Windows 7

I wonder if a single guys feedback could really make a difference :p
I sent them feedback on the taskbar, I really love having it on the left side of the screen as suggested for widescreen monitors on the "windows 7 secrets" blog-thingy, BUT I really, really would want the start-orb to be at the bottom instead of top like it's now.
So if I had it my way, from top down it would be date, clock, programs, and at the bottom first the systray/notification area and then start orb

Yeah, that's my one wish for the new taskbar, too. It would work so well in that arrangement and I wouldn't have to retrain myself on where the start button is.

I wonder if a single guys feedback could really make a difference :p

So if I had it my way, from top down it would be date, clock, programs, and at the bottom first the systray/notification area and then start orb

That's my major major complaint, if they're going to push this new "superbar" onto us I would LOVE to see it modular and completely customizable.

Again, I detest having my "show desktop" button be on the right hand side of the bar and locked in position, it makes no sense other than someone thought that would be a good place to put it "out of the way" and sometimes when I'm working on something via the desktop and happen to have 10 different tasks open I just want to go straight to the desktop and blam, the intuitiveness is gone from having a button where I'm used to having it just because someone designing the damn superbar decided it was best on the right bottom side of my screen. ARRGH! /rant

Well if you agree, go and send feedback on it, you never know if it actually could make a difference

The new show desktop location is perfect. You can make a quick sweeping move to the bottom right which wasn't possible with the previous method. Also, the keyboard shortcuts still exist... A complaint about that is mind numbing, the only issue is that it is new, lets just ignore the fact that it is completely superior...

That's an OEM edition that you have to buy with a piece of hardware anyway.

You can get the same thing at newegg right now for $179 US, and you get a $50 discount as long as you also buy a hard disk, or CPU, or motherboard at the same time.

Nope, while this was "required" with XP to sell OEM only with "piece of relevant hardware", it's no longer so with Vista.
When buying OEM Vista, you don't need to buy anything else, but you do need to be registered system builder (registration is free @ ms), though no-one will ever check if you really are

True. Still (1) OEM software is tied to the motherboard it is first installed on; (2) you get only 32-bit or 64-bit disk; (3) you're your own support. There are certain things you give up when you buy OEM version.

True. Still (1) OEM software is tied to the motherboard it is first installed on; (2) you get only 32-bit or 64-bit disk; (3) you're your own support. There are certain things you give up when you buy OEM version.

Yep. Oddly enough, the older I get the more likely I am to spend money to get proper support. I have less and less time to mess around with my computer and paying for customer service is not a bad thing.

Eh? You really get service from automated systems and people who don't speak English as a native nor have any true technical knowledge? Support is nice from an enterprise level application where you can work out legitimate solutions, Windows consumer editions... not so much.

For the record: the 50GB partition that W7 beta is installed on (shows as 48.8 in Windows explorer) shows 26.7GB free with at least 6.7GB used being CoD:WaW.

I use a 64GB SSD for my Windows 7 beta, and it seems to be holding pretty well. Although I don't install some huge softwares such as Office.

By the way, I encountered a weird "bug." On another computer, I installed the Windows 7 beta on an old 200GB WD HDD. For curiosity, I enabled AHCI, and since Windows 7 beta has native support for AHCI (just like Vista), I just have to enable it in the registry. However, a weird "bug" happaned: the 200GB HD becomes extremely slow, the HD Tune benchmark also shows that the transfer rate is only about 5MB/s (compared to other HDD's 50MB/s ~ 100MB/s).

After checking several possibilities, I still can't solve this problem, so I decided to install Intel's AHCI driver for Vista, and it worked. Now the HDD performs normally.

This bug is weird because it happens only on the 200GB HDD. Other HDDs (including a WD 250GB one and a Seagate 500GB one) do not show this behavior. It's probably some weird compatibility issues between Microsoft's AHCI driver and that HDD.

Well if you agree, go and send feedback on it, you never know if it actually could make a difference

I have. Actually several different reports regarding modularity have been sent from my end regarding different portions of the superbar.

Wow, a Sammy F1 drive at that too. I figured they'd be giving away Seagate Barracuda drives so they could blame OS crashes on the shoddy drives ;) j/k

Just whatever you do, don't try and install Daemon tools on Win 7...bad things happen.

Virtual Clone Drive works spiffy, though not sure if it messes with the activation like Daemon does yet.

Just whatever you do, don't try and install Daemon tools on Win 7...bad things happen.

Virtual Clone Drive works spiffy, though not sure if it messes with the activation like Daemon does yet.

Daemon shouldn't even install if you try it as far as I know? :???:

Anyone else experiencing diagonal scrolling lines using Windows Media Player (the version included with Windows7) when playing videos?

I'm not getting it if I use VLC.
I see it with any type of video (DVD, Divx, Xvid)

Was able to take a screen shot and cropped it down.
Enlarge it up and you will see the lines.
When the video is playing the lines scroll from the bottom right to the upper left.

Never see this phenomenon when using Vista.

wmpdiagio1.jpg

Back