New Steam survey results

But that would inflate the quad-core count not reduce it.

steam detects my Core i3 2100 as
" Vendor: GenuineIntel
Speed: 3092 Mhz
4 logical processors
2 physical processors
HyperThreading: Supported
"

there is also a good number of notebooks/macbooks using dual core sandy bridge with HT fast enough for gaming,

April results are out.

Intel graphics wins big again and English makes a comeback. GTX 680 shows up at +0.22% in its first full month, matching the 7970.

Tahiti seems to be languishing in the last month. Pitcairn and Cape Verde show up at 7800 and 7700 series respectively and aren't doing too hot.

That's only for DX11 systems i.e. Vista or Win7 with DX11 installed. Of all the 28nm GPUs only the HD 7970 shows up at 0.40% in DX11 GPU section, so there's seems to be quite a few steam users running XP with their 7970s.

Individual results are known to change even after they've been posted, probably Steam running out of steam to update them all at once. :)

Interesting...

Dual core CPU share continues to grow (AMD APUs?).

Interesting that 7970 is the ONLY current generation card to break into the overall video card chart as cal_guy noted.

And in Dx11 systems. It's still 0.36% versus 0.22% for the GTX 680. But adoption the past month has been far higher for the GTX 680. +0.18% versus +0.02%.

7800 series sits at 0.12% of Dx11 systems which matches 7950. And 7700 series sits at 0.08%.

So for current gen Dx11 systems. It's AMD at 0.68% versus Nvidia at 0.22% in Dx11 capable systems. That's less than 1% combined after almost 3.5 months. Not exactly overwhelming for either player and shows Nvidia's inability to release product as quickly as AMD. Which is completely opposite of how it used to be. It also shows just how supply constrained 28 nm appears to be, as demand has been there but supply hasn't generally matched it.

Regards,
SB

There's definately something wrong, and not just a bit, just look at this: (DEC - JAN - FEB - MAR - APR - Change last month)
DirectX 9 Shader Model 2.0 GPUs - 1.24% - 1.09% - 0.98% - 1.98% - 2.21% - +0.23%
DirectX 8 GPUs and below - 1.29% - 1.11% - 0.95% - 2.12% - 2.30% - +0.18%
Both got 1% or over jump in March, and still continue to grow?

There's definately something wrong, and not just a bit, just look at this: (DEC - JAN - FEB - MAR - APR - Change last month)
DirectX 9 Shader Model 2.0 GPUs - 1.24% - 1.09% - 0.98% - 1.98% - 2.21% - +0.23%
DirectX 8 GPUs and below - 1.29% - 1.11% - 0.95% - 2.12% - 2.30% - +0.18%
Both got 1% or over jump in March, and still continue to grow?

I think there's just a large margin of error. Among the top movers this month is Intel G33/G31 Express with +0.07%. I can't imagine that actually being the case.

Steam may be somewhat reliable for the total number of a certain SKU, but not change month/month.

Has Steam recently attempted penetration into new markets? If those feature some relatively undeveloped countries that could skew some numbers towards older generations of product.

I have noticed a trend of increasing number of ports of former XBLA titles that would run just fine on many of the older architectures.

Regards,
SB

Dual core CPU share continues to grow (AMD APUs?).
Ultrabooks.

Intel graphics is rising heavily, and all Ultrabooks have dual core (4 thread) 17W Sandy Bridge CPUs with Intel HD3000 graphics. This explains both the Intel graphics and the dual core CPU increases. Intel (and laptop manufacturers) have been promoting Ultrabooks very heavily lately. Intel estimated that 40% of notebooks sold this year would be Ultrabooks... a really optimistic estimate, but seems to be at least partially true based on these Steam survey results.

Bought my wife Asus Zenbook (Ultrabook) some time ago. It has 1600x900 resolution 13.3" display, dual core Sandy Bridge (with HT), a 128 GB SSD drive and weights just over one kilogram. It actually beats my old trusty desktop in CPU benchmarks (both single threaded and multithreaded) and in productivity benchmarks (I have Core 2 Quad Q6600, 160 GB SSD, Radeon 5850) and the Ultrabook CPU consumes only 17 watts... Computers have evolved a lot in just a few years :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ultrabooks.

