[PS3] Uncharted 2

A lot of people hoped/hope that their next game is Jack&Daxter!

The question is always if you overmilk an IP...for me UC2 is nearly the perfect Uncharted game- I cannot imagen how UC3 could be better than this, without changing the soul of the IP, or doing the same stuff just more pretty...just yesterday, we had ultimate fun playing together the coop online modes of UC2!

So this is the reason why I thought that they could maybe move to Jack&Daxter and give the UC series a break??

I agree with this. What can you possibly do with Uncharted 3 to top the second game? They nailed basically every aspect of part 2. If you make it any bigger you're running the risk of becoming totally ridiculous. It's not a God of War game after all.
I also think that so far Naughty Dog hit the peak of every franchise they created in part 2, while ending on not quite so overwhelming part 3s. At least that's my opinion on both Crash Bandicoot 3 and Jak 3.

I don't really want another Jak game either. That story is done (and it ended on an unexpected, funny and quite ingenious note if you ask me) and when I tried the latest entry on the PSP I also realized just how lame the main character actually is.

I'd rather have something entirely new myself. Maybe something Zelda-esque (as in puzzle heavy action adventure game)?

I just finished Uncharted 2 earlier in the week. I thought it was pretty good and easily my favorite platformer/TPS on PS3.

I only found 30ish/100 treasures. I was a little annoyed at times when it appeared the background or enemies got a little bit out of focus while it seemed that the game was trying to catch up. I liked it much better than the first one, particularly because there was no nausea inducing Jet Ski sections.

I just finished Uncharted 2 earlier in the week. I thought it was pretty good and easily my favorite platformer/TPS on PS3.

I only found 30ish/100 treasures. I was a little annoyed at times when it appeared the background or enemies got a little bit out of focus while it seemed that the game was trying to catch up. I liked it much better than the first one, particularly because there was no nausea inducing Jet Ski sections.

I recommend you some online gaming!!
If you have some friends with UC2, try the coop stuff - it is really cool and try some coop online modes like survive (basically a Gears Horde clone)!

And even the competitive modes are a lot of fun if you are into Gears style of MP gaming!

I recommend you some online gaming!!
If you have some friends with UC2, try the coop stuff - it is really cool and try some coop online modes like survive (basically a Gears Horde clone)!

And even the competitive modes are a lot of fun if you are into Gears style of MP gaming!

I love Gears, so that is really tempting. I haven't updated my PS3 though.
My wife really enjoyed watching me play it as well, although she didn't watch all of it.

I'm excited to see what they do with the franchise next.

I had a little laugh with the behind the scenes section talking about their "innovations" in the online department....party up, group chat, saved films, etc....all sounds vaguely familiar.

The photo mode in U2 is interesting. You can adjust the camera view and special effects to achieve different looks.

The MP in U2 is slightly different from others because you can platform the level. Be aware of enemies hiding on high elevation.

Isn't that just the gun/aim related depth-of-field effects? What you aim at is where the depth of field focus is placed. So if you aim in the distance, the details in the distance come into focus and vice versa.

I only found 30ish/100 treasures. I was a little annoyed at times when it appeared the background or enemies got a little bit out of focus while it seemed that the game was trying to catch up. <snip>
Thats the DoF-Effect like Arwin said. Its actually one of the most impressive implementations of DoF in my opinion because you actually don`t notice it if you play through the game (and dont look for blinking pixels on the edge of the screen I suppose) - it just seems natural like the real thing. I only realized the effect when someone else was playing.
Compared to that, every other game seems to brutally force you to take notice of the effect.. kinda like those damn lens-flares every "cool" game had to have back in the PS1/N64 era.

The worst offender is Borderlands that blurs objects you're shooting at, making it very hard to actually target the enemy!

The DOF effect when you aimed blurred everything behind what you were aiming at. But if you happen to accidentally look at a small object in front of your target or something else gets gets in the way the blur can sometimes interfere with your aiming, but there were only a couple of times in the campaign when I noticed.

The Fort multiplayer map demonstrates this. Pan the camera across the center area and see the DOF rapidly shift focus due to the various crates and obstacles. A bit distracting.

As N_B said, sometimes it would focus on objects/background I was not trying to focus on and blur what was the intended item. It seemed to work well for the most part, but there were instances of it being a little bit buggy.

As I said, it appeared that the CPU was trying to catch up or was confused at what you really wanted to look at...it didn't happen too often, but it was annoying when it did.

I like the game and I'm tempted on playing it again on the next difficulty level.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/5883/a_deeper_look_into_the_combat_.php

A Deeper Look Into The Combat Design Of Uncharted 2

Hello, my name is Benson Russell, and I'm an addi-- wait... wrong meeting! I'm a designer here at Naughty Dog in beautiful Santa Monica, and I was the primary combat designer for Uncharted 2: Among Thieves. I helped to implement the majority of the combat encounters across the game, as well as work with other designers and our programmers in developing our AI and weapons systems.

That being so, I wanted to write an article regarding how we approached combat encounter design for Uncharted 2. It turns out there was a lot of information to share, so I was given the opportunity to create a short series of articles on the subject. This is the first in that series, and I hope you find the information... informative.

After spending a brutal amount of time online with this game, basically all the different co-op modes with my buddies...I have to change my opinion:

old list of Billy's best looking PS3 games:

1.) GOW 3
2.) KZ 2
3.) UC 2

Billy's new list:

1.) UC2
2.) GOW3
3.) KZ2 (poor ol KZ, I hope that KZ 3 skyrockets you at number one again ;-))

During oline gaming, I spend some time looking around at the different online maps - and hell, it is now the best looking game for me, no doubt!

