New Steam survey results

Which brings Nvidia Steam DX11 marketshare to 12.79%. I suppose that's moderately encouraging.

Perhaps a marketing campaign that highlights the superior end user experience of the Nvidia ecosystem would be useful.

MOD: Don't bring next-gen analysis into this thread

It looks good overall. It seems that the various AMD mobile parts are starting to sell in reasonable numbers although I guess it proves that overwhelmingly the PCs on Steam are desktop units rather than laptops.

I bet GeForce 4 outsold GeForce 3 too. I think we need more DX11 games to make more people want to upgrade. I don't think there's much point right now for people who have 8800GT level performance. There needs to be performance delta and more games that a 8800GT/4850 can't handle.

I can't wait to see what new consoles do to the industry.

Agreed, in theory any new console (other than perhaps Nintendo) should have a baseline of Dx11-ish features. Or Dx11+ depending on when they are released and when they were feature locked during developement.

Regards,
SB

Agreed, in theory any new console (other than perhaps Nintendo) should have a baseline of Dx11-ish features. Or Dx11+ depending on when they are released and when they were feature locked during developement.

Regards,
SB

Randy Pitchford noted during last weekend's DNF interviews that new consoles were still a few years out, so DX11 would be a minimum for me.

Over 60% of systems are DX10+ compliant, as Windows XP incurs a massive 5.17% :!: drop. At that rate DX9 will be entirely irrelevant in just a few short months.

Over 67% of systems have 3+GB of RAM. That kinda surprised me.

Also surprising, a full 37.59% of GPUs are GF8800 series or more in power. That's not counting anything from the "other" category or mobile stuff since I'm not familiar with what's what there.

An still no GTS 450? It's quite cheap and launched more than six weeks ago. I didn't imagine them being that unpopular.

An still no GTS 450? It's quite cheap and launched more than six weeks ago. I didn't imagine them being that unpopular.

I think both those results are consequences of the same phenomenon: preemptive price drops.

— AMD introduced price cuts for the HD 5700s just before the GTS 450 was launched, which turned it into a dud.
— NVIDIA did the same with the GTX 460 before the HD 6800s were launched, and that must have boosted sales significantly.

I think both those results are consequences of the same phenomenon: preemptive price drops.

— AMD introduced price cuts for the HD 5700s just before the GTS 450 was launched, which turned it into a dud.
— NVIDIA did the same with the GTX 460 before the HD 6800s were launched, and that must have boosted sales significantly.

According to the Steam stats GTX 460 was already doing really well in September. You might've been thrown off by a certain forum declaring it 'dead in retail' at the time, though.

Over 60% of systems are DX10+ compliant, as Windows XP incurs a massive 5.17% :!: drop. At that rate DX9 will be entirely irrelevant in just a few short months.

That's certainly welcome news. :smile:

Windows 7 has definitely had huge mass acceptance among gamers. Pretty impressive considering many gamers don't rely on store bought machines that come pre-packaged with the OS whether you want it or not, which means they've got to explicitly choose to buy a copy of Windows 7 for their machine.

13% of GPUs are DX11 yet only 5.6% of systems are DX11 capable.... jesus people, get rid of XP already!? I blame Davros.

Back