A comparison of PS3 and 360 as media players

PlayMemories Studio may be another one (or an upgraded PlayMemories app) for editing videos, which also allows upload to FaceBook (?).

8^O

It looks like PlayMemories may end up being the unified system. I'm guessing it will also either replace or integrate with Personal Media Browser, the software that comes with Sony's digital cameras, which I think would be useful. If they can get the software on all important platforms, including Vita and PS3, that would be a big step forwards for them.

From the CES presentation I was getting the impression that they are starting to properly see their 300 million connected devices as a platform, which albeit perhaps babysteps, is nevertheless important. ;)

It looks like PlayMemories may end up being the unified system. I'm guessing it will also either replace or integrate with Personal Media Browser, the software that comes with Sony's digital cameras, which I think would be useful. If they can get the software on all important platforms, including Vita and PS3, that would be a big step forwards for them.

Perhaps ! [size=-2]Hard to say with Sony. :p[/size]

From the CES presentation I was getting the impression that they are starting to properly see their 300 million connected devices as a platform, which albeit perhaps babysteps, is nevertheless important. ;)

Yes, it's still very very early and crude. They need to get to the stage where the user experience is compelling (See Google+, Facebook Timeline), the management features are sophisticated (e.g., good photo search mechanism), and viral (!).

At this point, it seems that ingest is PS3's strength since it can import high digital camera specs. The other goodies are all scattered in XMB Photo Gallery, Filmy, PS Home, playstation.com. Still a long, long way to go !

And oh please, make RemotePlay open, available to more devices.

Amazon, Rovi, Flixster and Samsung highlight UltraViolet's CES press event
http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/10/amazon-rovi-flixster-and-samsung-highlight-ultraviolets-ces-p/

The launch of UltraViolet earlier this year was very much the same as we've come to expect from Hollywood. In the case of DVD and Blu-ray, they eventually manage to get it right. Time will tell if UltraViolet ends up successful or another DRM story like PlaysForSure, but studio execs like Ron Sanders of Warner Brothers said "a year ago this was just a concept... we have a bright future" while participating in a panel at the UltraViolet press event at CES today. There are plenty of reasons he might feel that way, but announcements from Panasonic and Samsung to add Flixster app to its HDTVs and Blu-ray players is surely one of them -- Flixster is owned by Warner and evidently one of the most downloaded apps of all time from the iTunes store. In addition to the success of Flixster, the DECE claims to already have 750k UltraViolet households signed up in less than three months.

PlayStation Network Launches New College Sports Applications
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012...ork-launches-new-college-sports-applications/

Through the XOS College Sports and SEC Digital Network applications, PS3 users now have access to a customizable college sports platform to stream current and classic content on-demand, and make the PS3 the first and only gaming console to offer these applications. The new applications give fans multi-sport, multi-conference access to full games and historic documentaries along with the ability to play, pause and replay your favorite moments from some of the most watched games in history.

Additional features of the XOS Digital college sports apps for the PS3 include:
* Pre-game analysis from the XOS Digital Studio during the week
* Post-game highlights immediately after the game as well as a “Game of the Week” extended highlight
* Full games are available to purchase and watch the next day
* Classic games and documentaries dating back to the 1950’s
* Free daily programming including “SEC Today,” “SEC In The Paint,” “Game Day Central,” and weekly coaches teleconferences

If this is accurate, you may be able to edit AVCHD videos on PS3 soon:
http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/08/PlayMemories-studio-ps3-video-editor-leaked-at-CES/

The current PlayMemories app handles panoramic photos, 3D photos, and multi-angle photos on digital cameras. PlayMemories Studio seems to add video viewing and editing capabilities.

Sony should really add RemotePlay support to apps so that people can use them on PC/Mac, tablets, etc.

I doubt people will edit videos using DS3 in the living room.

I'm pretty sure the current video editing app on the PS3 lets you edit AVCHD, but it only outputs a down converted file.

I've used it a few times for uplaoads to Youtube.

I would be very happy if the PS3 was a capable AVCHD editor.

Did Jeff_rigby got himself banned ?

He says PlayMemories supports Calendar/Timeline navigation, and adds Filmy's Globe navigation. If true, it sounds like Sony is trying to consolidate its home media software.

