners, and remain largely transparent to consumers.

For the movie studios, they are still trying to find a way to compensate for the low margin rental business. If the world goes rental completely, they stand to lose a huge chunk of their $$$. For now, Blu-ray works as a stop gap. It solves the margin problem, but is segregated from the rental world. At some point, both need to be together, since we are buying the movie, not the digital format or the disc format. Too bad, NetFlix unbundled their BR and DD offerings. :devilish:

That's what you think, but it's not necessarily what's happening in the real world. The studios simply want/needs a better controlled mechanism without losing usability.

There's already laws in place preventing you from copying movies whether your rent them or not. The service you outlined is not targeted at getting people to purchase digital version of something they rent. It's targeted at getting people to pay for digital copies of something they've already purchased WHICH they could already make copies of if they were allowed to. I'm not following your train of thought on this?

The studios simply want/needs a better controlled mechanism without losing usability = How can we continue to charge people for something they've already purchased.

For the movie studios, they are still trying to find a way to compensate for the low margin rental business. If the world goes rental completely, they stand to lose a huge chunk of their $$$. For now, Blu-ray works as a stop gap. It solves the margin problem, but is segregated from the rental world. At some point, both need to be together, since we are buying the movie, not the digital format or the disc format. Too bad, NetFlix unbundled their BR and DD offerings. :devilish:

The studios have been saying the same thing since the inception of VHS and it's a complete strawman argument. What the studios are facing right now is a 'service' issue. If I can go out and rent a redbox for $1, or get an On Demand version of the same movie for $5.99, which is the consumer going to chose. The studios could solve your so called 'rental' issue by properly pricing their services and delivery methods. If I wouldn't know any better, I'd think your a shill. :)

Back