What can be done about [H], Anand, & THG's BS regarding

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
Damn it, I SO want to do something to let everyone know just what the hell kind of drivel is being spoonfed to the masses out of "the big 3 hardware sites"...but I'm clueless as to what.

Even my own site is scared of the idea of doing a negative story on [H], which I JUST DON'T GET! :?

Is there anything anyone can do, I mean aside from getting pissed off on the boards?

What's wrong with Anands? Despite putting out an article once in a blue moon ofcourse..

He did raise hell over the NV30 after all. Not that I enjoyed ATI's massive Radeon 9700 banners that plastered all corners of the site during the Radeon 9700 review ;)

He had the 5900 graphs up for months that misrepresented it's performance even thought there were multiple threads started about it in his forums and it was an obvious error. (The card got the exact same framerates at 1024x768-1600x1200 or whatever.)

The first few threads about it in his forums were mysteriously deleted, and the one that stuck had some mods putting up some absolute BS in about why Anand didn't address the problem...for WEEKS!

He still ain't addressed the issue. :(

When people stop visiting and giving hits is only when the IHVs won't be 'obligated' to ship review cards. Heck, the quality of the reviews anymore on the net..with recent time demo optimizations and only a couple of sites have used a custom time demo.
A 10 year old could do better reviews.

Just don't go there, that is a start.

Nah, I want something that gets publicity.

I'm thinking of a grassroots campaign or something of getting some chalk and writing "nVidia LIES!!!" on the street/sidewalk/wall or something...but having people do it all over the world so it makes it into the news just out of the sheer curiousity factor.

If I owned a farm right now I'd mow a "crop circle" that said it. ;)

I met Anand for the first time over the weekend and he presented some very good insights. I hope I meet him again sooner or later and get the opportunity to chat with him further.

DaveBaumann said:
I met Anand for the first time over the weekend and he presented some very good insights. I hope I meet him again sooner or later and get the opportunity to chat with him further.
Even without ever having met Anand (i.e. via emails... he nevers fails to compliment me, although this has no influence on what I have to say... I just wish I have the opportunity to meet him, more than any other reknowned web personnels in this 3D industry because he'd said we must meet sometime back), I can tell he is a young and matured fella, who knows exactly what's happening.

Sometimes, when you're in a business and you're just handling a lot of things, things just get extra touchy and sensitive and you need to decide how to handle it as best you can... mostly from the POV of not jeopardizing your money-making concern.

Sometimes, when you're in a business and you're just handling a lot of things, things just get extra touchy and sensitive and you need to decide how to handle it as best you can... mostly from the POV of not jeopardizing your money-making concern.

Perhaps so, but this doesn't do much for the people who buy their graphics cards on the basis of his sites erroneous reviews and failure to mention 'optimisation/cheating' driver scandals.

Dave, did you talk at all about his 5900 article? More specifically, about the attitude of his reviewers and the extreme delay (um, still ongoing, as some questionable text is still intact) in correcting some benches? Is he, like Brent, "too busy" to do a proper review of his review? Is he concerned about the disservice he's doing to his readers? I haven't heard a single word out of him regarding the large fracas in AT's forums over his article and his non-reaction to our concerns.

This virtual stonewalling is all the more puzzling because he's probably the online reviewer I respect the most, if not in terms of video card review competence, at least in regards to personality and maturity--he seems like a genuinely nice guy.

Pete said:
Dave, did you talk at all about his 5900 article? More specifically, about the attitude of his reviewers and the extreme delay (um, still ongoing, as some questionable text is still intact) in correcting some benches? Is he, like Brent, "too busy" to do a proper review of his review? Is he concerned about the disservice he's doing to his readers? I haven't heard a single word out of him regarding the large fracas in AT's forums over his article and his non-reaction to our concerns.

This virtual stonewalling is all the more puzzling because he's probably the online reviewer I respect the most, if not in terms of video card review competence, at least in regards to personality and maturity--he seems like a genuinely nice guy.
Damn it, you posted up the questions I was going to post! :p

I agree I like/respect Anand as a person, but the compromises he is making if he is aware of what's going on for the sake of his business would sort of tank his credibility with me. :(

What are we supposed to do, take him seriously when he tells us the truth and forgive him when he fudges the facts to make a bigger profit?

