MLB '09: The Show

Maybe because there aren't many baseball fans here? There seems to be a relatively low amount of sports fans here. I love sports in general, and I like baseball, but I suck at baseball games. I was really impressed with the demo though.

I am considering buying a strategy book for the game. I have never bought one for any game before. Will have to check it out this time.

I am not a baseball fan too, but I bought it. :)
Now trying to learn baseball.

EDIT: Okay, I finished one game. It's not as difficult as I thought. The user interface is sleek, functional and simple to use (Thank God !). Rookie difficulty limits gameplay to timing only (instead of timing and guessing pitch location for example). It's tricky to lock down the timing though. My kid has higher batting rate than me.

The harder part is pitching. Still confused. @_@

There are several modes in this game too (Manager mode, Road to the Show, Quick game, Exhibition, etc.). No idea what they are, and how to play yet.

I finally picked this game up, after having played the demo for almost a solid month.

I said it before, I'll say it again, good Lord this game looks good. I admit, I've a fetish for sharp looking games that run above 30 fps, but I find the overall look of The Show to be more stunning than Re5 and KZ2. For those with FullHD television, this is the definitive 1080/60 experience on consoles.
But that's not even the half of it, I dont play sports games at all, yet I'm getting sucked in by the gameplay (particularly pitching) simply because of how well its presented. I still cant bat worth a damn, however.

New patch available: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=15628341&postcount=1335

MLB 09 The Show PS3: Patch 2 Addressed Issues

General:

* AL and NL West (including Cubs) schedule addresses. Day games updated to correct time zone.
* Addressed CPU Pitcher Energy from always full when pressing the quick menu while batting.
* Fixed the issue when in the bullpen moving from last pitcher (closer) to top pitcher, the top pitcher's stats stay the same as the closer.
* Inning pitched count corrected for pitchers during spring training. This is in ALL SEASON Modes.
* Fixed AUTO BASERUNNING. Users should no longer be able to control steels for you or CPU using L1 and L2 in any game at any time.
* Fixed the Movie Recording feature in both Replay and Replay Vault. Users should no longer get stuck after multiple recordings.
* Players names not being called correctly in the audio. One specific item was Beltran being called Delgado and vice versa. This line used to be erroneously said for Juan Rivera. It has now been corrected to play for Casey Kotchman. This line used to be erroneously said for David Ortiz. This line used to be erroneously said for Miguel Cabrera. It has now been "disabled".
* Career stats after going online and using weekly online Live Rosters or using the Online Roster Vault should now be correct.
* Fixed issues with unbalanced trades when the rosters were full. 3 for 1 trades that will result in people being placed on waivers should now function.
* Fix the problem in RTTS as the pitcher when a baserunner from 1st steals, the camera would sometimes swing around thru the crowd.
* Fix switch hitter sub presentations using the wrong helmet sometimes.
* Fix RTTS CP never getting a goal before the 1st pitch
* Fix the Batter Training camera automatically being set to Catcher Cam.
* Fix the Flashback Presentation X out problem.

Franchise Bugs

1.Fixed September 14 Road to the Show season lock.
2.Scouted players should now have feedback at the time of the amateur draft in June.
3.Fixed CPU roster control and lineup issue where users turn cpu roster control on, set a lineup, but lineup changes do not hold.
4.Fixed a bug where the user controlled team would not receive compensation picks when they lose Type A and B freeagents.
5.Fixed bug not allowing farm directors to be hired or fired. Just load into a franchise and fire a farm director during the off-season.
6.Addressed a problem where the title loses simulating functionality in franchise mode when addressing online requests.

Online:
1.Addressed Free Agents in the Online league Live draft. They should now be placed on teams through Roster Update are usable on user’s teams. (Guys like Manny Ramirez or Adam Dunn should now be available.)
2.Fixed Message Board bug that result in no messages being shown after changing full pages.
3.Reduced online game bandwidth usage.
4.Made minor change to the League create screen to Randomize the Draft time to various 30 minute increments from 12noon from 8pm.
An attempt to fix in-game disconnect issues in the production community. This is in an effort to stop the dreaded traffic delay problem the the community is reporting.

