5900Ultra review at [H]ard OCP

nelg said:
Brent is a paid professional.
Hmm...

What's the difference between a guy that writes reviews for a website... and being a "professional" at this... I wonder... don't you need some kind of a degree to be acknowledged as a professional in any field?

DaveBaumann said:
Sigh. It appears that my IP is now banned at [H] forums.

Dave, be aware that the truth pisses some people off. :LOL:

I'm not surprised that it happened. They are [H]'s tactics for dealing with people who go after the truth.

In Brent's defense, it looked like he simply didn't fully understand the situation. Once Dave Explained it to him on the HardOCP forums, it seemed like he realized that the issue was more significant than he originally had thought. Being someone who just doesn't understand 3d graphics as well as most people on this board (but I'm learning :) ), I can understand how something like that would happen.

Personally, I visit HardOCP daily. I think Brent does (usually) good reviews of video cards, and the site can be useful for things other than just video card reviews. Naturally, I take everything I read there (and pretty much anywhere on the internet) with a grain of salt. I use the information presented in multiple places to draw my own conclusions, and having more sources of information is often better than having fewer.

Sadly, the thread regarding brent's review has since been locked by kyle. I can't say I'm surprised.

And now for a little off topic tidbit...I just recently started posting on the forums, so I think I'll introduce myself! I am a computer science student and will be entering my senior year this coming fall. I've been fascinated by computers, and computer games/graphics for as long as I can remember. I've been reading these forums for a while and have learned a lot! I look forward to learning even more! :D

There is no defense that can be reached or construed in this case.

The pre-knowledge was there, the review stands in it's original form, the thread has been locked with the typical "maybe someday we will revisit (read- hahahaha)" and if Dave isn't encountering some form of internet/ISP problem or routing issue, he's been banned from contributing on their forums. Can anyone say Intel/P4 debacle? (the infamous mass banning and thread deletion cover-up of days past over at the [H]).

The double-standards run rich and deep at that site. My only regret is having given them a hit by the post of the link on this thread. What's the most dissapointing though is their forums aren't even a trustworthy source of information either with proven evidence of manipulation, bannings, thread locks and other such nonsense.

Reverend said:
nelg said:
Brent is a paid professional.
Hmm...

What's the difference between a guy that writes reviews for a website... and being a "professional" at this... I wonder... don't you need some kind of a degree to be acknowledged as a professional in any field?

A. Expectation

I am not saying that you need to be a professional in order to do a good job. In fact its been my experience that amuters (hobbyist) tend to do a better job. The difference in all this is that when someone is paid to do a job I am less forgiving of these kind of mistakes.

I joined their forums a while back to as the review quality was coming around, had a few usual arguements with Kyle. I quickly realized it was useless to debate with him, he simply locks the thread when the truth is exposed or deletes it completley :LOL:

Don't lose no sleep over it.... ;)

Doomtrooper said:
I joined their forums a while back to as the review quality was coming around, had a few usual arguements with Kyle. I quickly realized it was useless to debate with him, he simply locks the thread when the truth is exposed or deletes it completley :LOL:

Don't lose no sleep over it....shows what kind of slimeball he is ;)

Mmm, noticed that when i used to go there long time ago when other debattes was going on. And simply unmotivated lock and deletion of threads. And some banning to make sure the "troublemakers" never come back. Is that what all debatting at [H] leads too?

DaveBaumann said:
Sigh. It appears that my IP is now banned at [H] forums.

The thread itself is locked over there. Maybe you just couldn't post in that thread or did they disable you from logging in completely?

Oh, no. When I go to the root forum URL I get a message saying my account doesn't have permission to access the forum, if I then logout it tells me my IP is blocked.

Gees, it'll feel even better when Kyle and that site is brought down for helping perpetuate's Nvidia's consumer fraud.

I still have faith that Brent will investigate the issue and properly give this the attention it deserves. I think he realizes now that he dropped the ball on this one and will try to make things better.

Over the next couple of months we will all have a better idea on who can be truly trusted when it comes to honest, precise reviewing as the cat is out of the bag, so-to-speak. I think both Nvidia and ATI should both have their respective IQ's thouroughly investigated by more reviewers to ensure the public that they are indeed delivering what they promise.

Edit: "Oh, no. When I go to the root forum URL I get a message saying my account doesn't have permission to access the forum, if I then logout it tells me my IP is blocked."

Now that is just wrong!! Brent why is this happening???

Back