My most favorite online maps with respect to graphics:

-The Village
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW-vMDHTl-0
(although it rains, it has some kind of cool color parlette and after a while it hits you: super looking stuff)

- The Fort
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zM42EsSSt_4
(here, especially the underground part is a stunner)

- The Highrise
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KBbXYJSR6I&feature=related
(some stunning vistas, and extremely impressive, but subtle lightning in the inner parts, and it is like a cool free running map gameplay wise)

Yesterday, I finally finished the most amazing game made in the history of Mankind :D ! I know I am late to the party, but Damn >>>>>This game is so amazing ! WHat an stupendous ride ! What do these Naughty Dogs eat ? I mean, just when u think u have seen the best it can offer, the next level comes up and you are left absolutely wide-eyed and pumping buttons like a little child ! How can someone crap so much awesomeness into a single game :D????

I have a smile pasted on my face now, and I can't wipe it off! Oh dear, what a ride :cool: ! Such a cheerful story, such an amazing cast and the gameplay stays rock solid throughout, with the best implemented difficulty curve in a game. The game smoothly increased difficulty just as my skill with the game kept improving. So well done that I never felt it. Somehow, this is one game where I never feel cheated by he AI ever. Love It !!!!

and the amazing Cast that ND has created....Ah ! I think I am absolutley ready to go on another adventure with DRake, Elena and Sully. They just cheer me up ! I am finding it difficult to continue my Heavy Rain run, as U2 has left me too happy to drown myself in the tragedy of HR.

And then I took it online, ................wonder wonder, the co-op is super super fun and one can still find players almost immediately ! Well DOne ND ! My $60 will always be ready for ur next venture, whenever that happens and whatever game it is !(just don't turn Drake into a darker character, I am sick of seeing gloomy sad faces in my video games:rolleyes: ! Yes, we need to save the world, but why not do it with a smile ! Love u Drake !)

Happy Happy Happy ! Thats me right now :p !

Actually, custom pistol fight in competitive MP is amazing too.

In competitive MP, you can platform to obscure locations (e.g., upstairs) to flank your enemies also.

I've recently played through all three coop missions on hard in 2 player. Was a satisfying challenge. Also played through Uncharted 1 for the platinum, and boy, were those controls awkward! Very frustrating on Crushing difficulty. Very good games though. Really hope U3 has a full coop campaign.

I'm looking at my 6th now, which I think will put my top of my list of friends, although people like Deep have way more overall points. Sadly other PSN games I have 100% for don't count - I'm something of a completionist!

Ha ha, I don't have a single Platinum in my collection. T_T

Me neither. Don't have the time and I haven't encountered enough games that are interesting enough to warrant the hours spent so far. Every game I have a high percentage of trophies for is just because I liked it enough to get there. It's a miracle I made it to level 8 regardless. ;) Games like Shatter (all but the boss rush mode in 10 min one), Super Stardust (66%), or Critter Crunch (just missing some puzzle levels) are games I just couldn't stop playing, and everything in there is fun. Even Shatter's Bosh Rush mode I recently returned to, bringing it down from something like 26 minutes (glad to have even made it) down to about half that. But 10 minutes is daunting.

On the other hand I also like games that are just crazy hard to get all trophies on and take a huge time investment. Looking at the list of games I've recently played, there are Singstar Dance (just a few additional trophies to Singstar just for the Dance bit - and Singstar's trophies are crazy), Rockstar 3 (some trophies I don't even have the instrument yet, and you need to play 100 songs at a high level for each instrument for platinum - which means singing, guitar normal and pro, bass normal and pro, drums normal and pro - and I'll likely never have a pro-drumset - keys normal and pro), The Fight: Lights Out (which has a 100 fights to beat in the offline campaign, and after 6 hours play I have about 5 fighter down), Sports Champions (where I'm not even close despite having most sports on gold - you also need crazy stuff like having your opponent evade your disc 10 times, etc. - happened to me once so far). Even the PSN games I buy are crazy long (like Tumble, pfew). Start the Party is the one that seems the most doable in that respect, but even there I still have quite a bit to go.

Actually, custom pistol fight in competitive MP is amazing too.

In competitive MP, you can platform to obscure locations (e.g., upstairs) to flank your enemies also.

Played some Competitve last night, and guess what......Its not what I thought, I thought it would be a mediocre attempt, instead it is very very fun :D ! Lots of people still playing is a testament to that. I was really worried that I would get raped as I am level 1(2 now or was it 4 ?) and people there were level 43 and like, but its so well done that I had equal chance as them. Loved it , in fact kept playing for too long and ended up with red eyes :LOL: ! I think this could become my addiction untill Infamous 2 arrives :p !

Why is the cinema option available only under MP? I remember ND talking about a machinima mode where you could stage your own scenes and acting and record dialogues with lip sync on a green background. Where is all that??? and can I save my matches so that I don't have to go online to tinker and take photos ?

Also, how do I get boosters in MP? It says none in my profile menu :-/ !

@Billy Idol: and yes , its the best looking MP around, no doubt ! :)

Also, how do I get boosters in MP? It says none in my profile menu :-/ !

@Billy Idol: and yes , its the best looking MP around, no doubt ! :)

if you level up, you unlock them in the shop (I guess you have to press R1 or soemthing like this to enter the shop in the lobby). There you can spend your money on the boosters (you can also check, which level is needed for unlocking of specific bosters). If you buy it, you can hit square [] (or something like this) to enter the booster menu and choose one...you have to slots, each with different types of boosters...

Back