Best looking action games *Spinoff from GoW3 thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanquish

Banned
Looking at the shots, is anyone else quite unimpressed?
It doesn't hold up a candle to DMC4, though it looks a bit better than similar titles like Viking or Conan.

Looking at the shot of Kratos' face it looks a little more detailed than he does on Chains of Olympus on my PSP.

Far from groundbreaking , like I was expecting. And I thought SCE Santa Monica was the one to outdo Guerilla, Insomniac, Naughty Dog etc.
I am genuinely surprised.

Lets hope it is really, early footage, (but you would think they would only show it if it is fairly close to what they intend the final release to look like)

Looking at the shots, is anyone else quite unimpressed?
It doesn't hold up a candle to DMC4, though it looks a bit better than similar titles like Viking or Conan.

Looking at the shot of Kratos' face it looks a little more detailed than he does on Chains of Olympus on my PSP.

Far from groundbreaking , like I was expecting. And I thought SCE Santa Monica was the one to outdo Guerilla, Insomniac, Naughty Dog etc.
I am genuinely surprised.

Lets hope it is really, early footage, (but you would think they would only show it if it is fairly close to what they intend the final release to look like)

Haha! What are you smoking!? Are we talking about the CG cutscenes in God of War PSP/PS2? If so, I agree.

I share Vanquish opinion, after all the hype I'm not impressed.
It looks better than Viking, but the gap expected is not there. We need bigger scale battles :devilish:

I can't spot aliasing, I haven't seen any screen in "proper" resolution (720p or 1080p).
Somewhat looks "soft" to me.
EDIT
gamersyde have capture in 720p
http://gamersyde.com/gallery_9865_en.html

EDIT just noticed that I used the wrong evil smiley .

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope they cut back on the QTE. Not only are they boring but they're just there for the "wow" effect. Since the pass/fail sequences in QTE's are heavily scripted they can pump up the visuals. Ofcourse when you're back to fighting regular people they graphics come back down accordingly. I rather the bosses have attack sequences and such but my character is allowed to use his full arsenal of moves.

How is this different from any other games? Tons of engines have models that scale accordingly when you are close / far. It's common practice. Not to mention a lot of the boss ifghts DO have attack sequences and you DO have access to your full ardsenal of moves. Some of the fights have QTE's that are intitiated after you inflict a certain amount of damage.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with it as it's far more exciting than whipping out dial-a-combos over and over again ala Ninja Gaiden, learning attack pattnerns etc. Why bother me with that boring aged crap? Give me something exciting at the end of the fight that I can at least interact with.

The complaints for QTE's are just so silly to me, it's like "hey, I hate QTE's, I want to play with mechanics from games from 1993, give me back my patterns!!".

I share Vanquish opinion, after all the hype I'm not impressed.
It looks better than Viking, but the gap expected is not there. We need bigger scale battles :devilish:

I can't spot aliasing, I haven't seen any screen in "proper" resolution (720p or 1080p).
Somewhat looks "soft" to me.

So after a less than 30 second montage of footage, you can determain that you need bigger scale battles and it doesn't look that great?

Wow.

I wonder what trailer you guys watched, because it certainly wasn't the same one I saw on Spike HD last night.

For the record, I didn't repspond to Vanquish for a reason. The post was either very strong sarcasm, a bad joke, or he really does believe that...

Wow.

I wonder what trailer you guys watched, because it certainly wasn't the same one I saw on Spike HD last night.

For the record, I didn't repspond to Vanquish for a reason. The post was either very strong sarcasm, a bad joke, or he really does believe that...

No need to get so defensive. You cant force your opinion down onto others. And I am sure the tune would have been diferently would it have been exclusive for another platform. ;)

Let's see how this one pans out in the future.

You can show your biais and anger because a few persons are not that impress by the game and the hype that has been surrounding it lately? Moving paint? not at all. Not even great.

I spoke of bigger scale battle because today I watched some vid of viking which is kind of "beat'em all" too that feature huge battles and I feel GoW 3 is likely too.
It doesn't look bad either, just underwhelming.
I'm not the only one thinking it but it might be the best thing since bread and butter if people repeat it enough... /

You may find what you see great, nobody has a problem with it but you have an unpleasant way to disagree with people...
cheers

EDIT was responding to Tha_con for some reason I didn't quote properly.