You don't suppose they'll release this game outside of the US, right?
I was kinda looking forward to being able to play a baseball game, but I haven't seen it anywhere in stores here.

http://www.examiner.com/x-6894-SF-C...how-is-the-best-baseball-game-Ive-ever-played

During the Major Nelson Podcast Show #323, Aaron Greenberg openly stated that he owns a Playstation 3. So what is his favorite game on the system? He said the following on the podcast:
“I’ll give a shout out to MLB 09: The Show (sic). I love that…best baseball game I’ve ever played.”

Every time I see the MLB 2009 game casing, I felt a little tug to put it into the PS3. Too bad it's too difficult for me (I can't understand what's going on :D). I can't hit for sh*t. Pitching is easier.

Hey Sony, make it noob friendly by using your new motion tech (You guys are probably doing it as we speak).

Finally saw a really detailed post on how MLB 2009 pitching and batting works:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=16648260&postcount=1438

MLB 09: The Show has been dubbed the "Most realistic baseball game ever" by
it's publishers, SCEA. It may be just that, and in my personal opinion,
it is. Unfortunately, because of the game's realistic nature, it is
very difficult to get the hang of. With it's simple controls, however,
it fits the cliche of "Easy to learn, difficult to master" quite well.
The point of this guide is to help people master this game. I will be
going into the four major aspects of baseball(Hitting, Pitching,
Fielding, and Base Running), and even a very controversial one.(This
whole "CPU comeback" thing). First up: Hitting.

Hah, just want to say a friend came to my office 5 minutes ago, and taught me how to play MLB 2009 ^_^
I didn't even know he has a PS3 all this time. [Smack forehead]

I finally know how batting and pitching work in the game now (Contrary to what I thought, pitching is the more tricky one). It's not straightforward and the manual is useless (Phhpfff !). They definitely need to incorporate the new controller in this game.

New stadium for MLB '10 The Show:
http://kotaku.com/5383836/re+creating-a-stadium-before-its-first-pitch-is-thrown

A new stadium takes up roughly 60 megabytes of space on a game disc, but building one takes nearly four months of work, according to Shawn Robles, the lead environment artist, and Jody Kelsey, the senior producer, for Sony's MLB The Show franchise.

Only, MLB 10 The Show must arrive in March, more than a month before the first pitch is thrown in real-life Minneapolis. [The new stadium]

"There's lots of different material that we use when we build our stadiums," Kelsey and Robles said by email. "We always look to obtain blueprints from the MLB team, but we do plenty of research on our own using video from games played at the ballparks, along with going to the ballparks to take detailed photographs.

Instead of taking that time on building stadia, they need to work on the networking stack.

They apparently do not have a game that's playable online.

MLB The Show 2010 announcement:
http://www.gaming-age.com/cgi-bin/previews/preview.pl?sys=ps3&game=mlb10

This year fans can also expect some great new features including: Home Run Derby, Catcher Mode (play as the field general just like Joe Mauer), new pitching and fielding practice/training modes in Road to The Show, user controlled pick-offs, Movie Maker feature (make your own highlight reel), daytime transitional lighting, 11 new stadiums, improved online experience, and much more.

I think based on forum posts, people are looking forward to:
* Better online performance
* Using new motion controller to simplify the gameplay and make it more immersive

I wonder if 3D TV will improve or screw up the gameplay.

Well, haven't they been promising improvements -- or sounds more like fixing it as I hear online is unplayable in previous versions -- for years?

People were saying they can't even play it online at all and they haven't bothered to patch it.

So did they hire some engineers who know how to write networking code that works?

I was digging for new controller info but found this official survey on MLB The Show's online features @ Sports Operation:
http://www.operationsports.com/forums/scea-sports-mlb-09-feedback-forum/305150-online-feedback.html

Might want to scan through it quickly to see what was communicated to the dev team.

EDIT: ESPN has a preview on the game:
http://sports.espn.go.com/videogames/news/story?id=4749938

1. The online priority

"MLB 09" was one of the best offline sports games of the year. But take the game online and it's virtually unplayable because of the constant lag that throws off the timing of every move, making even little things like check swings seem impossible. "We're fully aware of the complaints," Cutliff admits, "but we've made online playability a priority area for us this year to make sure the timing of everything from the release points to the swings and check swings finally look and feel right. The online game will be going through much more extensive testing than we've ever put it through before."

... [other online and offline enhancements]

Back