Stereoscopic 3D for Next Gen Consoles?

Because you need glasses to see the real picture... It's not like they hand out those glasses for everyone before entering the store^^

Oh. Ok now I understand. thanks.

Well, they have to showcase them with glasses of course. Let people try them one by one or something. Like they let you play game consoles in stores.

I don't know if its been talked about but apparently

http://www.myfoxny.com/myfox/pages/...n=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.1.1

Some 150 million 3D glasses will be given away for Super Bowl viewers to watch a three-minute 3D sneak preview of the big-screen animated feature "Monsters vs. Aliens." While 3D telecasts are nothing new, this marks the first time one has been done for such a large audience.

Looks like they are the glasses they gave out at thearters for bolt and um beowulf . If so 150m people may have 3d glasses . Thats about half the population of the USA

The glasses will be distributed free at Pepsi/SoBe Life Water displays at 28,000 locations including grocery, drug and electronics stores and big-box retailers.

The promotion was unveiled Saturday during NBC's telecast of the AFC Wild Card Playoffs between the Indianapolis Colts and San Diego Chargers. NBC, which will air the Super Bowl on Feb. 1, has its own interest in making sure the glasses are used, as it will air a 3D episode of its series "Chuck" the following night.

IF this stuff looks good it will surely help. If those monitors from samsung and viewsonic are nice i will most likely buy one next yer\ar

I've not been to CES since 1994 (!) but I really wish I'd gone just to see the Sony demonstration. I'd be fascinated to know if the demos are true 60fps, or whether every other frame is being used as per the previous Ridge Racer 7 test.

The requirement for new screens is rather onerous, but if there is a convergence in TV transmissions, movies and gaming then perhaps it could be done for the next generation.

However, if a 1080p120fps output really is required, I can't see this happening to be honest.

Here's the tech details on Sony's CES demo from a 'well placed source' who followed up with Ars:

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/pos...already-outdated-something-better-coming.html

"The LCDs Sony is using use a technique called 'Micropolarization' (often abbreviated as Xpol)," Ars was told. "Put simply, the display is layered with a polarizing filter that actually polarizes every other horizontal line of the display to 'spin' the light in a different direction. The glasses you're wearing (provided by RealD) only accept light spinning in one direction to the eye it is covering. That's how each eye gets a different angle and, ultimately, how your brain interprets 3D."

This is the same technology used in movie theaters, which is why the RealD glasses work. "The difference is, at the cinema, a full frame image is painting on the screen and an active LCD polarizer spins the light for one whole frame in the same direction so that you get Left-Right-Left-Right sequential," the source claimed.

"Of course the limitation here is obvious—the Sony LCD's only show half resolution to each eye. It looks perceptually very close to HD after your brain slaps it together, but the lower resolution is apparent if you examine the screen more closely."

Given this, I guess it's possible 1 PS3 was driving each display? It doesn't sound like it had to render any more pixels than normal..just every other line was rendered for one of your eyes.

Of course, the article goes on to say that any consumer products would be full resolution, and 'standardised' in their methods of producing 3D..and that this is why Sony PR wasn't talking about this as an actual product at CES.

How can they get full resolution with interleaved left-right images? You've got 1080 lines and two image to show...

they can make 1920x2160 polaryzed screen or add another 1920x1080 LCD panel over the first panel like IZ3D monitor for adjust the polarization of every sub-pixel of the first panel

Last edited by a moderator:
So the Nvidia way only requires glasses and a 120Hz tv(which is very rare) and the Sony way requires glasses and a 3D tv (does not exist yet). I think this is a long way off. It'll be hard to convince people to buy an HDTV again, especially if they upgraded from 720p or 1080i to 1080p already.

That said, the idea of playing Left 4 Dead on the Nvidia system is mind blowing and makes me want to spend a lot of money on the new toys if they become available.

Nvidia has been offering their 3D driver for about a decade ;). At least it can be tried with the red/blue cardboard junk, or shutters + a fast CRT monitor salvaged from the dumpster.

I've always thought that LCD monitors killed stereoscopy in the egg..

Back