New Steam survey results

Assuming that the survey is wholly representative and basing off the total number of over 25M active Steam accounts we come up with:

HD 58xx: 455,000
HD 57xx: 400,000
HD 48xx: 1,612,500

88xx: 1,295,000
98xx:: 977,500
GTX 260: 762,500

Does that look right?

Looks like Win XP is falling fast - it lost 5.2% last month and Win7 64bit systems are already at 24.42% (increase of 5.38% from last month).

4 CPU gain is also accelerating. While 2 CPU continues the slide that started in January.

Win7 64 bit is showing phenomenal growth. That's really encouraging.

AMD CPU's continue a slow slide.

Both 5700 series and 5800 series saw almost a 1% gain in overall GPU share, which is the largest gain for both for any month to month period. Although there's some weirdness going on there as it isn't showing numbers for Oct for either of them.

Regards,
SB

4 CPU gain is also accelerating. While 2 CPU continues the slide that started in January.

Win7 64 bit is showing phenomenal growth. That's really encouraging.

AMD CPU's continue a slow slide.

Both 5700 series and 5800 series saw almost a 1% gain in overall GPU share, which is the largest gain for both for any month to month period. Although there's some weirdness going on there as it isn't showing numbers for Oct for either of them.

Regards,
SB

Numbers haven't been updated yet!

you'll see that the numbers jump from Jan to Mar .. there's no FEB!

I also couldn't find another way to explain AMD staying at 30.51% CPU share for two months straight, while losing 0.4+% every month.

this is from BSoN*'s March 9th article:
http://www.brightsideofnews.com/new...0-amd-radeon-hd-4800-takes-nvidias-crown.aspx
Intel grew by 0.43% to hold 69.48%, while AMD lost the identical percentage and now holds 30.51%.
Code:
Processor Vendor
Oct
Dec
Jan
Mar

GenuineIntel
68.80%
69.20%
69.05%
69.49%
+0.44%
AuthenticAMD
31.19%
30.79%
30.94%
30.51%
-0.43%

The 8800XYZ owning crowd is in a serious mood for upgrade.

For me, the real shocker was that the SM3 and older crowd still has ~20% install base.

Numbers haven't been updated yet!

you'll see that the numbers jump from Jan to Mar .. there's no FEB!

I also couldn't find another way to explain AMD staying at 30.51% CPU share for two months straight, while losing 0.4+% every month.

Ah they fixed it. At least for video cards. Hadn't noticed the Jan. to Mar. thing before. Now I'm seeing the expected numbers for Jan. - Feb. aand Feb. - Mar. Slow season with slow uptake. I expect 58xx/57xx were also somewhat slowed by the impending launch of GTX 4xx.

Regards,
SB

I suspect that the overall numbers of evergreen GPUs ought to pick up from here on out as greater numbers of OEM systems make it through the pipeline. I think the bigger win here is actually the mobility numbers especially as gaming on laptops is becoming a more viable value proposition now.

There are currently 13 models with ATI 5 series discrete GPUs which isn't too bad on Newegg.com, now I really really want the llano CPU to come out quicksmart for the mobile space. That is probably the biggest thing holding back the ATI chips from making as big a splash on the mobile scene as they ought to especially as llano is low power so hopefully this will translate into quite an excellent and balanced gaming laptop! Well, one can only dream right?

Alrighty, Win 7 just 4% shy of overtaking Win XP. Bad news is that the usual 2% monthly gain for 64-bit systems has dropped to +1%. Also, Win 2000 is back in the game heh.

steam_os_1003.png

The 8800XYZ owning crowd is in a serious mood for upgrade.

For me, the real shocker was that the SM3 and older crowd still has ~20% install base.

There is very few game titles that would entice someone to dump a SM 2.0 card for a SM 3.0 card, as always the hardware is years ahead of the game developers. Pc gaming is not a growing industry either...

Yeah it really depends on what your favorite genres are. Shooter adrenaline folk tend to be on the edge of tech a lot more than others in my experience. A R580 or G7x can get the job done in a lot of games still. I know a few people with X800/6800 level hardware yet too.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the most popular shooters is Team Fortress 2 with 45,000 servers...

Requirements:

Team Fortress 2, Portal and Half-Life 2: Episode Two Pixel Shader 1.1 and DirectX 8.1 :)

Pc gaming is not a growing industry either...
While the common sentiment, this is actually false. For the most part, PC gaming is still growing in a healthy manner.

While I don't disagree that there's not a lot of incentive for gamers to move to new hardware (I'd say anyone who owns DX10+ class hardware there's basically no reason unless you have a very high resolution monitor), things may shift somewhat with DX11. It will at the very least drag people onto DX10 hardware, if not reintroduce "feature upgrade" incentives for buying newer hardware, as we've seen in the first crop of DX11 games.

With that in mind, I'm actually impressed with how many people do keep reasonably up-to-date graphics hardware today. I don't remember any time historically when the larger consumer market invested as significantly in graphics hardware... even before the recent rise of the HD (I use this term loosely ;)) consoles the general consumer wasn't typically buying high-end gaming hardware.

What the PC industry needs is multiple launches of really good titles that would force people to upgrade, I remember seeing Quake 2 in GLIDE mode, next day I ran out and bought a Diamond Monster 3D 4 Meg 3dfx card :)

Games that have that kind of power would be Diablo 3 along with Quake 5, Unreal Tournament, Bioshock , these type of games stimulate consumers.

But Blizzard isn't really known for pushing the envelope on hardware requirements. At least Diablo III and SC2 are 3D and will need decent power. I hope they don't run well on integrated Intel graphics.

But Blizzard isn't really known for pushing the envelope on hardware requirements. At least Diablo III and SC2 are 3D and will need decent power. I hope they don't run well on integrated Intel graphics.

They won't push it, they've always supported really wide variety of hardware levels.
For Starcraft 2 beta, system requirements:
PC Minimum Requirements:
• Windows XP SP3/Vista SP1/Windows 7
• 2.2 Ghz Pentium IV or equivalent AMD Athlon processor
• 1 GB system RAM/1.5 GB for Vista and Windows 7
• 128 MB NVidia GeForce 6600 GT/ATI Radeon 9800 PRO video card
• 1024x768 minimum display resolution
• 4 GB free hard space (Beta)
• Broadband connection

I played the SC2 beta a bit on a 5770 and it is fairly demanding actually. On max settings at 1920x1080 it was not entirely smooth. I'd guess that the framerate range was something like 15-40. You aren't going to be running those settings on a 9800 Pro, let alone Intel Extreme Business 2D.

I hope it's not illegal or something to share this secret info with you guys. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
There is very few game titles that would entice someone to dump a SM 2.0 card for a SM 3.0 card, as always the hardware is years ahead of the game developers. Pc gaming is not a growing industry either...

Why would you dump a sm2 card for a sm3 card instead of sm5? ;)

While I don't disagree that there's not a lot of incentive for gamers to move to new hardware (I'd say anyone who owns DX10+ class hardware there's basically no reason unless you have a very high resolution monitor), things may shift somewhat with DX11. It will at the very least drag people onto DX10 hardware, if not reintroduce "feature upgrade" incentives for buying newer hardware, as we've seen in the first crop of DX11 games.

Yup. A friend of mine has a 9800gt and he says that he gets >30fps on all the games he plays as his monitor has 1440x900 resolution.

Why would you dump a sm2 card for a sm3 card instead of sm5? ;)

Because you only need to run something like Rainbow Six: Las Vegas?

As soon as there were SM3 only games, I switched (thanks digi!) Not every engine out there is as versatile as Source.

Back