Windows 7

Thanks, I'll try that. But I'll have to send a request, so it might take a while.

You should get the e mail instantly, make sure you choose to show all versions of the hotfix though if you're using a x64 version of Windows 7 since by default it will show the 32 bit version if you're using a 32 bit browser.

Prices on computer parts are notoriously tight, you know. as in, even in Taïwan prices are barely cheaper than on european web sites.

I will get back to uni and get mdsnaa then.
last time I checked the "No, I don't want msdnaa" box :LOL: when given some paper form on one of the first days.

I wonder if it's possible to get a Server 2008 license with terminal server licenses that way. I would like a multi-user windows, so my desktop can be used from any part of the house using any kind of hardware.

(I have a slow as molasses, single user VNC server installed on XP. it sucks. let me login with rdesktop!)

I got server 2008 in my list so I think you can. I don't have a clue what kind of rules there are for the program so maybe it will also depend on the college/uni.

Also, why don't you use the xp multiuser hack? I use it for my htpc/server too and it has served me perfectly for over 2 years ;) I always have my mediaportal user logged on because it is hooked up to the tv and I can login with remote desktop when I need to config something or whatever with a different user.

There was a XP Home to Pro conversion published by c't magazine - maybe that helps?
Windows 7 is nice since all but one application (SMAC) run fine in a limited user account for me, while in XP it was hell to try that.

Btw, does anybody knows if msdnaa accounts are something you get for a life time?
You're licensed for life for any software obtained while you're properly registered at the institution having granted the account. Software obtained after that is more or less just a convenient unlicensed copy that won't get caught by WGA. (Licence.)

I wonder if it's possible to get a Server 2008 license with terminal server licenses that way. I would like a multi-user windows, so my desktop can be used from any part of the house using any kind of hardware.

Don't need server for that. At most you just need a windows version that allows it to host remote desktop sessions. For XP that would be XP Pro. For Win7 that would be Pro also. For Vista it was a bit more complicated. OEM version of Win7 pro is about the the price of 2.5 games. :)

You could also opt for Windows Home Server which is only about 99 USD. But similar to Server, you'd have to change a lot of settings to get it to things you're used to with the consumer version of Windows.

Regards,
SB

Haha so much for me thinking 4GB was more than I'll ever need. I got a pop-up today telling me I was running out of memory and to close L4D2. I was also encoding a movie in the background and Firefox was open.

Edit: Nevermind I think the encoding software went crazy with using up more memory than it should have due to it freezing a couple times and a bunch of duplicate icons in the system tray.

Last edited by a moderator:
I run pro. yes, I guess I should use the built-in feature, it's actually a Terminal Server with a one user limit :).

I do change settings so it looks more like windows 2000 pro or Server 2003, so I'm fine with that.

I got server 2008 in my list so I think you can. I don't have a clue what kind of rules there are for the program so maybe it will also depend on the college/uni.

Also, why don't you use the xp multiuser hack? I use it for my htpc/server too and it has served me perfectly for over 2 years ;) I always have my mediaportal user logged on because it is hooked up to the tv and I can login with remote desktop when I need to config something or whatever with a different user.

I shall report you to the Microsoft authorities so they decide on what duration of forced labour in Alaska is appropriate. but thanks for the tip.
anyway I've got a lightweight ubuntu in a virtualbox, with sshd and access to my data partition. so I can remote use my PC already for a number of tasks.

Last edited by a moderator:
A co-renter bought a new laptop, and the unboxing was pleasantly trouble-free.
It's an Acer with windows 7. the hardware looks much better than the semi-junk you would expect, nice keyboard and display.

On startup there was a confusing choice with three options, regarding windows updates and security. we chose the middle one. Then we get a desktop with a decent dark blue wallpaper, and not much nagging software. The 60-day McAfee asked whether we wanted to use it!
When we installed Free AVG (from my windows share) windows then asked to uninstall McAfee, which we did. There's a desktop icon for MS Office trial-ware, but nothing in your face.

the OS is responsive, and its looks are coherent with how the laptop looks. the only annoyance is you need to find four CD-R to burn recovery media.
It has come a long way since the days formatting and installing a warez 98 or XP was easier.

For Windows7 I tried an anti-virus application again, and I find Avast5 to be quite good.
Also the colour calibration is cool. :)

For Windows7 I tried an anti-virus application again, and I find Avast5 to be quite good.
Also the colour calibration is cool. :)
Try MSE it's very good. It's one of only two Microsoft products I'm a fan of. The other being their MCE remote.

Yeah, I've been trying MSE on one machine and it's not bad. It even notifies you if a website has saved a "questionable" file to your internet cache and prompts to delete it.

I still find it slightly disconcerting that I don't get definition update notices periodically like I do with Avast and AVG. I'm assuming that's all done silently in the background.

Right now MSE and Avast are probably my top 2 for free AV software. AVG seems to have gotten a bit bloated the past couple years.

Regards,
SB

Yeah, I've been trying MSE on one machine and it's not bad. It even notifies you if a website has saved a "questionable" file to your internet cache and prompts to delete it.

I still find it slightly disconcerting that I don't get definition update notices periodically like I do with Avast and AVG. I'm assuming that's all done silently in the background.

Right now MSE and Avast are probably my top 2 for free AV software. AVG seems to have gotten a bit bloated the past couple years.

Regards,
SB

MSE not bugging me is one of the reasons I like it, the only notifications I've gotten is when there is an updated version or when it's actually found something. I don't personally care if I get notified for definition updates.

Isn't turning off the build-in firewall the first thing you do from XP-SP2 onwards?

How many people don't have a NAT-router at home? Very few, I'd guess.

Isn't turning off the build-in firewall the first thing you do from XP-SP2 onwards?

At least on Win7 there's absolutely no reason to turn it off (yes, I know many who don't have NATting routers)

How many people don't have WLAN at home? WPA2 isn't that safe, let alone WEP (which many people still use because they have old gear). Additional protection can't hurt.

Back