[PS3] God of War III Pre-Release

Status
Not open for further replies.
How long was GoW II ? And what's the average time to beat a boss (e.g., the last boss) ?

I am asking because I usually avoid long games even though I like third person view action game more than shooter. MGS3 would be too draining. Valkyria Chronicles is perfect for me because it breaks down the game into small morsels and the gameplay is deep and varied.

How long was GoW II ? And what's the average time to beat a boss (e.g., the last boss) ?

I am asking because I usually avoid long games even though I like third person view action game more than shooter. MGS3 would be too draining. Valkyria Chronicles is perfect for me because it breaks down the game into small morsels and the gameplay is deep and varied.

I would say between 9 and 12 hours depending on how good you are.

It's a great game though.

I am still buffering mid-way in the trailer,................................and its CRAZY guys :D !
This shit is so cooOOool !!!!!! Its all in-game coz it looks just like the screenshots, what a big difference watching the same stuff in motion makes .........:cool: !
HOLY SHIT ! Watched it fully now ! THis is awesome...........I was guessing he must be on a Titan, but seeing it like that was just so cooOOooOOooL !
Nice............wating to see what daytime looks like :cool: !

Last edited by a moderator:
God of War 3, my impressions of the game from the Sony event...

Normally I write something up for something like this, but this time I got the chance to put it into words for everyone--including my interview with the Design Lead. enjoy:

Played - Episode 49.5

Episode 50 is on it’s way, but until then we’ve got this special God of War 3 episode for you! Mark is back from Sony’s God of War 3 press event with his impressions of the game, an interview with Design Director Todd Papy (sorry about the sound quality!) and pink lemonade all over his shirt. We also managed to squeeze in Chris’s impression of F.E.A.R. 2, so please do enjoy.

Link: http://www.playedpodcast.com/2009-02-13/played-episode-495/
Direct MP3 Download: http://www.playedpodcast.com/wordpress/podpress_trac/web/75/0/Played-Episode-49.5.mp3

At work so I can't see anything but yes Renegade, the trailer was put together from in-game gameplay. Sony even made mention that they played the game for all media outlets to see so they would know that everything in the trailer they can do right now. Also Stig states the trailer was put together Fall 08.

I am so pumped for this game, and I haven't even seen the stuff released yet. Just all the impressions over the web.

Just watched the new trailer. Wow. I can't believe some folks said it looked like a "high res GoW2". It looks really good. Though I neve really doubted the game since it's VGA debut.

God of War III First Look
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/954/954097p1.html
The trailer, he stated, was a piece of work that had been completed last Fall, but the team had been waiting to fully unveil the entire thing. Everything within the trailer itself was "100 percent real," according to Asmussen. While the action within the trailer was scripted to tell the story that he wanted to tell for the trailer, "everything that you see in here is using actual in-game engine, resolution, effects. Let me assure you, we can draw Kratos in these levels and we can do all this stuff that's happening in here right now."

Asmussen then took back over to mention some of the elements that had been shown in the trailer such as the Titan gameplay, which he pointed out highlighted the immense scale of the game. "Our whole engine is built around rendering this massive scale, and it truly is a moving level. We're kind of moving mountains now," Asmussen said. Not only did he point out that everything that can be done normally can be done atop the Titans, but they're trying to measure the gameplay in the sense of acres instead of general areas or locations. The team also wanted to focus on ride-able enemy characters, which gives Kratos a new kind of strategy and flexibility in combat. The same kind of technology that was shown for the Titans was used on a miniature scale to allow the Spartan the option to leap onto creatures like the Cyclops and use it to his advantage.

