Trine (download title)

At the moment it's PSN and PC only according to the official website. And in the context of the console forum, the console(s) it's on matters but not whether it's on PC or not. Any discussion of this game on PC can be held in a Trine thread in the PC forum.

Although...with more and more cross-platform titles going PC, there's a case to be made for just combining all game talk into one scary forum... :oops:

No XBLA version in development at the moment. This Eurogamer article explains Trine as a project was 'a big mess' :

There's been confusion over an Xbox Live Arcade version of Trine recently, too. US publisher Atlus confirmed it at E3, but this was later dubbed "speculation" by Frozenbyte. Is it or isn't it coming to XBLA?
"Well do you think we want to do things the easy way? Hah," quipped Kinnunen. "Seriously, we want Trine to be on XBLA but it, too, is out of our hands. We're working with Atlus to make it happen but it depends on so many things again."
"You know, at one point Trine was a PC-only game. That's how it started. We're really happy that it's coming to PSN and if we get it to XBLA, then we're even happier. The problem is that this is not really the optimal way to do a game (or a game launch).

I played the PC demo today. Very nice game! I'll wait for a XBLA version or pick up the PC version when it becomes cheaper.

The Steam version is still $10 more than the PSN version. The retail version is actually $20 more! Steam had Trine up for $19.99 at first, but the price was corrected to $29.99. Retail is $39.99 and PSN is $19.99.

The game is kinda nifty, but I haven't been able to get the controls set up satisfactorily in the demo with my Dual Shock 2 controller. More devs need to follow the example of Overlord and provide a diagram of the default controls on a 360 controller so you can match it on your own set up. The fact that you have to set up controls for each character type independently makes it even more tedious.

It's such an odd story. The quote suggests that they'd like to sell the game at $30, so why is it cheaper on PSN? Sony forcing the publisher to keep the price down? A higher cut on PSN than on steam (doubtful)? Some sort of joint publisher deal? But the game's not exclusive at all.

So I changed jump the right mouse button, because thats what my jump has been for over a decade in every game. Everything is perfect, except now I cant pick up a box with the wizard, since that used to be that button. It still works fine for the thief, its the grapple still. There are no options in the game for changing what the default two mouse buttons are. Anyone have the same issue?

I've already beaten the game on the PC. I used a wired 360 controller... I will definitely get this on XBLA if it has online co-op. Heck, either way, the co-op will be fun on either the 360 or PS3.

Trine is starting to promote awareness on PSN: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/07/09/an-introduction-to-trine-coming-soon-to-psn/

Trine is a fantasy action and platform game that combines 2D gameplay with 3D graphics. The game is balanced between action and puzzle-solving sequences. Three heroes are bound to a mysterious device called the Trine in a quest to save the kingdom from evil, and the player can at any time freely choose whoever is best suited for the upcoming challenge or puzzle.

Last time I checked, it's coming on last week of July (to US PSN).

Back