New Steam survey results

A bit too much off-topic there guys, besides it's not nice bashing other people :p
And some in here play games on both PC and consoles. (note the plural.)

I have a slew of consoles prior to the current junk. Does this cause me to slip into filthy console peasant status and require me to turn in my elite gamer club gold card pass?

Surely the fact that I once submitted a Steam survey on a box with a Voodoo5 installed vindicates me. Right?

Not steam, but Newegg reports the 550 Ti was their best selling GPU this season. I had no idea that card was even on the radar.

http://www.marketwire.com/press-rel...ucts-This-Holiday-Shopping-Season-1602226.htm

The top-selling products on Newegg.com this holiday season by category were:
  • Laptops/Notebooks -- ASUS A53E-EH91 15.6" Notebook
  • Televisions -- Sceptre 32" 720p LCD HDTV
  • Video Games -- Microsoft XBOX 360 250GB Holiday Bundle with Halo Reach and Fable 3
  • Digital Cameras -- Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ47K 12.1 MP Digital Camera
  • Software -- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit
  • Monitors -- Acer G235HAbd 23" Widescreen LCD Monitor
  • CPUs/Processors -- Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3 GHz Processor
  • Motherboards -- ASUS P8Z68-V PRO Motherboard
  • Hard Drives -- Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002 500GB 3.5" Hard Drive
  • Memory -- G.SKILL Ripjaws Series F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL 8GB (2 x 4GB) Memory
  • Video Cards -- EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti Video Card

Not steam, but Newegg reports the 550 Ti was their best selling GPU this season. I had no idea that card was even on the radar.
You're not alone. I never considered those cards to be a good deal, probably because the 450 performance wasn't that great, but, from the Hardware Canucks review (which showed up first on Google):
Before we get too far into this section, it should be mentioned that NVIDIA’s aim for the GTX 550 Ti 1GB isn’t to replace the GTS 450. Rather, the GF116-based card will occupy the all-important $150 price point which makes it highly appealing for OEMs and the retail channel alike.
You can find a GTX460 in stock for $159 on Newegg, which is a much better deal for just $15 more. Those marketeers may be on to something about sweet spot pricing and such. Funny how that works.

You can find a GTX460 in stock for $159 on Newegg, which is a much better deal for just $15 more. Those marketeers may be on to something about sweet spot pricing and such. Funny how that works.

Speaking about marketeers... GTX 460 lacks the 5 as first digit and the signficant "Ti" indicating TITANeous (does that exist in english?) performance. Sad, but I think true nonetheless.

Not really.

GF 550 is a reasonable choice for many young people with entry level PSUs and having only one PCIe connector. Not everyone require to crank all the graphics setting up to the max to be able to enjoy some gaming.

madyasiwi said:
GF 550 is a reasonable choice for many young people with entry level PSUs and having only one PCIe connector.
Good point. I forgot that my entry level PSU was my reason to buy my current 8600GT. ;)

Almost all cards I've seen so far requiring two PCIe-6pins supply a molex adapter in the box. I mean, ok, if you're only reading what's on the box and then switch off your brains, that might be a point. :)

I imagine there's still a NV preference out there, which AMD has been solidifying lately, and that price is the other primary consideration. I don't think very many gamer people care to or have the capacity to consider other factors even if there are reviews to try to comprehend. ;)

If there is big feature disparity, like when AMD had DX11 and NV did not, I'd say that can change things.

I imagine there's still a NV preference out there, which AMD has been solidifying lately, and that price is the other primary consideration. I don't think very many gamer people care to or have the capacity to consider other factors even if there are reviews to try to comprehend. ;)

You really can't deduce that from the last piece of information alone. If Newegg sold 500 unit EVGA 550 Ti's, 250 unit Shappire 5770s and 350 unit Shappire 6770s; the EVGA one would still be the top selling card despite the fact that a 6770 is nothing but rebranded 5770 :D

March results are out. Interesting development:

There was a bug introduced into Steam's survey code several months ago that caused a bias toward older systems. Specifically, only systems that had run the survey prior to the introduction of the bug would be asked to run the survey again. This caused brand new systems to never run the survey. In March 2012, we caught the bug, causing the survey to be run on a large number of new computers, thus giving us a more accurate survey and causing some of the numbers to vary more than they normally would month-to-month.

Post the correction there were some significant swings:

Big jumps for

* Windows 7 64-bit
* Intel graphics
* DX11 graphics
* AMD CPUs

Big drops for

* The English language :LOL:
* Quad-core CPUs
* nVidia graphics
* Evergreen (5770, 5850, 5870)

Nice...pretty interesting.

Biggest shrink was Dx10/11 combined with XP. That's a good sign. Less reasons for developers to target DX9 in future projects, especially with next gen consoles presumably 2 years or less away. Unfortunately XP still has 16% of the Steam users still making it an attractive target for added sales. But at least it continues it's very slow decline.

64 bit systems at 60%. Really wish that would get larger. Hopefully, we'll have more developers offering a 64 bit version of their executable. Although without the death of 32 bit I doubt we'll ever really reap the benefits. (Targetted use of greater than 2 GB VA).

Bothersome. 2 CPU systems increased while 4 CPU systems decreased. 1 CPU systems also increased.

You can see the impact of Intel's integrated as both Nvidia and AMD dropped share. Hopefully Intel can greatly increase their performance as they now make up almost 10% of Steam systems making them an attractive lower bound for games.

7970 doing quite a bit better than 7950. Over twice as many 7970's as 7950's. But 7950 now showing the same month to month change at +12%

GTX 680 showing now. But with only a partial month and supply issues it's only at +04% month to month.

Next month's Steam report should have a full months worth of data for it.

I wish they'd show Mac versus PC share.

Regards,
SB

It's probably all those Core i3 flavours (with HT) and the higher-end 2500K (w/o HT) model. I don't think Steam Survey makes a difference between virtual and actual cores, for the stats.

But that would inflate the quad-core count not reduce it.

And that doesn't explain the rise in single core CPU share. I'm really not sure what to make of it. I haven't followed it much but are AMD's APUs single core? If so that might explain some of it.

Regards,
SB

It's probably all those Core i3 flavours (with HT) and the higher-end 2500K (w/o HT) model. I don't think Steam Survey makes a difference between virtual and actual cores, for the stats.

I think they do, as it clearly states "Physical CPUs." If you open the System Information window in Steam, it distinguishes between physical processors and logical processors.

There are some Bobcat CPU with only one core @ 40nm. However, all Llano have two or more cores IIRC.

Back