Hi there,
zurich said:
Not that I enjoyed ATI's massive Radeon 9700 banners that plastered all corners of the site during the Radeon 9700 review ;)
On a side note, it seems as if Anand is just the most obvious of the major reviewing sites regarding that bit. In "traditional" media, it's the usual thing to publish a review or "article" on a topic and have the "winning" party know beforehand what's in it to secure further ad places. You'd be surprised how many "articles" and "reviews" in print magazines are actually written by the company's marketing department and signed by a magazine's editor. Be especially careful if you see a "free journalist" sign an article . . .

In that respect, Anand seems just ahead of the game. Be prepared to see more such "funny" correspondences in the not too distant future, on the web. It's not as if marketeers were totally stupid or very imaginative.

-Sascha.rb

What I don't get about using custom timedemos, is that won't they only prevent clipping optimizations/cheats? If the drivers say, disable trilinear or mess with the mip levels, whats a custom timedemo going to do to stop it? These occur on the game engine level, not the demo.

nggalai said:
Hi there,
zurich said:
Not that I enjoyed ATI's massive Radeon 9700 banners that plastered all corners of the site during the Radeon 9700 review ;)
On a side note, it seems as if Anand is just the most obvious of the major reviewing sites regarding that bit. In "traditional" media, it's the usual thing to publish a review or "article" on a topic and have the "winning" party know beforehand what's in it to secure further ad places. You'd be surprised how many "articles" and "reviews" in print magazines are actually written by the company's marketing department and signed by a magazine's editor. Be especially careful if you see a "free journalist" sign an article . . .

In that respect, Anand seems just ahead of the game. Be prepared to see more such "funny" correspondences in the not too distant future, on the web. It's not as if marketeers were totally stupid or very imaginative.

-Sascha.rb

well that's scary

I have to voice a different take on the issue. At least sites like Tom's and [H] have ignorance on their side. But if Anand knows exactly what is going on, yet says absolutely nothing about it, that is truly despicable. I can understand why he said nothing about 3dmark03, as obviously NVIDIA does not admit to cheating there, looking at ExtremeTech and Tom's their official position seems to be that the oddities were driver bugs :rolleyes:

However, something like what NVIDIA is doing in UT2003 is completely unexcusable. Major hardware sites don't need to say NVIDIA is cheating. They don't need to imply it or make that conclusion. But they should present the facts(IQ is being decreased, whether it be a cheat or a bug). I have to say, that despite [H]'s latest review making glowing comments about UT2003 performance, [H] is going in the right direction by not just feeding readers graphs and results, but by also including commentary on how games actually played. Certainly this is a step forward from what we've seen in the past.

The fact is, that any unusual behavior experienced in tests run for the review should be noted clearly in said review if that knowledge is known to the reviewer.

Well to answer the topic
Stop visiting the sites to stop give them hits.
I've already stopped visiting Anandtech, waiting til they fix their 5900u review. But i will return there in time
Stopped visiting [H], don't trust them. Even if they did use custom timedemo's it would be "unknowingly" leaked and a driver release from a certain IHV would be released before the review
Still visiting toms. Maybe they'll get better or maybe not

I honestly think a class action lawsuit should be filed against Nvidia for years of consumer fraud by cheating in ways that make their product look better than it actually is. They have been doing this for years as what we've found out lately it goes all the way back to 3dmark 2001, and timedemo's in nearly every game used as a benchmark.

I also think sites like Hardocp should be included in this as it's pretty freakin obvious they have helped Nvidia spread the lies about their video cards and are more than likely getting direct payments from them as an extension of their marekting department.

If this happened in a laymans industry i.e. non technical and easily understood by the public, the lawsuits would be flying, and this industry would be shaklen to it's core and I'm sure the feds would get involved considering the amount of money this industry generates and how many millions of dollars Nvidia has pretty much stolen from it's customers by cheating their way into people's wallets.

Has Nvidia ever really been the video card leader? have they ever produced a product that was the fastest best card out there without cheats? We will probably never know but people bought there cards because they were lied to into thinking that Nvidia was the best choice.

I do hope the law eventually gets involved and tries to regualte this type of crap as this is consumer fraud in it's purest form.

Easy way to deal with them is by not visiting the site(s). In short, ignor them. Sooner or later as interest passes, so does the income.

Back