Nintendo, Thank you. Apology Accepted :)

Nappe1

lp0 On Fire!
Veteran
Some of the members might remember me having boycott to Nintendo products from 1987 to 2006 due the lawyer trick which Nintendo pulled to Time Warp Productions / Rainbow Arts The Great Giana Sisters and I claimed that I won't buy Nintendo products until they provide apology or release Giana again to newer systems.

The Great Giana Sisters is in the works for Nintendo DS.
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/56284

I never expected to see this day, but it seems to be coming.

This, as I already own DS Lite, might drive me buying Wii as well. :)

Big thumbs up for Nintendo.

Why would you be so pissed about something like that. Giana Sisters was the biggest and the most outrageous plagiarism I have ever seen...And rightly put down.

Why would you be so pissed about something like that. Giana Sisters was the biggest and the most outrageous plagiarism I have ever seen...And rightly put down.

But don't you agree that it was better than the original? :)
Music was awesome compared to single notes of SMB, graphics on C64 were at least on level of NES, though the VIC II was severly older and more limited chip than NES had. Playability was at least the same. Level design again was the part which was straightly copied as mostly were how the weapons behave. (though graphically there was very little same.)

and Yet, there was never SMB for Amiga, Atari ST nor Commodore 64 and if Nintendo thought that using Lawyers they would get C64 owners to buy NES just to get SMB, the real effect was wise versa. So, to get something out of the trick it would have needed them to release SMB to Giana platforms, which they never did. (this amazes me even today, as the original Mario Brothers was released across the all major platfroms. Of Course, this happened before launch of NES, but still.)

Too bad that MOS Technologies were not able to patent the whole 6502 CPU family due it's roots in Motorola 6800 series. This action would have prevented Nintendo to rip off 6510 from C64 for NES. (Only difference between the NES cpu and 6510 is the missing 4-5 special op codes which were patented by MOS / Commodore Semiconductors.)

Nevertheless, I am already hearing a positive reception of this move from several old skool C-purists. ;) So, excelent move from Nintendo.

Back