Real3d R3D/100, has anyone ever seen it?

you know the Hercules Thriller Conspiracy (Rendition V2x00)
is more or less the same as a Diamond Stealth II
or does it have to be a hercules card

you know the Hercules Thriller Conspiracy (Rendition V2x00)
is more or less the same as a Diamond Stealth II
or does it have to be a hercules card

Not exactly, "Thriller Conspiracy" combined a Fujitsu FXG-1 Pinolite geometry processor with a V2200 core to create a card with full T&L, it never properly made it to the market.

The one you mean is the Hercules Thriller 3D which has the V2200 chip. I've got the QDI model of the V2200. :)

lmreal3d5crop669x14039xs.jpg

http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/3513/lmreal3d1crop694x15092mp.jpg
http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/3945/lmreal3d3crop620x14669lq.jpg

Thriller Conspiracy likely never arrived because V2200 was blown away by Voodoo2 and its T&L support would've only helped out old CPUs with some OpenGL games. It didn't really have a market to go after.

V2x00 lacks per-pixel mip mapping, btw. Only does per-poly. Even Riva 128 is a better choice as your GPU because of that. Ick. I ran Half Life on one not too long ago and it's not so pleasing to see textures changing detail per triangle. And not only that but its OpenGL support is not very stable and was left in a beta state.

Yea, those are the scans I have got as well, very nice reading.

I know; it's off topic, but you were talking about Rendition cards,
and I'm collecting Rendition cards, and so I've got to link 3 Pics:

The Hercules Thriller 3D AGP is the upper one and on the left side below is the Jazz Multimedia Outlaw in the non-hybrid version.

And by the way, my lovely Engineering Sample: ;)
http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/1856/1002433jf7.jpg
http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/4364/1002434ut0.jpg

Excellent little collection, I love the engineering sample. I've seen that board before, don't know where, maybe wikipedia.

May I ask how you got a hold of that board?

I have a few Rendition cards myself. The photos on Wikipedia are of a few of mine. Here's what's definitely a reference design for V2200, probably from Rendition itself. It is fully featured. It works ok too, but the memory is getting iffy and can show some artifacts.

I've been addicted to Verite cards since I first read about them in Computer Gaming World back in '95, I think. When Carmack was saying they'd be the premier platform for Quake, newfangled 3D gamers were being hyped, and N64/PS1/Saturn were all the rage. I followed the 3D Blaster PCI for a long time. A friend of mine picked up an Intergraph Reactor and said it was decent.

I didn't end up owning a Rendition 3D card until I got a Diamond Stealth II S220 for $50 when they were on firesale direct from Diamond. It was an interesting (if buggy) card that was not really a replacement for a Voodoo in any way.

The software/drivers for the cards is very weak stuff. Drivers don't always work with games and just setting the refresh rate of your desktop can be tricky. Development stopped on a beta release and that release is not pretty. Drivers from the IHVs have old D3D support (prior to the beta D3D reworks), but are the most functional for Windows 2D. Windows 2D is pretty slow on all of them. DOS VGA performance is slower than probably the slowest ISA Trident card, believe it or not. Don't try Doom on one of these cards. SVGA is great though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very very nice board, unfortunately I don't have any reference boards, or pre production boards. Here are mine. Date on sticker is the date of the official announcement.

From what I gathered as well, is that the boards in principle weren't too bad, except ridiculously slow Dos performance, but the drivers really were poor.

Thanks for sharing your pictures.

I've also got this Diamond Stealth 2! ;)

A Thriller 3D PCI with 8MB and ViVo is currently also in use.

@Tim: I've buyed this card from TM30, some Time ago.
It's also my only V1000 card, because they are very rare here in Germany... :cry:

Funny: This Card shows a "Phoenix Bios"-animation during the start. :D

vQuake is also very impressive: You don't need a driver, only a .bat file to start and you can use anti-aliasing under Dos!

