[PS3] God of War III Pre-Release

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems ambiguous to me because the context was cloth physics... But otherwise, they could still go with pre-set animations like the old days. ;)

I'm assuming they mean everything is animated and nothing is calculated no the fly. You won't see random items that you can bop around. Not a big deal for me, but some ragdoll stuff when gets get sent flying would have been cool.

I think the quote may be misleading.

I mean, how can you have no physics, but characters still fall down when tossed in the air, etc? Obviously there has to be SOME form of physics calcs, right?

Optimistically, I'd have to say it gives a lot more power to the animators (euphemism for more work ;) ), but for such fantasy type setting, perhaps that is much more important. I do wonder what else they will be putting those SPEs towards processing though...

Optimistically, I'd have to say it gives a lot more power to the animators (euphemism for more work ;) ), but for such fantasy type setting, perhaps that is much more important. I do wonder what else they will be putting those SPEs towards processing though...

They did promise far more involved sex minigames...

I think the quote may be misleading.

I mean, how can you have no physics, but characters still fall down when tossed in the air, etc? Obviously there has to be SOME form of physics calcs, right?

All such movements could be scripted animation, rather than on-the-fly physics calculations... That's how games were done "in the old days". But it does seem unlikely that everything is animated in advance; more likely there is some simple physics code, just nothing sophisticated like Euphoria.

Lame. The sex mini game in the first one was one of the most embarrassing things I've ever been subjected to.

Interesting, I didn't even know the first one had a sex mini game.
In the second one, the one that I know had mini game for sure, I didn't see nor play any either. :(

How exactly were you subjected to it? :devilish:

On a more serious note, I imagine they are lame. The overemphasized sexuality in God of War universe is really lame if you ask me. But why would anyone complain about hidden mini games?

The juevinille in me loves the little min-games if only for the guilty pleasures. GOW is supposed to be over the top, so I say bring it on.

It such a tiny slice of the game that it doesn't really matter in the overall game.

On a more serious note, I imagine they are lame. The overemphasized sexuality in God of War universe is really lame if you ask me. But why would anyone complain about hidden mini games?

I like that GoW is unapologetic about it. It's like 'boobs! yeah, boobs. right there. boobs.' Sure, it's juvenile, but at least it doesn't limit the juvenile aspect to violence, unlike just about every other game out there.

Aren't all of those completely voluntary? How were you subjected to them? :p

I can't remember how it starts, but I didn't really realize what it was going to be. It didn't say, "Press O to start sex minigame."

Edit: Thankfully there weren't any women around, so I wasn't completely emasculated.

I can't remember how it starts, but I didn't really realize what it was going to be. It didn't say, "Press O to start sex minigame."

Edit: Thankfully there weren't any women around, so I wasn't completely emasculated.

They don't, but reading that, I most certainly think that they should!

All such movements could be scripted animation, rather than on-the-fly physics calculations... That's how games were done "in the old days". But it does seem unlikely that everything is animated in advance; more likely there is some simple physics code, just nothing sophisticated like Euphoria.

Yeah, I think it can be more interesting if the animators are in charge of the presentation for key boss fights. In Resistance 2, Insomniac implemented sophisticated water physics. While the water bobs up and down, it look underwhelming/uninspiring for the Kraken fight. It could be more interesting if teh Kraken could manipulate water in unrealistic ways.

Yeah, I think it can be more interesting if the animators are in charge of the presentation for key boss fights. In Resistance 2, Insomniac implemented sophisticated water physics. While the water bobs up and down, it look underwhelming/uninspiring for the Kraken fight. It could be more interesting if teh Kraken could manipulate water in unrealistic ways.

Huh, I thought the Kraken fight was the only time the water looked great :oops:
Don't get me wrong, it was nice water, but the Kraken fight was the best part of the game to feature the water, I thought.

As for this, I wonder how GoW1 and 2 handled this kind of stuff? Does anyone know how that game handled death animations? I remember them looking somewhat canned (of course) and maybe they used a similar system in past games?

Huh, I thought the Kraken fight was the only time the water looked great :oops:
Don't get me wrong, it was nice water, but the Kraken fight was the best part of the game to feature the water, I thought.

It may look great as in it behaves somewhat realistically like water. IMHO, it's not dramatic or exaggerated for best psychological impact.

Agree. A puerile gimmick.

As is blood, gore, language, and nearly everything else in video games.

Seriously, get over it guys, it most certainly isn't the worst thing to happen to videogames, and they are 100% optional (and in the 2nd and 3rd titles, were hidden, not obvious like the first).

Talk about being blown out of proportion...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back