What is your favourite texturing method?

Lawjokel

Newcomer
Hey, I'm conducting a research project into character texturing, I think I'll mainly be looking into normal maps. I'm not a particularly advanced modeller but have developed a keen interest over the past couple of months modelling a character for a module on my university course.

One of the things I was dissapointed with was that I didn't get time to look into texturing in great detail.
I've got a big animation project coming up and I want to make sure I get suitable texturing for the characters.

If anyone has any knowledge or opinions to offer on how to achieve good textures then I'd really appreciate the input.

since no one has answered I will bestow uopn you my wisdom

cube enviroment mapping - cos it looks good
and as someone once said "shiny = better" :D

Would you mind go into a bit more detail about what you're looking for?

Is it how to texture the scene, how to create textures, how to use the different channels in 3ds max?

Well any info is good, but in a general way I'm looking to find different ways to use UVW mapping and the different types of maps there are i.e. normal, parallax, displacement maps etc

I also want to know if people prefer using 3DsMax alone with the Mat Editor or alongside programs such as Photoshop and why that is.
Also if people prefer mapping simply without using UVW coordinates.

I plan to do some scene renders, texturing it at least three different ways to see how high quality renders can be achieved without extending render times too dramatically.

I'm thinking in a 3D film context rather than games design, as I'm trying to plan a production pipeline for a lengthy project and I want to be as efficient as possible.

I hope this helps explain my query more.:D

Pretty much everyone uses UV mapping and yes, Photoshop and GIMP are used for texture.

UV map, then do an initial sketch of what you want (major features) inside your 3d modeller, then export the map to Photoshop.

In 3d non-game context parallax maps aren't used, that's more of a real-time tech. "real" displacement is used.

Back