Intel graphics is rising heavily, and all Ultrabooks have dual core (4 thread) 17W Sandy Bridge CPUs with Intel HD3000 graphics. This explains both the Intel graphics and the dual core CPU increases. Intel (and laptop manufacturers) have been promoting Ultrabooks very heavily lately. Intel estimated that 40% of notebooks sold this year would be Ultrabooks... a really optimistic estimate, but seems to be at least partially true based on these Steam survey results.

Bought my wife Asus Zenbook (Ultrabook) some time ago. It has 1600x900 resolution 13.3" display, dual core Sandy Bridge (with HT), a 128 GB SSD drive and weights just over one kilogram. It actually beats my old trusty desktop in CPU benchmarks (both single threaded and multithreaded) and in productivity benchmarks (I have Core 2 Quad Q6600, 160 GB SSD, Radeon 5850) and the Ultrabook CPU consumes only 17 watts... Computers have evolved a lot in just a few years :)

Ah, yes that would explain alot. And ultrabook users would be just the type of person to get in on many of the more casual gametypes available in Steam as well well heavy graphics processing is relatively unneeded.

Regards,
SB

Ultrabooks.

I really doubt ultra books have such a big impact at the moment, I rather think that is about the growth of notebooks in general for gaming (Intel video card increase supports this), many inexpensive Core i3s/i5s (SB) with the HD3000 which is enough to play source engine games,
also there are many with the likes of GT 540 and other inexpensive discrete graphic cards...

APUs are mostly quad cores at the moment,

I wonder why the PC video card usage details page is not showing any card breakdown statistics as of now... is it supposed to blank out the results at the beginning of each month?

Code:
OVERALL DISTRIBUTION OF CARDS		FEB	MAR	APR	MAY	JUN	
DirectX 11 GPUs				35.62%	44.66%	44.50%	45.60%	0.00%	-45.60%
DirectX 10 GPUs				58.58%	47.12%	46.59%	45.78%	0.00%	-45.78%
DirectX 9 Shader Model 2b and 3.0 GPUs	3.87%	4.12%	4.19%	3.95%	0.00%	-3.95%
DirectX 9 Shader Model 2.0 GPUs		0.98%	1.98%	2.31%	2.18%	0.00%	-2.18%
DirectX 8 GPUs and below		0.95%	2.12%	2.41%	2.49%	100.00%	+97.51%

ALL VIDEO CARDS				FEB	MAR	APR	MAY	JUN	
Other					25.16%	30.01%	30.12%	30.36%	100.00%	+69.64%

DIRECTX 11 GPUS				FEB	MAR	APR	MAY	JUN	

DIRECTX 10 GPUS				FEB	MAR	APR	MAY	JUN	

DIRECTX 9 SHADER MODEL 2B AND 3.0 GPUS	FEB	MAR	APR	MAY	JUN	

DIRECTX 9 SHADER MODEL 2.0 GPUS		FEB	MAR	APR	MAY	JUN

Results are usually somewhat erratic in the beginning of the month, but not this screwed up. I don't know what's going on there.

PS: Do you live in a tree near a parking lot?

8AflY.jpg

Oooo, DX8 GPU's control the markets now :p
Results are usually somewhat erratic in the beginning of the month, but not this screwed up. I don't know what's going on there.

:cry: Hopefully they will fix it by tomorrow.

PS: Do you live in a tree near a parking lot?
Uhm... this is a 16-story apartment building! Google just hasn't vectorized this 3D model yet.
https://maps.google.com/maps?&q=55º38'33'' N, 37º28'37'' E

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/3101449
You can almost see me waiving from a balcony at the bottom-right side of the photo :LOL:

Still no data for June and I can't find a way to report this error to them.

Why couldn't they just keep May figures until June data is available is beyond me.

Back