V2x00 lacks per-pixel mip mapping, btw. Only does per-poly. Even Riva 128 is a better choice as your GPU because of that. Ick. I ran Half Life on one not too long ago and it's not so pleasing to see textures changing detail per triangle. And not only that but its OpenGL support is not very stable and was left in a beta state.

You're right.
I've testet many old cards in one system @ 3DMark99Max, and made a
list to compare:
http://wp1127489.wp157.webpack.hosteurope.de/board/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=15507

There are also some "unusual" cards like the Cirrus Logic CL5465, the Alliance AT3D and the S3 Trio3D et cetera.

Ah TM30, yep he had some really nice and special cards. Shame he sold (part of?) his collection.

Sweet, you've got a CL5465 too, I've got the CL5465 (PCI) as well, the Creative Blaster CT6500, Laguna 3D, very rare that board. :)

Don't know what chip the Alliance AT3D has, what chip is that? Is that a Dual Planar Rush?

Yes, a Hercules Stingray 128 3D has a Alliance AT3D chip.

By the way: This chip has a much better Image quality than the AT25 and even a higher 2D Performance then the MX86251! :!:

If you remove the 3dfx part and close the open Jumper near the PCI Port, you got a normal Alliance AT3D graphics card, wich supports Direct 3D. But it seems to have no support for Bilinear filtering:
at3dkw8.jpg

(I've used a driver from driverguide.com)

I've also got the PCI version of the Laguna 3D with 3.5MB from a unknown manufacturer, but also only the AGP Version has 4MB and supports full Bilinear filtering.
And 3dMark99 needs min. 4MB to run...

The AGP Laguna is even able to run Unreal Tournament under D3D!
Lava Giant 400*300,16, Low, no lightning: (Min-Max): 12-20 FPS

Not much, but enough for FinalFantasy 7 for example. ;)

I've got only the normal ELSA GLoria.
But I've got some other CAD Graphic cards.

But they are not very usable for playing... ;)

Exept: My ATI Fire GL 4 with IBM IBM RC1000 256-Bit 2D/3D-Rasterisation-Engine and the GT1000 geometry engine:

It's able to run Q3A with 1024@32Bit and all details. :D

do you have a ELSA GLoria-XXL its a permedia2 with a glint geometry processor

ps: found this on ebay thought you may be interested
http://cgi.ebay.com/Appian-Graphics...4|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:0|293:2|294:50

they have a store with lots of old cards
http://www.cheapvideocards.info/nine/

Yes, a Hercules Stingray 128 3D has a Alliance AT3D chip.

By the way: This chip has a much better Image quality than the AT25 and even a higher 2D Performance then the MX86251! :!:

If you remove the 3dfx part and close the open Jumper near the PCI Port, you got a normal Alliance AT3D graphics card, wich supports Direct 3D. But it seems to have no support for Bilinear filtering:

(I've used a driver from driverguide.com)

I've also got the PCI version of the Laguna 3D with 3.5MB from a unknown manufacturer, but also only the AGP Version has 4MB and supports full Bilinear filtering.
And 3dMark99 needs min. 4MB to run...

The AGP Laguna is even able to run Unreal Tournament under D3D!
Lava Giant 400*300,16, Low, no lightning: (Min-Max): 12-20 FPS

Not much, but enough for FinalFantasy 7 for example. ;)

Very nice, never knew that they supported D3D. :)

At Davros, is that Elsa card a CAD/workstation card?

Sierra Screamin' 3D (V1000) that's obviously just a rebranded Total 3D.

Voodoo Rush (Intergraph Intense 3D Voodoo).

Creative Labs Graphics Blaster 3D (CL Laguna 3D). An awful chip, btw.

I have a pair of OEM Stealth II S220s

2x STB Blackmagic 3D (Voodoo2 12MB) in SLI

Diamond Viper II Z200 (S3 Savage 2000)

I have a ridiculous number of cards. I recycled the VLB collection a couple of years ago tho lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back