Finally, the team wanted to expand on the scale of the battles significantly from those on the PS2. Whereas you'd face off against ten or twelve enemies at the most on the PS2, you'll easily fight against 50 or more in God of War III

While the trailer was impressive, the demo that we were shown afterwards was just as strong. While Design Director Todd Papy controlled Kratos in a section tentatively called "The Fortified City," Asmussen narrated the action. The setting of the city was a stone keep on the side of Mount Olympus, and the war between the gods was fully engaged. Kratos' task in this city was to find the hidden door of Eos, which was rumored to unlock a secret passageway that would lead to the Palace of Olympus. Asmussen intentionally wanted everyone to pay attention to Kratos as Papy started the demo because he called him "Kratos 3.0." Essentially, what he was telling the audience was that this was a next-gen Kratos. Not only has the development team focused solely upon using the game engine to create cinematics in-game, they've spent a large amount of time trying to make sure that Kratos looked as high-res as possible. As a result, Asmussen mentioned that the amount of elements that had been added would possibly blur the lines between high-res shots and in-game footage. The new Kratos features blended normal maps for realistic muscle flexing, high-res shaders, rim shaders to stand out from the environment and other elements. In fact, Asmussen mentioned that his character model wouldn't even fit in the PS2's memory. Compared to the 5,000-polygon count on the PS2, Kratos is now running around 20,000 polygons on the PS3 alone.

Honestly, from a personal standpoint, even describing the elements of the gameplay and trailer doesn't do the gameplay justice, because the sense of scale and action really has to be seen to be fully grasped and understood. The vistas are huge, the characters and monsters that you face off against are significantly larger and more numerous than the previous games, and there's a lot of features that the team specifically has tried to keep secret from everyone, particularly because they want to roll additional details out at a later time.

Talking to the lead programmer, I found out that there would probably be a small install when players initially started the game for the first time, but everything else from there would stream solely from the disc with a significant amount of SPU balancing to make sure that everything moves seamlessly without any load times or visual hitches. Although they weren't willing to talk about release dates or even if this level would be a possible demo that fans would be able to see and play (which they did seem willing to consider but weren't willing to commit to), the design team did state that there would be plenty of news coming about God of War III soon. Personally, I can't wait, because if it's even close to what we were shown during the screening, in the end, there might be only chaos, but it could also be one of the best games any system will ever have
Joystiq interview: God of War 3 director Stig Asmussen
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/02/13/joystiq-interview-god-of-war-3s-stig-asmussen-game-director/

It seems the trailers are 30 fps encodes, but the animations are very, very smooth. A little too smooth for 30 fps.
I also notice that some parts of the environment (some of the wall and ground textures) lack the advanced shaders we usually see in 30 fps games.
I'm dumbfounded at the fact that not one bloody preview has given us any kind of information on the framerate and native resolution.

It seems the trailers are 30 fps encodes, but the animations are very, very smooth. A little too smooth for 30 fps.
I also notice that some parts of the environment (some of the wall and ground textures) lack the advanced shaders we usually see in 30 fps games.
I'm dumbfounded at the fact that not one bloody preview has given us any kind of information on the framerate and native resolution.

Didn't Barlog state it would be 1080p?

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3157967

That was almost 2 years ago though, so who knows if they are still shooting for/able to achieve that resolution. If these graphics are in 1080p, I'll be even more impressed.

The frame rate is still an interesting question though, since GOW1 and 2 both ran at 60 fps. I could imagine these graphics are achievable at 720p/60fps...? Regardless, I'm still looking forward to it!

If everything is real, they should have shown a video where they freeze frame halfway and pan around. I love those things.

If everything is real, they should have shown a video where they freeze frame halfway and pan around. I love those things.

Supposedly this is an old demo, prepared in the Fall, whenever that was. Journalists did get to see the real deal. warcrow's podcast has some impressions of the non-trailer footage they saw.

Holy cow, I just saw the 1080p trailer that I downloaded from PSN. It is truly amazing looking and I think it'll be a great game. I loved the first one, never played the second though. Maybe I should pick it up to catch up.

One of the most epic trailers I have seen. Really very good. The action, the graphics, the scale, and the music are top notch. Kudos to Sony Santa Monica!.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back