[PS3] God of War III Pre-Release

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you want it, you can throw down $5 on the game, or get the Collection. It's not like your $5 isn't refundable if you don't like what you play.

I don't know whether preorders here in Europe include the code. I'd preorder it instantly if it does. GoW 3 is a guaranteed no questions asked buy for me.

Finally tried the demo after playing ~4 hours or GoWI. The gameplay is better than ever. Kratos is even more badass. Visually, it's a very nice looking game. Only problem I have is with the framerate, especially after playing the GoW collection. It's playable, but I hope they make it a little smoother for release.

""We just made beta with the game so we're doing a lot of play-testing, tuning the game to make sure that it's fun, got the right level of complexity and of course optimised so that it runs super-smooth,"

Has anyone checked out the leaked pictures, apparently it's the new footage we'll be getting on Jan 18th. The shots of Poseidon "God of Sea" and his ride "giant sea serpents" specifically, looked as spectacular as one could imagine. Granted they were magazine scans but it's not a stretch to say the graphics resemble the quality of some JRPG opening FMVs. The sense of scale portrayed there is immense as one would expect but they looked a lot better in motion as claimed by those who already seen it. From the pictures I can see a more muted color pallet, water effects looked stunning with what seems like the presence of motion blur. The depth of field and lighting were phenomenon, the model of Poseidon and his ride were truly menacing. Can't wait for the embargo to lift!

Yes, easy for peeps to find, and yes, i was most certainly impressed. The 1st quarter of this year seems to be like no other!

Has anyone checked out the leaked pictures, apparently it's the new footage we'll be getting on Jan 18th. The shots of Poseidon "God of Sea" and his ride "giant sea serpents" specifically, looked as spectacular as one could imagine. Granted they were magazine scans but it's not a stretch to say the graphics resemble the quality of some JRPG opening FMVs. The sense of scale portrayed there is immense as one would expect but they looked a lot better in motion as claimed by those who already seen it. From the pictures I can see a more muted color pallet, water effects looked stunning with what seems like the presence of motion blur. The depth of field and lighting were phenomenon, the model of Poseidon and his ride were truly menacing. Can't wait for the embargo to lift!

As tears of joy roll down my face, I wait in eager anticipation for the manifestation of Kratos' current Gen glory!!! :D

The gameplay is better than ever. Kratos is even more badass. Visually, it's a very nice looking game.

After playing Bayonetta, controlling Kratos in the demo felt like trying to control a rock, heavy and frustratingly unresponsive. I don't remember past GOW games beeing this cluncky (maybe it's just my memory playing tricks on me). I really hope they massivelly improve the controls for the final version.
The framerate feels choppy as well. Not low numbers, but very inconsistent, i dunno, just not smooth as it should be.
The textures are good and the way the rocks lighten when Kratos swings the swords is a nice touch.

I've played all the best action games, but I still enjoy the GoW games for what they are. The combat system isn't nearly as deep and the gameplay/combat isn't nearly has hardcore as DMC or Bayonetta, but I still find it enjoyable. Plus the story, presentation and visuals are other things that make the GoW series great.

^Exactly.
When it comes to discussions about the quality of GoW in relation to NG, DMC and now Bayonetta, the talk generally focuses on combat mechanics exclusively, totally neglecting that the series does such a fantastic job in a lot of other segments. GoWII in particular had some really clever puzzles and a story that was actually worth paying attention to. The competition on the other hand is more likely to fry your brain cells if you fail to hit the skip-button in time for the next cut-scene.

After playing Bayonetta, controlling Kratos in the demo felt like trying to control a rock, heavy and frustratingly unresponsive. I don't remember past GOW games beeing this cluncky (maybe it's just my memory playing tricks on me). I really hope they massivelly improve the controls for the final version.
You're not going to find Bayonetta quality combat mechanics in GoW.

Speculation and impressions are pretty spot on. A bit surprised nobody has bother to translate the scans myself. It's a shame really that this is out since it will underscore their improvements since the very first reveal a tad. Still think the reaction will be similar to N'Gai/Hiphopgamer regardless of whether you know what's coming or not.

GOW 3 release date

CVG have posted news of a Euro release date of 20th of March. Personally I don't think we'll see until the end of March though (especially as they mention the date given is a Saturday).

Europe's being screwed over for the Ultimate Edition though, as seems like it's going to cost around £110 (US Ultimate Edition is only around $90 on Amazon!). Not sure what's up with the price gouging but I don't think having the GOW collection included makes up the difference IMO...

^Exactly.
When it comes to discussions about the quality of GoW in relation to NG, DMC and now Bayonetta, the talk generally focuses on combat mechanics exclusively, totally neglecting that the series does such a fantastic job in a lot of other segments. GoWII in particular had some really clever puzzles and a story that was actually worth paying attention to. The competition on the other hand is more likely to fry your brain cells if you fail to hit the skip-button in time for the next cut-scene.

Couldn't agree more. I used to be in the legion of DMC fanboys back when GOWI came out and I stubbornly didn't want to enjoy it. I tried both it and the sequel in late 2007 and realized how incredibly well balanced it is as a package. I thoroughly enjoyed GOWII in particular, especially the puzzles and some of the boss fights.

The likes of Kamiya (DMC, Bayonetta) and Mikami (RE4, RE, God Hand etc) are big fans too. In fact, Mikami praised it in a 2006 interview with Famitsu, saying that he wished every game was like GOW.

Its very disappointing to know the game will run at 30fps instead of 60fps which is one of its strenght for the first 2 GOW games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back