A comparison of PS3 and 360 as media players

Why won't a simple controller re-assignment work? From the sounds of it, the PS3 picks up the USB receiver and assigns it controller port 1 (the only port some games will recognize for input). USB devices get priority with controller assignments on the PS3 at boot up for some reason (faster recognition, maybe). However, the PS button should still work on any BT controller (which will get assigned to controller 2). Pressing the PS Button on the BT controller should bring up the XMB. From which you can go to Settings and then change the controler number to 1. Conversly, holding the PS button on the BT controller will bring up the original in-game menu, which makes controller re-assignment even faster. All without exiting the game or restarting the PS3.

Your method sounds like what I have to do on the 360 to change controler assignments when I have a USB controller connected. :devilish:

I would have thought so too - but when doing this my controller seems to be picked up as controller one as is, but it doesn't do anything once some games are launched while the USB receiver is in. It's not all games (NG Sigma is one, for example, plus some PSN games of what I've tried) but it's annoying enough to make me leave the USB key out of the PS3 unless I specifically intend to watch a movie.

I would have thought so too - but when doing this my controller seems to be picked up as controller one as is, but it doesn't do anything once some games are launched while the USB receiver is in. It's not all games (NG Sigma is one, for example, plus some PSN games of what I've tried) but it's annoying enough to make me leave the USB key out of the PS3 unless I specifically intend to watch a movie.

Oh, I see. I don't think I've ever encountered that before.

I believe the Buzz! controller has similar issue (if left plugged in over a reboot) but you can reassign the controller number by pressing the "Playstation" button. The same should be true of the Rock Band peripherals.

It seems that the Nyko controller doesn't recognize the "Playstation" button ? (Did I understand it correctly)

Yep that's right. Bit of a bummer... wish the actual Logitech peripheral didn't cost an arm and a leg, although it would be even nicer of Sony to release a cheap RF peripheral that worked with any generic universal remote.

The PS3 Slim sidesteps the issue with HDMI-CEC. You can use your existing IR-based TV/universal remote.

For older PS3, an IR-to-Bluetooth adaptor is probably a better solution than IR-to-USB. The link I posted includes more options. Don't know if they are cheaper in Australia.

How can I check if my Bravia supports this? I've not seen an option on my TV for it... tt's not hugely old (2 years or so) so I'm not buying a new TV to turn on my PS3.

According to wiki, it is marketed as Bravia Sync for Sony. See if your unit supports it.

For those that havent used Bravia sync.... it actually works quite well if you have a Slim. I'd go so far to say that it would eliminate the need for a universal remote if all your devices are compatible.

For those that havent used Bravia sync.... it actually works quite well if you have a Slim. I'd go so far to say that it would eliminate the need for a universal remote if all your devices are compatible.

It's one of those things I wish they'd standardize, since Samsung has a similar functionality.

It is standardized and everyone is starting to implement it. What is different is their branding of the feature. It may be named differently, but it's the same spec.

HDMI-CEC

Consumer Electronics Control (CEC) wiring is mandatory, although implementation of CEC in a product is optional. CEC is a one-wire bidirectional serial bus that uses the industry-standard AV Link protocol to perform remote control functions. It was defined in HDMI Specification 1.0 and updated in HDMI 1.2, HDMI 1.2a, and HDMI 1.3a (which added timer and audio commands to the bus). The feature is designed to allow the user to command and control multiple CEC-enabled boxes with one remote control and for individual CEC-enabled devices to command and control each other without user intervention.

Trade names for CEC are Anynet (Samsung); Aquos Link (Sharp); BRAVIA Sync (Sony); HDMI-CEC (Hitachi); Kuro Link (Pioneer); CE-Link and Regza Link (Toshiba); RIHD (Remote Interactive over HDMI) (Onkyo); SimpLink (LG); HDAVI Control, EZ-Sync, and VIERA Link (Panasonic); EasyLink (Philips); and NetCommand for HDMI (Mitsubishi)

I actually own a harmony one remote, and bravia sync performs better since it only relies on infrared for the initial command(s). Also, using the native remotes are much faster than a 3rd party remote. Bravia sync is definitely a good alternative to buying a 3rd party remote if you dont need all kinds of macros or customizations.

It's neat how you turn on PS3 and it will change to the correct input. When you turn off the PS3, the input will be changed back to what it was originally. Turn off the TV and PS3 will shut down too.

If you do need all kinds of macros or customizations, I highly recommend delving into the realm of JP1. Pick up a good JP1.3 remote and a programming cable then almost anything is possible. For additional information, checkout this JP1 Remotes site.

Yes, it's a standard like people have pointed out above. But there're standard standards, and not-so-standard standards. HDMI-CEC seems to belong to the first group (Cheers !).
It's supposed to trigger group/chain of commands linking different CE devices. Glad it works out for people.

Final 3-D Blu-ray Specification Announced:
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=3924

The Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) today announced the finalization and release of the “Blu-ray 3D™” specification.
The specification is also designed to allow the PS3 to play back Blu-ray 3D content in 3-D.

The Blu-ray 3D specification calls for encoding 3-D video using the Multiview Video Coding (MVC) codec, an extension to the ITU-T H.264 Advanced Video Coding (AVC) codec currently supported by all Blu-ray Disc players. MPEG4-MVC compresses both left and right eye views with a typical 50% overhead compared to equivalent 2-D content, and can provide full 1080p resolution backward compatibility with current 2-D Blu-ray Disc players. The specification also incorporates enhanced graphic features for 3-D. These features provide a new experience for users, enabling navigation using 3-D graphic menus and displaying 3-D subtitles positioned in 3-D video.

Back