Windows 7

none, (afaik) i was just try to explain my point
allthough i do have some which work in win9x and not xp (maybe win7's vm could also support 9x)

none, (afaik) i was just try to explain my point
allthough i do have some which work in win9x and not xp (maybe win7's vm could also support 9x)

So exactly where does one need hardware acceleration of for example graphics, if none of the games require "XP mode"?
I'd expect every productive application requiring such acceleration to work on Win7's too

I was just asking incase I encounter the situation
not having win7 i have no idea what games run/dont run on it

I was just asking incase I encounter the situation
not having win7 i have no idea what games run/dont run on it

well, personally i haven't found a single game that wouldn't (though some I've been running through dosbox without even trying anything else for obvious reasons)
I honestly don't believe there could be such situation where you would really need graphics virtualization for compatibility reasons

Have been using Windows 7 Ultimate Beta for a while, I am not impressed at all.

It makes me feel XP > Vista > 7 is like adding few stuff in and thats it. Nothing revolutionary really, I think I will move to Macs next.

Can someone please tell me a nice easy way to change the login screen background? The beta one was ok (vista style?) but Release Candidate one is yucky.
Why they can't just have it automatically synched with the desktop background (at least on single user PCs) I don't understand.

Which games you have, that don't work on Win7 but do on XP?

I found a copy of Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight at a used book seller a few weeks ago and have been unsuccessful running it on any of my Vista machines (32 and 64 bit) but it runs like a champ in XP. Not a deal-breaker for me by any means, just saying I'll have to keep XP around for true backwards compatibility. All my other machines will go to 7 when it launches.

I found a copy of Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight at a used book seller a few weeks ago and have been unsuccessful running it on any of my Vista machines (32 and 64 bit) but it runs like a champ in XP. Not a deal-breaker for me by any means, just saying I'll have to keep XP around for true backwards compatibility. All my other machines will go to 7 when it launches.

I'll check if I can find my old JK CD and see if it'll run

Have been using Windows 7 Ultimate Beta for a while, I am not impressed at all.

It makes me feel XP > Vista > 7 is like adding few stuff in and thats it. Nothing revolutionary really, I think I will move to Macs next.
I don't think you will find anything revolutionary there either.

So, I can't figure out how to disable a secondary display with Win7. With my Radeon 4670, running dual displays locks the GDDR3 to full clock, unlike when it's only running a single output. So I lose a good bit of power savings. Anyone figure out how to disable the second display, or do I need to actually unplug the DVI cable? I liked being able to toggle displays on and off within either CCC or display properties....

edit: nevermind me. it's right there in display properties.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, it's just XP running on Virtual PC 7, CPU gets virtualized, but that's it.
The only thing really "new" in it is how it's hidden from the user, there's no virtual desktop or anything to be seen, it just runs in the BG and the programs act like they'd be running under Win7 - except there's no preview windows from them in superbar and they have winxp-style windows
Saw Vista running under W7's Virtual PC on thelazyadmin blog yesterday, running with full Aero interface.
Second, you can run Windows Vista and windows 7 in a virtual PC, what is really cool is that you can get full Aero glass compatibility in a virtual PC environment after you install the integration features.
http://thelazyadmin.com/blogs/thelazyadmin/archive/2009/05/22/virtual-pc-in-windows-7.aspx

I assume that requires some hardware acceleration or at least DirectX 9 dummy drivers.

Well since riiven did not work in vista, but did in XP I have little reason to think it would work in win7.

I'm using Microsoft Windows 7 Beta x64 (Build 7000), the above steps get Riven working perfectly on it.
I don't know, it looks like some people had to take steps in addition to the ones from the original post and the solution for Windows 7 in the final post involves having two PC's at your disposal, but here's the link if you're feeling adventurous. :)

http://www.uruobsession.com/forum/index.php?act=ST&f=92&t=32930

P.S. That thread has a dead link to rivenupdater102. Here's a different one.

http://ubisoft.custhelp.com/cgi-bin...&p_tbl=9&p_id=582&p_created=987617506&p_olh=0

Edit: I guess if you're using the x32 version of Windows 7 then the solution doesn't require a second PC

Last edited by a moderator:
Back