Factor 5 has apparently closed down

Absolutely. It's a credit to their technical skills that their Star Wars games, released as early as their were on the GCN, remain as some of the best looking ones on that platform.

Given the effort by other devs on the GC I think that is also a big part of it.

F5's SW games on GC were technially amazing. The gameplay wasn't bad either. They could've made a great 3D shooter using their game engine without the SW branding and it would still be a great shooter. Their game engine would've been great for games like Armored Core which never came to the GC.

I guess I'll have to wait for another Nintendo in-house title to see any eye-candy from this system. I just wish F5 would at least re-package RL & RS together, cut most of the ground missions, improve the fidelity a little and put a little plastic Wii-mote add-on that makes the thing look like an Atari Star Wars Arcade yoke... (allow for traditional GC controls as well) I'd buy that in heart beat...
Yeah, I wonder what they have next. Zelda could be interesting...

I'm quite impressed at the efforts of High Voltage Software and Deep Silver so far.
I might be wrong, but turning an in-house piece of code used on a 2-3 fairly similar games into a full-on engine/middleware aimed at developers with no familiarity with your code isn't a piece of cake.
True, and those engines were put together very quickly. If they had used the graphical philosophy of The RS titles and made a well developed set of tools however, it could have been something quite special :)

Factor 5 prediction vidicated...

I guess I'll have to wait for another Nintendo in-house title to see any eye-candy from this system. I just wish F5 would at least re-package RL & RS together, cut most of the ground missions, improve the fidelity a little and put a little plastic Wii-mote add-on that makes the thing look like an Atari Star Wars Arcade yoke... (allow for traditional GC controls as well) I'd buy that in heart beat...

Looks like something like this may have been in the works...

http://kotaku.com/5293867/ex+factor-5-employees-cry-fraud

:cry:

I will keep praying that this comes true... (not sure how the prayers of an agnostic pan out...)

When I was leaving E3 on the second or 3rd day, I saw Julian Eggebrecht walking towards the convention center. That's one person I wasn't expecting to see this year.

Does anyone know if the source code would be kept as "evidence" in this trial (thereby preventing it from being used to create a product)? I also hope Mr Eggebrecht and Co are not the main brains behind the engine I would hate to see that kind of talent waste away in prison... Does anyone know if Thomas Engel is part of this scandal?...

Last edited by a moderator:
Lair 2?

Ugh. I wanted a Lair 2.

Fallguy, the lack of an emoticon makes me wonder about the sincerity of this comment :LOL: . I suspect that a small percentage of the Lair audience actually liked some of the implied potential of this type of game and would've wanted a more polished version... I have no way to frame what degree of developement skill F5 had regarding PS3 but the game looked kinda ugly all things considered. The whole ordeal just leaves me wondering if F5 had gotten an inflated sense of themselves due to their accolades for Gamecube development and simply presumed they could handle any kind of development environment no matter how byzantine. I will simply say that Rouge Squadron II and III were very close to my dream of a perfect 3rd person space shooter. If the remnants of F5 never emerge to produce another one I hope someone takes up the task of making a great looking 3rd person space shooter (the new Warhawk looked like it had the potential 'till they turned it into Battlefield 1942 :cry: )...

There was no sarcasm, I really liked the game. Ive said so many times. People crying about not being able to control in the game, make me laugh. You suck at gaming if you cant control the dragons in Lair.

I can't really comment as I haven't played it... I just felt the appearance was underwhelming in proportion to how well Rouge Squadron II looked... I know that the MS Sidewinder motion controlled Rouge Squadron (PC Version) had a loose, sloppy feel... I never held out hope for the PS3 motion controller in general as it reminded me of the Sidewinder... I would have to play the thing to see if the accuracy has improved since those days... I won't fault you for liking the game, although others might... I'm just mad that it contributed to the demise of Factor 5...

Uh, it was finished. As far as bugs go, every game has them. Lair didnt have any more than the average game. Im sorry that you suck too much, and cant control the dragons. Maybe you should go back to the Wii. :eek:

/done

It's been a while since I last played Lair. If you check my post history, you can see that I liked the game too but there are a few glaring holes. I remember the quality kinda degraded towards the end.

* It gave me the impression that a few segments are "duct taped" together with little testing. e.g., In the bombing run mission, the first cut scene wasn't synced properly. It appeared abruptly in my playthrough when I wasn't "there" yet. After the cutscene, i was teleported to the cutscene location. The fall animation for dropping an enemy from mid-air was also rather intrusive.

* Would be helpful if it had some sort of indicator to show the number of enemies left and where they were. Very often I died because I missed out one or two enemy in some obscure location. The dragon sight was useful but it's tiring because the play area was huge.

I liked the game for the flight system. I think it played well with SIXAXIS. But I also think that Flower's flight control is even better (because it allows fine-grained control using the analog stick at the same time).

I also liked the giant monster battles. The sea serpent one was somewhat confusing but at least it's different from other combat games. The music was great too. I loved the piece for the night attack.

Back