I'm pretty sure the current video editing app on the PS3 lets you edit AVCHD, but it only outputs a down converted file.

I've used it a few times for uplaoads to Youtube.

I would be very happy if the PS3 was a capable AVCHD editor.

What kind of editing ? I always thought XMB video editor is for recorded PS3 game footage.

My main qualms is with the DS3 input for such an app. The editing feature is good for games like LBP too. A mouse-n-keyboard or touch input would make the app more accessible. Can't wait to try it on a RemotePlay device.

EDIT: If they want to go in this direction, I think it makes sense to turn PS3 into a DLNA server as well, or a file server.

New Blu-Ray discs offering four times hi-def due out in 2013 - but you'll need a new player AND a new TV
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...offering-times-hi-def-2013.html#ixzz1jAtELm5i

'We're expecting the arrival of 4K Blu-rays in 2013,' said John Taylor, LG's Vice President of Communications told website Pocket-Lint.

The discs could be on the market as early as 2013. LG, Toshiba and others have televisions capable of Ultra HD.

Sony is rumoured to be in talks with film studos to finalise a specification for 4K Blu-Rays.

Many films are already shot using 4K cameras. David Fincher's The Social Network was shot and screened in 4K, and an increasing number of cinema films use the format.

Some players and TVs shown in CES 2012 can already upscale 1080p content to 4K.

Pioneer got it up to 500Gb by using 20 layers:
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=1616

About a month ago, Pioneer announced that they had developed a 400GB Blu-ray Disc. Not satisfied that they had exhausted all avenues, they continued developed and found a way to add four additional layers, bringing the total disc capacity to 500GB. As with the 400GB version, the disc is compatible with current Blu-ray drives found in computers, players, and recorders.

Professional Blu-ray format is BDXL. 100Gb/128Gb (3/4 layers). Buffalo, Pioneer sell 4x writers. It's incompatible with standard Blu-ray format. Some manufacturers, like Mitsubishi, sell combo BR/BRXL players.

Good god I had no idea blu-ray had been up-speced that far! They could put the entire James Bond movie series on one disc. I wish they had blu-ray blanks of that size for business use, although burning them would probably take all day.

But I could get an entire server image burned on one which would make it worth it.

But I could get an entire server image burned on one which would make it worth it.

Yeah I'd buy one as well if the price were right, I prefer having both magnetic and optical backups of everything at the bank. 25gb blurays are a bit restrictive but I'm managing with them for now.

Professional Blu-ray format is BDXL. 100Gb/128Gb (3/4 layers). Buffalo, Pioneer sell 4x writers. It's incompatible with standard Blu-ray format. Some manufacturers, like Mitsubishi, sell combo BR/BRXL players.

Just checked for those, the burners are cheap but the media are $90 each :( Given that I already have a 100 reel of 25gb blurays ar around $1 each, I think I'll just manage with those.

Last edited by a moderator:
If your needs are smaller, you don't need BDXL. e.g., 25Gb is not big enough to fit my Windows VM image. 50Gb is good for me, but a 4K movie that is being authored may need BDXL.

For day-to-day use, I remember organic dye Blu-ray (BR LTH) is cheaper but requires update to player firmware (PS3 firmware was updated in 2008 to read LTH). From what I hear, it may not last as long as the original Blu-ray discs.

A BDXL disc should cost about $50 - 100+ now.

What kind of editing ? I always thought XMB video editor is for recorded PS3 game footage.

No the XMB Video editor will take all the same formats that PS3 can decode, I have used MPEG2 and AVCHD loaded onto PS3 HDD from MS.

I have only edited single clips, trims to beginnings and ends. You can add simple titles and you can add music.

But the output is heavily down converted as it is aimed at uploading to Youtube.

I expect you can cut two clips together, but I'm not sure.

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/video/videoupload.html

Just checked the online manual, yep you can add multiple clips together, but background music is precanned selection. Max duration 1hr. 200 text items

For reference here is a Youtube clip I edited on PS3 and uploaded from my AVCHD camcorder, when I say edited I mean trimmed the beginning and end!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgp-QuUmJWU

Last edited by a moderator:
Back