Windows 7

If only it supported autosave and a backup as well! Then I'd never need another text editor...

Office 2010 will have free (ad-supported) versions of Word and Excel.

Regarding MS Paint: about god DAMN time! They haven't overhauled Paint since windows 3.0 when it was introduced I believe, haha! What an awful program it used to be. *starts up new Paint...*

Well, if they add any more features Adobe will probably complain to the US DoJ/EU's commission. :p

I know how to set .txt to open wordpad by default. What I meant was how to simply create a new text format document inside of wordpad, without having to go the route of saving it to disk first...

In the old-style Wordpad, there was a config window where you could define the default document format, I think you could pick .doc, .rtf and then plain text. I can't find this setting in the new style of wordpad, but of course I could do like you suggest, just open a new document, and then save it as text. But that's a bit cumbersome I think. :D Oh well. Not that it really matters. :)

If only it supported autosave and a backup as well! Then I'd never need another text editor...

I've always just right clicked on desktop (or in folder), new -> text document. Then open it with notepad (or wordpad). I always found that easier than creating the document after opening notepad/wordpad.

Regards,
SB

I've always just right clicked on desktop (or in folder), new -> text document. Then open it with notepad (or wordpad). I always found that easier than creating the document after opening notepad/wordpad.

Same, though I only do this for TXT documents. What I really wanted was to shortcut these two steps with a simple double-click on an empty space in the desktop (or any regular explorer windows really).

I've finally switched over to Win7, and for the most part I am pretty happy with it. My biggest gripes are the lack of up buttons on explorer windows, and the inability to put buttons up there on the window bar. It annoying that I now have to use the keyboard or context menu if I want to delete a file, whereas on XP I can just click on a button at the top of the window to do cut/copy/past/delete.

The lack of the up button is just shocking. How the hell are you supposed to navigate properly? Sure, you can go back and forth down the linear path you took, but you can't use the UI to go up the directory tree - often quicker and more logical than opening more windows or going backwards along all the paths you've already been. Back and forth doesn't even do that if you need to move above your original entry point.

It's pretty dumb that a new, supposedly more advance UI now takes more clicks to do the same thing than it did in XP, or is slower because you have to take your hand off the mouse to use the keyboard. Smacks to me of marketing wanting a pretty window, and sacrificing functionality for it. I just don't understand why it couldn't have been put in as an option for the more tech-savvy users instead of insisting that everyone uses the same "look dummy, it's a web browser" UI.

It's pretty dumb that a new, supposedly more advance UI now takes more clicks to do the same thing than it did in XP, or is slower because you have to take your hand off the mouse to use the keyboard. Smacks to me of marketing wanting a pretty window, and sacrificing functionality for it. I just don't understand why it couldn't have been put in as an option for the more tech-savvy users instead of insisting that everyone uses the same "look dummy, it's a web browser" UI.

Typing commands etc is way faster than using the mouse etc. Once you learn to use these features and integrated search you'll browse your files faster than you could ever with a mouse. (mail etc.)

Typing commands etc is way faster than using the mouse etc. Once you learn to use these features and integrated search you'll browse your files faster than you could ever with a mouse. (mail etc.)

How can it be faster to delete or move particular files by typing commands? And I'm saying that as someone who can touchtype and comes from a Unix command line background.

If I've got a GUI, and I'm using it, it's pretty silly to make me go to a command line or have to use more clicks or move my hands off the GUI controller. It's much slower to take my hands off the mouse and hit the backspace key to do a directory up than it is just to click with the mouse I'm already using.

If you remove useful, basic functionality from a GUI, then tell people "you don't wanna do it like that", then expect to be mercilessly ridiculed. Suppose MS removed the keyboard and command line interface, and then told you "it's way faster to use the mouse and learn the new features"? You'd rightly be amazed and annoyed at the stupidity. More options for those that want/need them are much better.

Really, there's been so much request for the up button that it's necessary. It's a basic functionality for efficient filesystem navigation. Without it, its like having a building where you can only walk down the stairs, but not up them. When you ask why you can't walk up the stairs, you're told "it's okay, you can climb in through the windows at any floor".

You can click on the parent folder in the address bar to go up, or the little arrow beside it to go to another folder in the parent folder.

this means that you no longer have a non-moving, static target for your mouse click, that you may click any number of times without having to look at it and read stuff. now you have to reach for the backspace key for that.

at least, the windows file manager is keyboard-friendly (windows is in general, sometimes more than a linux desktop :)) but mouse is useful for file selections.

I do use copy/paste buttons too. it allows better use of the mouse, spares you going through a menu layer (edit menu or file properties)

mind you I most often use the file manager with keyboard only under XP, but when I'm mousing I don't want to do ctrl-c, ctrl-drag'n'drop etc.; I still have to do ctrl-clicking (even though I've used three-button mice for the past 15 years)

You can click on the parent folder in the address bar to go up, or the little arrow beside it to go to another folder in the parent folder.

I've just found the "breadcumbs" which isn't bad, but it is still something slightly different than an up button. For instance the breadcrumbs won't let you move above your entry point, whereas up does.

Thanks for the link! Do you happen to know if this works with Mediacenter? Trying to get FFDShow to work with W7's MC wasn't that pleasant task and I had to remove few files from the system32-folder to get it work.

I've just come across some similar codec issues (avi files with pretty standard mp3 audio that Windows Media Player just doesn't like), and problems installing codecs that are not simply ignored by WMP. A pretty painless solution was to install Shark 007's codecs For Win7 (x86 and x32) . I just installed both versions, and everything seems fixed and nothing is broken. It's supposed to be quite system friendly and easily reversible.

I use MPC regular as I didn't find how to disable MPC-HC's h264 codec (I know, it's a feature, but it looks worse than software decoded and deblocked/fixed by ffdshow :))

Back