What am I missing? Are my eyes broken because I don't understand what the debate on the visuals is even about. This looks amazing!! Pause the scenes where he is fighting the centaur thingy or is just standing there with those lion gauntlets. It's beautiful.

You can show your biais and anger because a few persons are not that impress by the game and the hype that has been surrounding it lately? Moving paint? not at all. Not even great.

I spoke of bigger scale battle because today I watched some vid of viking which is kind of "beat'em all" too that feature huge battles and I feel GoW 3 is likely too.
It doesn't look bad either, just underwhelming.
I'm not the only one thinking it but it might be the best thing since bread and butter if people repeat it enough... /

You may find what you see great, nobody has a problem with it but you have an unpleasant way to disagree with people...
cheers

EDIT was responding to Tha_con for some reason I didn't quote properly.

Well, when you compare a PS3 game to a PSP game, how do you REALLY expect to be taken?

god-of-war-chains-of-olympus-20070827023940949.jpg

inrfog.jpg

Not even freaking CLOSE to looking like the PSP game.

No need to get so defensive. You cant force your opinion down onto others. And I am sure the tune would have been diferently would it have been exclusive for another platform. ;)

Let's see how this one pans out in the future.

My tune would be the same regardless of platform. If you compare a next generation title to a last generation title and say it only looks mapped, I'm going to call you out. It's just a stupid stupid thing to say.

Underwhelming trailer. But I dont think its fair to judge Santa Monica on 20 seconds of poorly selected footage. I'll wait for a proper unveiling of realtime footage before I cast any serious judgment.

This is real time footage. How is it underwhelming?

I suppose every 3rd person action title this generation is also underwhelming, since this looks better (visually) then all of them.

I dont find this trailer impressive aswell. In the closeup, Kratos skin looks pretty much "cartoony" as in dire need of detail and lacking suble shadowing.
Fightin scenes are way to short to see whats going on as whole, whats shown doesnt stand out in any way, mostly seems like clay in motion (lowres normal-maps?) but the compression in the movie might be responsible for that.

Well, one thing did strike me though: appears as his muscles are animated rather well (and not overdone). For example when he did -whatever he has done with his nasty cloves- you see his bizeps and breast contracting.. Man, does it feel weird to talk about breast of men :oops:

I dont find this trailer impressive aswell. In the closeup, Kratos skin looks pretty much "cartoony" as in dire need of detail and lacking suble shadowing.
Fightin scenes are way to short to see whats going on as whole, whats shown doesnt stand out in any way, mostly seems like clay in motion (lowres normal-maps?) but the compression in the movie might be responsible for that.

Well, one thing did strike me though: appears as his muscles are animated rather well (and not overdone). For example when he did -whatever he has done with his nasty cloves- you see his bizeps and breast contracting.. Man, does it feel weird to talk about breast of men :oops:

Call them 'pecs', and meanwhile we can only hope rule 34 hasn't applied to your comment yet.

lol, this is yet another thread I will stay out of from now on. Nothing but lunacy and ridiculous disappointments.

Sadly Jaffe's comments appear to have to have fanned the flames of Internet Moronism. I can't say I was impressed with the visuals - the lighting didn't look particularly strong - and after Jaffe's comments that 'you've never seen anything like' the public reaction is definitely going to tend towards 'well, actually, I have...' However, that's no excuse for the name-calling and general trollishness coming from 'defenders' and 'attackers' and all that crap. If anyone's aligning themselves with a console and talking about people in response to the their console opinions, instead of games and technology, then they aren't welcome. My fuse is all burnt out and I'm giving myself a shiny new banstick for Christmas.

Read the new sig and understand...

Sadly Jaffe's comments appear to have to have fanned the flames of Internet Moronism. I can't say I was impressed with the visuals - the lighting didn't look particularly strong - and after Jaffe's comments that 'you've never seen anything like' the public reaction is definitely going to tend towards 'well, actually, I have...' However, that's no excuse for the name-calling and general trollishness coming from 'defenders' and 'attackers' and all that crap. If anyone's aligning themselves with a console and talking about people in response to the their console opinions, instead of games and technology, then they aren't welcome. My fuse is all burnt out and I'm giving myself a shiny new banstick for Christmas.

Read the new sig and understand...

To be fair, Jaffe backpedaled and said that the 'amazing graphics' are not what was shown in this trailer. Why Sony doesn't show the amazing graphics? Well, because it's Sony, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back