Headphones that work with the 360 Microphone Port

Acert93

Artist formerly known as Acert93
Legend
There are a number of pricy headphones for the 360 that support the microphone. Turtle Beach and others make these (5.1 at that). Being cheap I am looking for a cheap solution :p I thought about hacking a 360 headset to some headphones (lol) but maybe someone has found a workable cheap product or found a way (adapter?) to use a PC stereo headphones with mic on the 360? Anyone have some luck with this?

have not found one for the port and (as you know) am in the same boat as far as headphones with communications needs.

I have had my eye on these for a while but have yet to pull the trigger as I just use my sony HP with no mic.

one other option is a standard set of HP, set the 360 to output Voice to speakers and wrap your 360 headset around your neck to speak through the mic. Not elegant nor effective if the sounds in game over ride the voice but it does work in a pinch.

There are a number of pricy headphones for the 360 that support the microphone. Turtle Beach and others make these (5.1 at that). Being cheap I am looking for a cheap solution :p I thought about hacking a 360 headset to some headphones (lol) but maybe someone has found a workable cheap product or found a way (adapter?) to use a PC stereo headphones with mic on the 360? Anyone have some luck with this?

The only thing about the Xbox 360 headset is that it uses a 2.5mm headset jack that almost all cell phones use. But it has additional connectors that support inline volume & mute or the chatpad. So you if you really want to go cheap then get a cheap 2.5mm headset & this...

Datel Headset Adapter

31%2BVZvMkcIL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Head..._1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1229956885&sr=8-1

I decided to go another direction. I wanted the Turtle Beach Ear Force X1 headphones, but THEY DO NOT WORK WITH THE CHATPAD. :D The only option I could find(cheap or otherwise) were these...

5106d254ec31c8e35ee75342ea9da93d.image.320x320.jpg

http://www.skullcandy.com/shop/lowriders-for-xbox-360-p-95.html

I originally bought this at my local Target for $55. I posted a review of them on Amazon, but will just post it here...

AzBat said:
Nice alternative
4 out of 5 stars

I originally considered the Turtle Beach Ear Force X1 headphones. That was until I found out that the plug that connects to the controller will not work with the Messenger Chatpad. The Skullcandy headphones were basically the only ones I could find that would work. They're standard 3.5mm stereo headphones with a 2.5mm microphone plug. The package does not include installation instructions, but if you look on Skullcandy[...] they have them. Basically you connect headphone jack to the included extension cable. This cable has the red & white RCA connector that plugs into the back of the TV and also has the plug that accepts the same cables from the Xbox. This allows the game & chat audio to be sent to the headphones when its connected, but works normal when the 3.5mm plug is disconnected. Next, plug the microphone cable into the controller or chatpad if connected. The microphone does not output through the headset unless you have the Xbox Guide personal settings selected to "Output Through Speakers(or Both)". A couple of drawbacks include: 1) no mic mute switch, but it does include an in-line volume knob 2) It doesn't seem to amplify the audio directly from TV/Xbox. So it might not get loud enough for some if you don't own surround sound receiver. 3) It might hurt your ears after long periods of use if you happen to have a larger than normal head. ;) Other than those few minor issues, they work as advertise and cost about the same Turtle Beach ones. I like them, but if hadn't been for the lack of Chatpad support, I might have bought them instead. Send me a message on Live if you want to hear how they sound or need more details.

Hopefully this helps.

Tommy McClain

Does anyone know of a good microphone that I can clip onto a regular headphones to create my own headset? I'd want to use it with the 360, so a 2.5mm connector would be ideal.

I've got a good pair of Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro headphones, but they're 250 Ohm, so I have to drive them from my amplifier. I'm moving into an apartment, so it would be nice to be able to clip a microphone onto them and get some high-end sound without disturbing the neighbours. It's much more ideal than buying a whole new headset setup, since these headphones are better quality audio than any gaming headset I'd find. Even if I could clip the microphone onto my shirt, that would be fine.

Does anyone know of a good microphone that I can clip onto a regular headphones to create my own headset? I'd want to use it with the 360, so a 2.5mm connector would be ideal.

I've got a good pair of Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro headphones, but they're 250 Ohm, so I have to drive them from my amplifier. I'm moving into an apartment, so it would be nice to be able to clip a microphone onto them and get some high-end sound without disturbing the neighbours. It's much more ideal than buying a whole new headset setup, since these headphones are better quality audio than any gaming headset I'd find. Even if I could clip the microphone onto my shirt, that would be fine.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Throat Communicator for Xbox 360?

415GroSeKQL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Mod...3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1278216594&sr=8-3

About the only thing I could think of. Everything else has headphones.

Tommy McClain

Ha ha ha, as if they made a throat communicator?! Some kids are sitting at home thinking they're real paramilitary badasses right now, while that couldn't be further from the truth.

Ha ha ha, as if they made a throat communicator?! Some kids are sitting at home thinking they're real paramilitary badasses right now, while that couldn't be further from the truth.

Hey, you asked & that's what I found. ;)

Tommy McClain

Hey, you asked & that's what I found. ;)

Tommy McClain

Yeah. I'm really amazed that no one has come up with a microphone for use with standard headphones. A lot of people have good headphones, already, so why not sell a mic for the 360?

Agreed. All I found where headset adapters that would let you use standard 2.5mm headsets used by most cell phones. Evidently the connector on it is not exactly compatible. Good luck finding something! :)

Tommy McClain

Yeah, I'm trying to find a 2.5mm headset with a mic, that maybe I can DIY into something I can clip onto my headphones.

I found this, which is amazingly the same thing as what I want to do!

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1096815

This guy has Beyerdynamic DT770s, and I'd need to find a headset with a detachable mic like that. That's an old post, so I imagine that headset isn't around anymore.

Better, yet, I'm going to mangle one of my old 360 headsets that has a somewhat worn out switch. If I figure out a nice way to mod it, I'll do it to one with a good switch ;)

I know you guys are seeking a cheap solution:
But I invested in this Sharkoon X 5.1 head set which is compatible to the Xbox360 and PS3...great sound with flawless mic support!
It is expensive, but it works flawless IMO.

I know you guys are seeking a cheap solution:
But I invested in this Sharkoon X 5.1 head set which is compatible to the Xbox360 and PS3...great sound with flawless mic support!
It is expensive, but it works flawless IMO.

do you know if these work with the chat pad installed on 360?
thanks

do you know if these work with the chat pad installed on 360?
thanks

According to this site...

http://www.sharkoon.com/html/produkte/headsets/x-tatic_digital/index_en.html

It uses this...

Sounds like it would work with the chatpad. That was one of the problems I always had with some of the headsets I was looking at.

Tommy McClain

I don't know the chat pad, so I cannot be 100% sure.
But it is true that it uses a simple cable, which you plug in in the head set and then plug it into the standard Xbox360 controller jack...so it should work!?

Back